Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode about a hour or so home and when I got home I smelled almost like rotten eggs and noticed my battery was swelled up and almost looked like it could explode at any moment!! I got a new lithium battery now and rode it about 40 mins or so and when I went to start it it was dead. When I turn the key on all lights and fuel pump works and all but not enough to start it. What could the issue be?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,332 Posts
It might be a bad battery cable connection but since you've been swapping batteries it's more likely a charging system problem. You need a multimeter to follow the system voltage and to do voltage and diode checking as is described in the service manual. Pay attention to the condition of the connectors.

Lithium batteries are nice but they're also fragile. You might consider a cheap AGM lead/acid battery until you sort this out. Keep the lithium fully charged. Yours might be done for if it's dropped below 10 V.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
did you charge it overnight first? like Bill says there may be an underlying issue that made it swell? what makes a deep cell battery swell makes lithium catch fire so be careful..

check your charging system if its overcharging you could have worse issue with lithium

·
Registered
GSX-R 1000 2014 L4 in the Netherlands
91 Posts
Rotten eggs smell is over charging and the fumes are corrosive so you need to clean up and remove everything or rinse with water at least.
As a motorcycle is not as closed as a car it might have blown away but still, any liquid near the battery can be, or is, acid.

If one battery cell died you ended up with 10 volt being charged with 12v (but that low overcharging does not crate a egg smell most of the time) so measure with running engine what is happening and this is why many dirt bikes (honda crf, XR) have stator problems as people keep driving them with a dead battery (using kick-starter) and the system can not get rid (regulate) of the power it provides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts