Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember someone mentioning that they had one of the `93 "banana" swingarms for sale? Can't remember who... I am wondering though, there's a `93 600 swingarm on eBay... is the 600 swingarm the same length as the 750/1100? Or even close at all?

...and while I'm pickin' yer brains... anyone know the cheapest place to get titanium fasteners? (I've already been to pro-bolt's site).

[ 11-06-2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:
I seem to remember someone mentioning that they had one of the `93 "banana" swingarms for sale? Can't remember who... I am wondering though, there's a `93 600 swingarm on eBay... is the 600 swingarm the same length as the 750/1100? Or even close at all?

...and while I'm pickin' yer brains... anyone know the cheapest place to get titanium fasteners? (I've already been to pro-bolt's site).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Try Yoyodyne (soon to be a site sponsor)

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Doug Hackney:
FastCat,

Could you post the pro-bolt link? Is there a direct site or do you have to go through streetfighters USA?

thanks,
Doug
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">shore ting:
http://www.pro-bolt-canada.com/acatalog/

looks like they mostly do aluminum fasteners (which I'm not sure is such a great idea for some of the load-bearing stuff) but they also have titanium caliper bolts, sprocket nuts (the aluminum sprocket nuts have stainless inserts) and piecemeal hex and allen bolts all in grade 5 titanium. I found the canada site (they post prices in USD as well as canadian currency) through eBay believe it or not.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The "banana" arm off a 600 is the same as the 750 (about 1.5 in shorter than a 1100) and is a easy way to add 25% more stiffness to your 90 (Suzuki's numbers). And it looks sharp too (I have one on my 88) just make sure to get the caliper mount as it is unique to the 93-95's but If you need one I have a extra mount. I also shaved some weight off my mount by milling the centers out of the casting.
I have used Yoyodyne for Ti in the past and he is a great help if you do not know what sizes you need (just send him an example and how many you need) I have a Ti rear axle from them on my 88 now. just be prepared as Ti is not cheap no matter where you get it.
Bones

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
If you look at the mount from the side you will see tat it has a ridge cast in it on the outside. Basicly I removed everything within the ridge. I just checked it for cracks after using it fo two years like that and no problem. It took about a pound off the mount. The brake stay arm really only keeps the caliper in place Yosh used to drill them full of holes to shave weight.
Bones

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
If you look at the mount from the side you will see tat it has a ridge cast in it on the outside. Basicly I removed everything within the ridge. ...

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Like this:

eh?

...got any pics of a lightened rear rotor? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
That rear brake stay is so that the braking forces aren't all transmitted as rotation to the swing arm causing the bike to squat. It is definately in the way of wider wheels and tires though. Troy 341

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The "banana" arm off a 600 is the same as the 750 (about 1.5 in shorter than a 1100) and is a easy way to add 25% more stiffness to your 90 (Suzuki's numbers). And it looks sharp too (I have one on my 88) just make sure to get the caliper mount as it is unique to the 93-95's but If you need one I have a extra mount. I also shaved some weight off my mount by milling the centers out of the casting.
I have used Yoyodyne for Ti in the past and he is a great help if you do not know what sizes you need (just send him an example and how many you need) I have a Ti rear axle from them on my 88 now. just be prepared as Ti is not cheap no matter where you get it.
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Bones,

I just scored the `93 arm and I already had the correct brake-caliper mount... it's ugly but it works. For the Ti stuff, I wasn't planning on spending the $ to go with axles... rotor-mount-bolts and sprocket studs-nuts is what I was looking at. I have a friend who wants my old wheel to do a conversion on an FJ and I may need that caliper-mount for that, depending on where we decide to weld tabs on to the existing FJ arm. I think the `93 style mount looks cleaner than a brake-arm back to the frame, but doesn't the brake-arm help eliminate rear-wheel hop when ya goof and overuse the rear brake on a downshift? I'll let ya know when we figure out where it all bolts up.

Where on the brake-mount did you drill? got pics? And what about the rotor itself... anyone got pics/dimensions on where to add holes there?

[ 11-07-2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Titanium stuff are very expensive; for $1000 in Ti bolts/nuts/axles you probably will only drop a pound or 2 in weight. If this is worth it to you, go for it.

Yoyodyne is probably the most expensive place, although they do have a big selection. If I'm buying only a couple of things, I get them from http://www.racebolts.com/ becaue they have online shopping. If I'm getting a bunch of stuff, I get them from http://www.mettec.com/ (no online shopping, but slightly cheaper prices).

It seems that pro-bolt has the lowest prices on the hex flange bolts, Mettec has the lowest prices on the tapered socket head bolts, and racebolts has the bigger selection of button head bolts.

Yancy

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Yeah thats what mine looks like! Your 90 caliper will bolt on you just will have that lug sticking out on the front. But it will work until you get a 93-95 caliper. I do not have a spare caliper sorry.

For the rotor lightening try www.tcmproducts.com
(707.541.7251 they charge 75.00 for the stock look and 85.00 for the wave rotor look using your stock rotor I am going to have them do the rotor for the 90 (I have a full floating Braking rotor on the 88)
Bones

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Yeah thats what mine looks like! Your 90 caliper will bolt on you just will have that lug sticking out on the front. But it will work until you get a 93-95 caliper. I do not have a spare caliper sorry.

For the rotor lightening try www.tcmproducts.com
(707.541.7251 they charge 75.00 for the stock look and 85.00 for the wave rotor look using your stock rotor I am going to have them do the rotor for the 90 (I have a full floating Braking rotor on the 88)
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">don't forget to mention Gixxer.com it could get you a bit of a discount

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Discount is always a great thing! I think I know a local guy who can do it for not much $ though... I've got other work for him and will quiz him about work-hardening/annealing when I take it in.

Mr. G: You're not gonna actually use the rotor that's got "GSXR" carved in it are ya? It looks far to pretty to actually get dirty! LOL

BTW Bones: I got my caliper on eBay... and I could be wrong, but from looking at the mount, I don't think the old one would work because of the way they mount... the old-style has the threaded holes in the caliper itself and bolts through the brace. The newer-style has the bolt-holes in the bracket and bolts through the caliper... the offsets are different. ...you know sumpin' I don't?

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I just know the spacing was the same I did not look at the holes.
Bones

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just know the spacing was the same I did not look at the holes.
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I had all the parts in my hands several times before it struck me to look more closely at it... I scored a caliper off of eBay in any case, and yeah, with an extra bracket, I'm sure I could make it work with the old caliper/new mount... just caught me by suprise because I thought all the rear calipers were interchangeable/bolt-on with each other. The spacing *is* the same BTW... they just reversed the way it bolts on... sneaky bastids.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts