Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the GSXR. Bought an 08 set up for track days only and got the first one in this past weekend.

I have a long list of body parts that don't work so good due to 30+ years of riding/racing motocross.

Loved the bike but the laid down stance of the bars is murder on my neck. I have some disc issues and artificial discs.

I've read about fork extenders and I understand those are more geometry/turn in related mods but do they raise the front enough to ease up the fetal position stance?

Thought about adjustable clip-ons that I can raise the bars a bit with. Nothing extreme but enough so that I don't have to look so far "up".

Any suggestions to ease an old guys back and give some comfort?

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try Helibars

Link here to my thread:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try Helibars

Link here to my thread:

Thanks Man. Looks to be exactly what I need.

·
Registered
03 Gsxr1000
249 Posts
Having had a lot issues much like yourself (fused L3 L4) both my bikes have raised clip ons.
03 gsxr1000 and 17 R1M . Makes a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
I couldn't get on a bike right now to save my life, nope, nuh uh, nadda, lower back, right elbow, wrist and scapula, at the moment I am trying to get a heating pad over one shirt and under another so i can type and not wake the neighbors up, man its been rough, really sucks

some oddball stuff tho, the pain is moving from the underside of scapula, up to my shoulder then from there it moves to my spine right in that area? WTF

an hour ago it felt like a hot knife under my shoulder blade, then it moved to my shoulder up to my elbow and wrist, now its in my spine between the shoulder blades and nothing under my scapula or shoulder, wrist is a bit funky.. nuts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Yep, as I write this I'm holding my phone to type. Doing this causes pain caused by a person who t-boned me with her car while I was riding my 1986 GSXR 750 (red/black) home from work. Tried to throttle out of it when I saw her bumper screeming towards me but got high sided from tank slapping. The pain from broken scapula, collar bone, joints lower left leg hit, and torn ligaments always remind me of that day.
Ibuprofen! Still love these bikes. Ain't nothing like a GSXR.
Heating pads are a great invention!👍

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
I got mine lifting something, I think, really don't know, woke up and under my right scapula was a knife, was there 3 days went away or so I thought, then it went crazy? no idea whats going on, an older injury? may have slept on it wrong? dunno

I hate when cagers do that then say, "um but I didn't see the cyclist" no ticket nothing.. blows

got a regiment 6 day methylprednisolone dose, not sure if it works, between my back and this its insane, id have to lay off the pain meds to know how well if any it works? it was bad this morning when I woke up so I dont think its long term in any event, I only do a light dose pof pain meds, not much at all, keeps the edge off bout it but I refuse to be laid up due to too much pain meds, no thanks..

pretty much have to suck it up, been rough last 10 days, real rough, my hand has no strength at all cant button my shirt? makes me think its nerve type stuff, prolly both nerve and muscle or tendon type.. its odd tho it moves around, it will be under my scapula, then leave there and go to my shoulder, leave there go to elbow and nothing in my shoulder or scapula, crazy I dont get that at all... think I clipped a door jam, the opening walking through, knocked it pretty good but damn really? if its not better here soon its MRI time..

i've installed risers on the busa, then a nice big tank bag I lay on.. its pretty cushy and I set the suspension to soft, busa is the best to ride for me the 600 I cannot ride anymore, too hard, to compact, the risers help a lot, highway speeds are best as the wind lifts the torso and there is no weight on wrists or back, set the cruise control and go, I can lean back..

upi can do the risers, tank bag, a nice tall one with a pillow in it, lay on it at low speeds, get low profile tires, set the suspension to soft, so sag it out on the soft side, spring it to the lower side of your weight, so go to the low side of your weight cut off.. if you weigh 120, and your spring cutoff weight is at 110/140 go with the 80/110, the soft side, bump absorption is key for my back so a Busa is good as its heavy, decent suspension, low side of tire air pressure as well, all helps to absorb bumps.. a good seat is key too, corbin makes a molded, gel, really helps... I have a velcro back brace from walgreens I can slap on when it gets real bad, helps for a while..

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
One thing that has helped me is a lot is stretching my spine (many times per day) by grabbing the top of a door near the hinges, and hanging off the door. The spine gets elongated and stuff gets back into place. Muscles and ligaments get set correctly it seems and feels great! I do this whenever I ache and in pain. I also have a bar affixed to the basement rafters to hang off and extend the spine. That straightens stuff too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts