Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Soooooooooooooooo pb&j isnt ideal :)

·
eh'hole
2,104 Posts
Soooooooooooooooo pb&j isnt ideal :)
lol no, you'll need some fast absorbing carbs, ie. starchy shit like potatoes, rice, bananas, berries etc, stuff with a high glycemic index. That and some protein, whether it be from meat or protein powder

·
Chubby Chaser
57,808 Posts
Well, white bread and jelly are pretty much simple carbs so I guess so, but you'll need a lot more protein than a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter. Plus you you don't want the fat in the peanut butter since it slows down digestion/absorption. Ideally just protein and carbs.

·
17,010 Posts
Well, white bread and jelly are pretty much simple carbs so I guess so, but you'll need a lot more protein than a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter. Plus you you don't want the fat in the peanut butter since it slows down digestion/absorption. Ideally just protein and carbs.

He could grab a whole wheat bagel with chunky peanut butter & glass of low-fat milk...:punk

·
Chubby Chaser
57,808 Posts
He could grab a whole wheat bagel with chunky peanut butter & glass of low-fat milk...:punk

Well, I tend to shy away from complex carbs immediately post workout because they are slower digesting. Same thing with milk, casein (the protein in milk) is one of the slowest digesting proteins so not idea post-workout. You want fast digesting absorbing, which typically means whey protein and simple carbs.

·
17,010 Posts
Well, I tend to shy away from complex carbs immediately post workout because they are slower digesting. Same thing with milk, casein (the protein in milk) is one of the slowest digesting proteins so not idea post-workout. You want fast digesting absorbing, which typically means whey protein and simple carbs.
I understand that.
But it's better than what he was getting prior. Plus his body is still digesting his earlier meal & his body has plenty of time to absorb the complex carbs & protein from his PWO meal.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks guys!!

Can you guys recommend some whey protein powder(s)?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,808 Posts
Thanks guys!!

Can you guys recommend some whey protein powder(s)?

Any of them will do really. Whey is very fast absorbing/digesting so you really only need it post workout and maybe when you first wake up to get the proteins into your system quickly since you've been sleeping/fasting all night.

I just buy a 5 lb jug of Optimum Whey from Costco whenever I'm running low. I'm not a big believer in fancy schmancy super over-priced protein powders.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Types of protein that aren't too expensive:
Whey protein - fast absorbing, great for post work out
Casein protein - slow absorbing, great for pre workout
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/protein-types-best-for-you.htm

This gives you a pretty good idea what you should aim for. Adjust based on results.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutrients_calculator.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html
Generally:
* your weight x 11 to 14 = Caloric intake needed for the day for a normal person.
* reduce calorie intake by 500 a day to loose 1 pound a week.
* Calories in per gram of: Fat = 9, carb = 4, protein = 4

For example:
I'm 165lbs: 165 * 13 = 2145 Calories - 500 = 1645
Goal is fat loss: 30-50% Carb, 30-40% Fat, 40-50% protein of daily calories
My body type is an Mesomorph, recomended carb is low-end for fat loss (20-30).

So required nutrients in grams, 1645 daily calories:
* Carb: 25% * 1645 = 411.25 Calories divide by 4 = 102.8g of carb
* Fat: 25% * 1645 = 411.25 Calories divide by 9 = 45.7g of fat
* Protein: 50% * 1645= 822.5 Calories divide by 4 = 205.6g protein

So I prepare my meals for the day, genenerally 5 meals with a protein shake for post workout. All of which should not exeed 102.8g of carb, 45.7g of fat, 205.6g of protein. I try to eat as much natural food as possible.

·
I have NO balls....
963 Posts
Anything Optimum Nutrition is a quality / well priced protein. Syntha 6 is also good as a meal replacement. I always keep a shaker of protein (whey) and a shaker of syntha 6 on hand in the event I'm caught up and cant get to one of my meals - preparation is key! Missing a meal is almost just as bad as eating crap!

100% use myfitnesspal app and track what you are eating - you will be surprised when you look at your nutrient breakdown.

Lifting and running etc are the easy fun things - the diet and preparation is the hard part and truly makes up 80% of your results.

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
I use the ON pro complex and love it. IT's a blended protein with many different types in it. I will vouch for Optimum Nutrition as well...great stuff

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
The Syntha 6 Strawberry is fucking awesome. It tastes like a strawberry milkshake. It helped me finally stop losing weight & I've managed to put back on 7 lbs. The only downside I noticed is that my frequent cheese releases :vomit could rot the tires off of your bikes. Is that normal for the protein powders?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DYJ1D8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
17,010 Posts
The Syntha 6 Strawberry is fucking awesome. It tastes like a strawberry milkshake. It helped me finally stop losing weight & I've managed to put back on 7 lbs. The only downside I noticed is that my frequent cheese releases :vomit could rot the tires off of your bikes. Is that normal for the protein powders?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DYJ1D8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe you're lactose intolerant?
Try switching to soy powder and see if it helps.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Maybe you're lactose intolerant?
Try switching to soy powder and see if it helps.
I'll have to try that. I never had issues like this from eating something. Smells like when you have food poisoning. :hammer

·
Registered
201 Posts
"HI"

In past ...I was doing diets for body builders and being paid for that a good money back then..not doing it now but if you need help I can make diet for you if you want to loose or keep the weight before competition or just to get better results in the gym etc ? If you wish I can make diet for you free of charge of course.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts