Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to help a friend balance the carbs on his gixxer. I'm not sure of the year but it is a water cooled engine. I did my air cooled engine a while ago but forgot what order they are adjusted in.

What order do I follow and is it the same for all carb gixxer's?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
balance 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, then balance the two sides with the middle adjuster.

(or you could do 3 and 4, then 1 and 2, then both sides.....but the key is, do the outer carbs first, then balance between the two sides...)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...but it seems like there is even a more specific order than that. I thought it was like one carb would depend on the other's set point, because of the springs in the linkage. If not I'll just use what you posted.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yes, the linkages are somewhat dependent on each other, that's why i said to adjust the outer ones first, then the middle one.....

it works like this: you have three adjuster screws, one between each carb....the screw between 1 and 2 controls the balance between those two carbs/throttle bodies. the screw between 3 and 4 controls the balance between those two carbs/tb's. the screw between 2 and 3 controls the balance between the left PAIR of carbs/tb's and the right pair of carbs/tb's.

so let's say your carbs are all outta sync....you sync 1 and 2 together, then 3 and 4 together.....then when you adjust the middle screw to balance the two sides, 1 and 2 move together as a set, and 3 and 4 move together as a set.....once you've matched the two sides, they're all in sync.

so as long as you adjust the outer screws first (doesn't matter the specific order), then do the middle one last, you're okay.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
How do you know when they're in sync??
Stef

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
put them on a scale. the heaviest ones need to be put to the grinder first

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Hotrod ]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
mr rogers,

no, i don't believe that's the problem with your bike.....out of balance carbs/throttle bodies tend to be more noticeable at idle and down low in the rpm range. if the bike feels like it's running on three cylinders all over, it is almost certainly not a carb balance issue.....unless the throttle butterflies were ridiculously out of sync, which is highly unlikely.

stillie,

when you balance the carbs or throttle bodies, you'll need to hook up a set of vacuum gauges......you then balance the throttle butterflies so that the vacuum across all four cylinders at idle (or slightly higher) is as close to each other as possible. this is so that the engine 'work' is shared equally by the cylinders, rather than one or two doing more of the work than the others. the most obvious symptom of out of sync carbs/throttle bodies is roughness at idle (although that could be symptomatic of other problems as well).

you can use dial gauges, but they tend to be a bit expensive. cheaper alternatives are mercury sticks, or something like the carbtune tool http://www.carbtune.com

ideally, any time you disturb the carbs or throttle bodies, you would want to balance (or synchronize) them, because disturbing them could have knocked the throttle butterflies out of sync. (then again, it might not, but the only way to know for sure would be to hook up the gauges to the bike and see, but then at that point you've already done 50% of the work necessary to do a complete sync anyway.)

it only takes a few minutes (if that long) to do the sync.

a sync should also be done after a valve adjustment (since adjusting valve clearances affects the vacuum 'signal').

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Okay, Jeff I am gonna order this carb tune thing, cuz I definitely disturbed the carbs on my 1100 when I pulled it and cleaned them. My question is, how and where does it hook up to the carbs.
Stef

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Under the carbs , on the block there are four take offs , usually the third one has a vacuum hose from the tank, these are 5 or 6 mm , connect your vacuum guage to these , run the engine at 1750 rpms (using idle screw) then sync 3 & 4 then 1 & 2 then 2 & 3
this should do it

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
on the 93 1100, the carb sync fittings are on the carb tops, i believe....on the motor side, you'll see the sync fittings, but they're capped off....just remove the caps and connect the gauges to the fittings....

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Where are the adjuster screws?? Can't seem to find tthem.
Stef

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hotrod:
put them on a scale. the heaviest ones need to be put to the grinder first

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Hotrod ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the Supersports teams (who have to stick to very strict rules) have a huge box of carbs and they find four that weigh almost the same, makes life much easier

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
If I haven't told you this before...YOU'RE the man, You know maybe one day I will go to MMI so I won't have to bother you so much.hahahahaha
Stef

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
In order to balance your carbs correctly, You need to make sure you get a good balance throughout the day! Moderate carbs with brkfst, a large portion of carbs in the afternoon, and a high amount of high glycemic carbs directly after a workout(preferably a MRP shake) and for dinner or rightbefore bed. a 1/4 cup of rice with high protein is the best......
Oh you mean for your bike..oh sorry..can't help you there! My ride is FI

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
what would be the symptoms of TB's not being in synch? my bike stumbles down low a bit, but I played with my PC map the other day and leaned it out down low and its gotten a tad better but still when I get on the throtttle from closed it is abrupt....

I have had my bike since 6500 miles (almost 10K now) and I dont think the TB's have ever been synched. I'd do it myself but I dont have the tools nor do I feel like screwing it up myself.

so do you think its due for a synch? how long would it take for a shop to do it, like 1 hour max?

·
Registered
83 Posts
i don't think its is as simple as a few minutes, gixxers are easier because they are inline(easier to tell which screws adjusts' which carb) and the tank can be propped up on the newer (as far as i know, post 96) models. ever do a magna v65 or a cbx? that takes awhile.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts