Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the weekend i volunteered to help my cousin work on his newly acquired 2007 CBR 1000.

Im pretty handy as a home mechanic across cars and bikes so i know my way around. (this is my 12th bike, third GSXR). Anyway, after all of my years of experience i have to say that CBR was a prick to work on. Whoever was the designer(s) for that bike did not make it easy to work on.
From the fairings and tank/tank cover system to the airbox and that under-frame air intake (in particular) its a real bitch to work on. I was constantly cursing the design in how difficult it was to work on.
Not only this but its an 07 blade. their top bike. no gear indicator? also to pull the error codes you have to take the fairing off to get at the interface connector (GSXR is under seat) and then count the flashes of the FI light like morse code!? and when there is a perfectly good lcd dash there that could have displayed it?
Also this bike has done 28k kms. 4 errors occurring. coolant, O2, and air intake temp sensors, as well as the steering damper solenoid. It really feels like this bike was not built to be long term tough and reliable like the GSXRs and Ninjas im used to. (cant say about the newer blades, but i can say they are ugly as hell after 2007 so i wouldnt go near them on that)

Be thankful you have a GSXR people...

·
Banned
29,644 Posts
Honda sportbikes are so overly complicated. The over-complication of the electronics nearly killed John McGuinness and could have killed Guy Martin in this years IOM TT

·
Super Moderator
14,992 Posts
FWIW our bikes are notoriously simple and easy to work on. Not sure about the new 1000 though. Sucks about your buddy's CBR though. They're usually pretty reliable. Maybe is wasn't maintained that well. :dunno

·
Banned
29,644 Posts
FWIW our bikes are notoriously simple and easy to work on. Not sure about the new 1000 though. Sucks about your buddy's CBR though. They're usually pretty reliable. Maybe is wasn't maintained that well. :dunno
A close family friend runs a bike shop locally. I can easily say it's a combination of both of those.

·
Registered
12 Posts
dang, that sounds like a pain, and here I thought my newly acquired GSXR was a pain compared to my old SV.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I have done oil and filter change, changed a fuse and fixed rear blinker wiring on my friends 2007 CBR 1000.
It was a major pain in the ass to remove the fairings. He also asked if I could change spark plugs, no thanks lol :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
What I hated the most about the CBR that I had were the stupid little tabs on the fairings; tons of them, all of them very small and fragile. It never had any mechanical issue, but I had nightmares about removing the fairings on that bike... And obviously I ended up breaking some tabs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A close family friend runs a bike shop locally. I can easily say it's a combination of both of those.
indeed i think you are right. it seems to run well and doesnt look to have had a bad drop but it also looks like it could have been treated better.
Then again, iv bought gixxers way worse than that and they didnt complain at all...

and yeah, that fkn fairing design x airbox. and yep, broke a tab.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The 08- blade is much worse... Trying to get the fairings back on and clipped in around the headlight is just a pain. Yamaha r1 and r6 aren't much different either. GSXR any day of the week!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I kinda get the sense that perhaps honda and these other manufacturers have done this to make it harder for DIY mechanics to be able to do work and so are more likely to take it to a dealer to work on. as well as it take the dealer alot longer to work on due to the complexity...
Im sure not directly, but it was probably also not discouraged for the above reason...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts