Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BATTERY HELP !!!!

I have a 98 750 that has developed a starting problem. I replaced the stock battery 3 months ago because the bike would not start anymore. Well now its doing the same thing again. If I push start it I have no problems . The bike runs fine and the battery reads 11.8 volts when at rest. I am putting it on the charger today to see if it helps any. What other tests can I do to troubleshoot this problem? I have checked the ground and it looks tight and corrosion free.

thanks guys , mike

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Re: BATTERY HELP !!!!

Sounds like the starter is going bad.

What is the batt voltage when cranking?

John

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Check the voltage at the battery when motor is idling. Then check when motor is revving at +- 4000 RPM. With lights on ,the charge should be 12,8 to 14 V or thereabouts. At idle with lights on it should read about 12,5 V or thereabouts. If not then the alternator needs to be looked at ,or the wires from the alternator.

cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts

If the battery goes dead while sitting overnight the problem is most likely the rectifier. Unhook your battery after you charge it, let it sit overnight and if the voltage is the same as the night before then use a multimeter to check the diodes in the rectifier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts