Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some examples of BAD advice that is commonly given out to riders? You know, things that get thrown around and suggested to people that are incorrect or untrue or misleading? Have you had any personal experience with receiving bad riding advice?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
Buy a 600+, because clearly being bored of acceleration and knowing how to operate the basics of a motorcycle means you've clearly outgrown the bike and know how to ride. Which, by their logic, means that by the time I was 9 years old I was ready for a 600.

Also, more expensive is better

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Loud pipes save lives :monkeyface

·
3,844 Posts
If you ride anything other than a 250/300 as your first bike YOU WILL DIE!

DIE
DIE
DIE
DIE
DIE
This is about bad advice. Starting on, or recommending that you start on, a 250/300 is not bad advice.

·
3,844 Posts
Lowering the bike won't affect handling that much.
Also accompanied by, "Just make sure to lower the front and rear the same amount," as if that actually somehow helps.

·
Registered
136 Posts

DIE
DIE
DIE
DIE
DIE
This is about bad advice. Starting on, or recommending that you start on, a 250/300 is not bad advice.

DIE
DIE
DIE
DIE
DIE
No one here has ever said that. But it is good advice for new riders to start on smaller/non super sport bikes.
I'm not saying starting smaller is bad advice, I just think it's bad to tell new riders that if you don't do that then the earth will end. Each new rider is different, some more responsible than others. I started on a 750 (not a good choice for everyone), and I still practice all of the same stuff that I would have if I were on a 300.

I don't think it's good to cue the doomsday/slasher movie music and scare the sheet out of a new rider because its not a 300. But i am just a noob who is still learning.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh, and im new here. No one here has said that but I've heard it. Along the lines of...

"A 750 is your first bike? Don't fuckin kill youself".

1 - 20 of 123 Posts