Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to replace the sprockets/chain on my 03 750. It currently is a 520 conversion (15/45). I'm looking at several different chain kits/sprockets (I want to keep it a 520)....I just wanted to get some opinions of which ones you all like.....there are a good many choices out there.

I like to drive it hard in the lower gears, so I'd like to get a chain that does not stretch a lot. The current one I have on there is Lord knows how old, and it has loosened at least 1&1/4- 1&1/2 inches since I've had it (@ 7 months). Any suggestions??

·
Registered
533 Posts
motomummy.com

i went with the ek mvx? or somthing like that, its rated to a 1300CC bike

steel sprockets front and rear

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
It's time to replace the sprockets/chain on my 03 750. It currently is a 520 conversion (15/45). I'm looking at several different chain kits/sprockets (I want to keep it a 520)....I just wanted to get some opinions of which ones you all like.....there are a good many choices out there.

I like to drive it hard in the lower gears, so I'd like to get a chain that does not stretch a lot. The current one I have on there is Lord knows how old, and it has loosened at least 1&1/4- 1&1/2 inches since I've had it (@ 7 months). Any suggestions??

the EK 530ZZZ is the strongest chain that I'm aware of. You'd better go with that one.

11,100 lbs. tensile strength.

·
Bumbadoo
2,299 Posts
RK GXW, XW (G is for gold). DID ERV2, 3. I've used these chains on track bikes (K2,K6 1000, K2 750, SRAD 750 all 520) with good wear life.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet. thanks for everyone's input....now it's time to do some research. Just out of curiosity, how many of you have replaced your own chains and how hard is it on these bikes? I have the service manual in a pdf file, but all I can find in there is how to service the chain, not replace it. btw called a local shop and labor only is $133...sound about right?

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,130 Posts
well, I just did this a few months ago and it was really simple with the right tools

let me see if I can sum it up...

1.) remove front sporcket cover (4 bolts) and speed sensor (1 bolt)
2.) have friend hold rear brake and remove 1 bolt for speed rotor, then remove 32mm nut for front sprocket
3.) loosen all 6 rear sprocket nuts (14mm)
4.) remove rear wheel (36mm nut)
**take careful notice of how the chain is routed around the frame and swingarm**
5.) break chain (chain breaker tool)
6.) remove chain

install

1.) screw in the rear axle adjuster bolts completely
2.) install rear sprocket on drum and install wheel, but do not tighten 36mm nut completely yet
3.) install front sprocket (you cant tighten the nut yet)
4.) feed chain through and around sprockets
5.) figure out how many links need to be removed by holding the ends of the chain together...you are just estimateing here. If you are not sure then its better to not take out enough then to take out too many
6.) "mock up" your setup by putting the master link in, but not pressing the rivets yet...see how much chain slack you have and where the axle will sit in the swingarm
7.) when you are ready, then install the master link and rivet it
8.) torque the front sprocket nut, rear sprocket nuts, rear axle nut...install front sprocket cover, etc...

now is also a great time to go through the manual and do a clutch adjustment since the sprocket cover is coming off

·
Registered
533 Posts
my next chain set i will be buyign the riveter and doing it myself... its silly to pay 2 hours labor when i could do it myself in probably half that time for half the price...

the chain riveter/breaker is about 80 bucks.. if HIGHLY reccomend buying the kit and installing yourself, that way you will NEVER have to pay anyone to do it again and it more than pays for itself the first time.

and if your friends ever need to borrow it you can always charge them a few bucks lol

·
Loves wearing a mask..
2,842 Posts
I went with a blue driven chain and sprockets(steel 525 & +2 in the rear) 2 years ago on my 01 750. The original chain and sprocket had over 28/k miles and was still in pretty good shape. On my 05 750 I went with driven again with a gold 525 chain and black steel +2 rear sprocket. :cheers

·
Registered
542 Posts
I went with a blue driven chain and sprockets(steel 525 & +2 in the rear) 2 years ago on my 01 750. The original chain and sprocket had over 28/k miles and was still in pretty good shape. On my 05 750 I went with driven again with a gold 525 chain and black steel +2 rear sprocket. :cheers
where did you get your chain and sprocket?

·
Loves wearing a mask..
2,842 Posts
where did you get your chain and sprocket?
I ordered them from my local bike shop called RPM. They did the sprockets and chain for my 01. But the 05 I ordered and had another shop put the chain and sprokets on 6 months later. I was having other work done and just had them do that as well. But you should be able to order driven on line at race-driven.com

I also ordered a Speedohealer and have had it on my 01 since the sprocket change.

·
Registered
542 Posts
another tip for installing the new chain is do not remove your old chain until you use it to pull the new chain around the front sprocket.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also seen they have 530,525 and 520 versions. Here is how the 3 of the compare:

# Tensile strength of 11,000 lbs. for 530
# Tensile strength of 10,300 lbs. for 525
# Tensile strength of 9,400 lbs. for 520

So I guess they are all the same except for the tensile strength...

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,130 Posts
Well I am assuming that I will have to get 120 links. Better too many than not enough...
i got a 120 link kit and am up one tooth on the rear sprocket. I only had to take out about 5 links...so dont get the 110 link chain

this was all i had left over....

x2 on motomummy for chain kit and chain breaker/rivet tool. :cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts