Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
16,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I picked up another AR.
I was talking with a local guy who had been dealing with Bear Creek Arsenal for about a year & 1/2. He'd sold a lot their rifles in that time and he had only gotten back positive feedback. Bear Creek is a family owned company out of Sanford NC and it's been around for quite sometime, but I'd never heard of them.

http://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/

They carry (5) different rifle models depending on what you're looking for.
I chose the KODIAK which has a 16'' Parkerized barrel, 1:9 twist rate and a free float quad rail. It's an ORC model that is chambered for 223/5.56/223 wylde. These rifles are built from top to bottom at their facility. Every rifle comes with a lifetime guarantee.

BCA has it listed at $649, but I walked away it for $699, which is a pretty good price in Jersey. We have to do the NICS check, he pinned the stock and brake, and he threw in (3) 15 rd mags.

I haven't been to the range yet, gonna add optics before heading out to season the barrel.
Range report to follow.

Attachments

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts
he pinned the stock and brake, and he threw in (3) 15 rd mags.
Glad I don't live in a state with pointless restrictions like that :piss

I don't know the specifics of NJ laws but my AR would be illegal in half a dozen ways in CA :lmao

·
16,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad I don't live in a state with pointless restrictions like that :piss

I don't know the specifics of NJ laws but my AR would be illegal in half a dozen ways in CA :lmao

NJ requires that if you have brake, it be pinned. Flash hiders are not allowed. A telescoping stock must be pinned, and of course there's the 15 rd limit.
And the grand-daddy of all face palm laws, no evil bayonet lugs...:twitch

All-in-all Jersey is not that bad as the pro-gunners make it out to be. Handguns & long guns are easy to buy, prices are very good right now, and firearms are plentiful via FB groups.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts
NJ requires that if you have brake, it be pinned. Flash hiders are not allowed. A telescoping stock must be pinned, and of course there's the 15 rd limit.
And the grand-daddy of all face palm laws, no evil bayonet lugs...:twitch
So mine's only illegal in five ways for NJ...

Flash hider - check
...that is screwed on - check
Functional telescoping stock - check
Bayonet lug - check
30 round mags - check

Bonus points for CA:
Standard mag release - check
Forward pistol grip - check

...or as we call them, Standard Features - that don't make it any more or less dangerous... Granted, you can load more rounds at a time but that doesn't really make a difference.

I'm on the fence about which banned feature is more stupid, the flash hider or the forward pistol grip.

The bayonet lug is really rather pointless in any case since with a standard gas tube and a 16" barrel, the lug is so far back, only half the blade would protrude past the muzzle.

·
16,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So mine's only illegal in five ways for NJ...

Flash hider - check
...that is screwed on - check
Functional telescoping stock - check
Bayonet lug - check
30 round mags - check

Bonus points for CA:
Standard mag release - check
Forward pistol grip - check

...or as we call them, Standard Features - that don't make it any more or less dangerous... Granted, you can load more rounds at a time but that doesn't really make a difference.

I'm on the fence about which banned feature is more stupid, the flash hider or the forward pistol grip.

The bayonet lug is really rather pointless in any case since with a standard gas tube and a 16" barrel, the lug is so far back, only half the blade would protrude past the muzzle.

It's like the law makers In kali & Jersey sat around one day and tried to figure out the most moronic ways to fuck with gun owners.
Fortunately, more manufacturers & gun dealers have made Jersey legal rifles & mags available/affordable.
Years ago, no one manufactured 15 round AR mags. And to buy a 30 round mag that was permanently altered to only hold 15, would cost you $30...:facepalm
Now you can get them from several manufacturers for the same price as the 30 rounders.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts
That's something at least :)

Oh, I think the standard pistol grip is illegal in CA too, hence the oddball stocks they have out there.

·
16,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's something at least :)

Oh, I think the standard pistol grip is illegal in CA too, hence the oddball stocks they have out there.
Talk about oddball.
In Jersey we refer to them as "evil features". (lugs, stocks, pistol grip, brakes, etc.) You can have all those evil things, but in moderation.
Take an AK for example. Because the AK's normally do not have pistol grip, you can have a bayonet lug. So you're allowed to have two evil features.
:wacko

Your rifle will be illegal when it has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
a bayonet mount;
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and a grenade launcher;

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
Your rifle will be illegal when it has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

a bayonet mount;
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and a grenade launcher;

I was good to go until the launcher, prior to that I only had 1.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts
Talk about oddball.
In Jersey we refer to them as "evil features". (lugs, stocks, pistol grip, brakes, etc.) You can have all those evil things, but in moderation.
Take an AK for example. Because the AK's normally do not have pistol grip, you can have a bayonet lug. So you're allowed to have two evil features.
:wacko

a bayonet mount;
:facepalm

How about the shoulder thing that goes up?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
SVS
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing