Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haven't yet changed my oil, it is about time, I put about 2000 miles on it and the PO put new oil in before the purchase. Once, I was braking pretty hard... almost stoppie style minus the leaning fwd, and my oil/temp light came on. The crankcase is full BTW, maybe even a bit over filled. Also, these days, sometimes when I shift (usually down \) and it dosent't click into gear. So I must pull out the clutch a lil till it clicks then continute shifting or riding. I will change the oil hopefully this wkend (have a sh!t load of hmwk to do plus I have to revive my car) along with a bunch of other reg maint and will let you guys know, but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered these idiosyncrities and what the dealie-o was on those two problems.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
How many miles... You might have a shift fork or something going bad...

John

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just broke 10k then rode real fast with the local gixxer-dot-commers. it's a lil early for parts to be wearing down huh? And I 've read in many places that the gixxers have the best tranny's out of the 4 japaneese spt bikes.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well every bike is a bit different, and they do have tolerances and if you got one on the smaller size then you might be out of spec sooner. It is hard to say... Can you make the problem happen everytime? If so what do you have to do to get it to happen... The more info you can give me the better I can help you...

John

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It happens every so often while shifting down. It feels different and clicking down dosen't do anything.. so I release the clutch, then hear it click, then continue shifting down. I'm hoping an oil change will clear things up. It's a lil premature but I think I'll do it anyway. There doesn't seem to have a pattern to it, it just happens whenever it feel like it, about a few times wk, and I commute on it so lots of miles between occurances.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Nowkeg. Whoo hoo MARYLAND...
If it comes down to a tranny I have a spare. Not sure what year or model it is for.

Since you have the side fairings off when you change the oil make sure that the clutch doesn't need adjustment.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
It doesnt sound good to me.. Might be a shift fork that is binding or worn down... not pushing the gear all the way in...
Sorry I cant help to much more, but I would have to say that it is going to need to real work done to it.

John

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sounds like a bent shift fork to me also. My endurance bike, just had a tranny rebuild. Not cheap!! The guy who rebuilt it showed us all the parts and how they work. One thing, if you do have a bent one, you want to get it fixed before you damage any of the gears, it'll save you a LOT of money, don't ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well I dont know what the cost of shipping a motor would be, but I know my shop told me it would be 1000 bucks just to take it apart and tell me what is the problem...

If you want to ship the motor to me I will rebuild it for you, I will do it for 500 bucks labor. You pay for parts and shipping. I get the parts at a great price from my dealer. I spent 600 in parts to do a rebuild on my motor, with crank and rob bearings. I also replaced one of the gears and a shift forks. Since I had just done rings in not more then 1000 miles ago I didnt do that again.. But we can talk more if you are interested in me doing any of your work.

You can ask Hammer 4 about my work, I stand behind it and I am not out to jurk anyone around. I just do what needs to be done. But if you do open the motor, there is a list of things that you SHOULD replace to be on the safe side, and since you will be in the motor, it is just a good idea...

Let me know if you want more info..

John

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a bunch guys... i guess ignorance was bliss. Gixxerfrk, dosen't having other people rebuild things and fix things for you take the fun out of having a motorcycle? Thanks for the offer, I have been listening (reading) to your posts quite a while, and although you and I hardly ever agree, you do seem to know your stuff. I wish you lived closer so I could give you a call or come visit you when I am stuck. I love to tear things down, I just don't have the skilz quite yet but I am budding. Kidphc, Go Terps!!

BTW, how does one bend a shifter fork? A dude rear ended me a while back and the bike fell on the shifter side. The dude's insurance company was real nice in getting my bike fixed but could this be an overlooked problem?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yes this COULD be something from the bike falling over... You didnt say anything about that... lol

If the shifter rod got bent it could cause the shifter to not lift all the way into 2nd gear... or bind up when trying to move the shifter, It might not be enough to feel in your foot, but enough to make a problem.

Yes I understand that it takes a way from the fun letting someone else do it, But there are a lot of people that wont tear into there motors. I have been doing it for years...

If you want to check your shifter rod, you can drain the oil, pull the clutch basket and counter shaft cover. There should be a "U" clip ( I think that is what they call it ) that is on the shift rod, remove that and the shift rod should slide out the clutch side of the motor. But when you do it, make sure to watch the small bushing that is sitting on the shift drum were the shift rod connects to it..
Dont want that to fall in to the oil pan. Now you should be able to see if the rod is bent.

Normaly a shift fork gets bent from being FORCED, very hard might I add, into the next gear without the clutch pulled. But it could also be a shift fork that is just woren down and doesnt have the ability to push the gear all the way in. Or if it is almost worren out, sometime you just dont pull all the way up, were before it was worren it would have been far enough. You get it?

If you have a book for your bike it will explain how to get into everything, take your time, and watch everything...
You can do it!! lol

Let me know if you need any help.

John

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
>>>
Yes I understand that it takes a way from the fun letting someone else do it, But there are a lot of people that wont tear into there motors.
<<<
Tis a shame that is... Thanks for all you input, I dunno when I will get to it but I'll post an update when I do it. Man, this student thing sucks all time out of you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts