Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbie question here...

Would it make a difference if one used a 12V trickle charger on a 6V motorcycle battery? thanks.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Don't try it until you have confirmed that it is perfectly safe. I think it would blow your battery up, but I am not sure. Let's see what others have to say about it. There is quite a reasonable amount of acid in that battery, if it blows up, it could destroy a lot of stuff around it.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
No, don't do it, it will destroy your battery, and possibly blow up.

But, on a side note, you do know that the batteries in our bikes are 12volt, right?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yea our bikes are 12v systems..

John

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whew! 12V... that's what I figured too. I was looking for a charger, the guy at the auto parts store swore all moto batteries were 6V.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You should go in there and tell him that you used a 6v charger like he said and it blew up the batt..

John

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
i like the battery buddy, its nice for short to medium term charging/storage.....

in FL, you also gotta keep a watchful eye on the h2o levels...... adding distilled h2o is helpful!!

sms

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by eSeMeS750WX:
adding distilled h2o is helpful
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">unless it's a sealed maintenance-free battery....adding anything in these aside from the initial acid when the battery is first prepared is a no-no.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts