Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a salvage 03 GSXR 600 a while back that had been in a front end collission. It was laying around my shop (a damage estimate that nobody ever picked up). My boss put a lein on it and I bought it for 1K. The forks were bent and it needed a new radiator. I did a 750 fork swap, replaced the radiator and took it for a test ride. The bike runs perfect, and everything seemed to be fine. It also needed fairings so I went on Ebay, bought an 03 750 and another fairing off an unkown GSXR (looked like a 600 fairing paint scheme). I painted them and tried to mount them on the bike and WTF. Take a look:
http://community.webshots.com/album/351588886nWvLYY
Do I have the wrong fairings or a more serious problem. If the frame was bent that bad, I could understand the fairings not mounting up in front but in back? What's going on here?

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Damm thats pretty serious. The front head looks pushed in was the gas tank hard to push in? For the rear it looks like the chain is too tight. But I would take some measurements to see how far its bent in.

Grab a tape measure measure the center axle hole to the swing arms pivot bolt and compare with another 01-03 600.

For the rear try snapping a pic of the swingarm, maybe the chain is cut to small?

GMD is the best chassis straightner their not the cheapest, there are a few cheaper. But they usually charge around 100-150 bucks just to take measurements. Neck pulling would run about 6-1200 bucks to fix depending on who you take it to.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just had a frame repaired by GMD and it looked just like yours initially. The headstock was pushed back almost 60mm
All in all it cost $816.30 for the repair and shipping back to me. It cost about $160 to ship to them so in total about $976 for the whole job. It rides like a champ now. GMD is highly recommended.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
damm, buy a new frame..
I agree no sense in putting a grand to fix a salvaged title bike. Buying a used frame and swapping it out would be the best thing to do.

A lot of you guys know I am ghetto lol... If I were to ever ball up my front end like that. I would grab 2 tow straps and a fence puller
in between two trees. I would heat the head of the frame and pull it slowly tell I get to the right length.......I told you I was ghetto

·
Registered
15 Posts
OH CRAP!!!! lol, that sucks for you but it's pretty funny b/c i had the same exact problem a couple of months ago....luckily the guy gave me my money back....sorry to hear that though dude

·
Registered
951 Posts
How easy do these frames tuck?

My racebike has about 1/2 the clearance between that lower V and the front tire as my streetbike. When i removed the stock fairings there was actually marks from the tire rubbing the lower plastic v on complete compression. Seems like my bike needs another 1/4 to be same as the other (though it rides and seems to race fine.)

Wonder how i could yank it out just a tad, only a little itty bitty bit is needed ya know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm taking it to a reputable frame guy in my area for $350.00. I removed everthing for him so he's going to cut me a deal.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
I'm taking it to a reputable frame guy in my area for $350.00. I removed everthing for him so he's going to cut me a deal.
Let us now when you get it sorted out and post his info

·
Registered
369 Posts
Here was my bike a month ago:
http://www.gixxer.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1505289&an=0&page=15#1505289

The front wheel was bent backwards 1.5 inches. Had the local GMD fix it recently. It ran me $150 to have the frame measured (had to take off the plastics and fairing stay) and $700 to get it aligned. It would've only cost $500, but the guy said because of the way the headstock was bent, it was more work to fix it. Overall, he did an excellent job w/ the bike and was the cheapest I found anywhere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was told to leave the forks and front wheel on so it can be moved around the shop where it's going to be easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts