Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just started working out again after a few years hiatus. About 5 years ago, I use to work out quite often, prob. about 3-4 x's per week and stopped. Kids, lack of motivation, etc. just kept me away.

Im currently trying a new "program" for me to see if it works, I have joined a very small gym near my office and plan to work out 3 days a week at lunch time, Tues, Weds & Thursdays.

Tues = all lower body, legs, calves, thighs, etc.
Weds = core, stomach, luve handles, etc.
Thurs = all upper body, arms, biceps, triceps, pecs, etc.

Im currently on week 2 and am still sore from last week :dunno

So, Im basically looking for some supplements that can give me a kick start on my work out days and help with the recovery time. I remember years ago I use to take creatine, so Ive been looking into that. Im NOT trying to add more weight, either keep the same weight or if it happens lose weight.

Thinking about trying this:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133642&KPID=2331604&mr:referralID=7ceec208-4c81-11e3-9104-001b2166c62d&cagpspn=pla&CAWELAID=2133642

Anybody have experience with this product or anything else I should check out?

T.I.A.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,808 Posts
I don't recommend doing that many body parts all in one day, and if you are only going to do 3 days per week I would spread it out some more so you have more rest in between. Consider doing Mon/Wed/Fri so you have a recovery day in between each before the weekend.

There's no need to dedicate an entire day to your abs/core. It's going to get worked in an ancillary fashion anyway. Personally I would try to add another day to your routine but if you've only got 3 days to work with I would try something like chest/arms on one day, back and shoulders on the next, and legs on the third. Throw in some ab work throughout.

I don't buy anything from GNC, and I stopped using creatine about 5-6 years ago. I don't really find THAT much benefit from it from a strength perspective, plus I found that I caused me to retain more water and look smooth. Since I stopped using it I have a much easier time leaning out and getting better defined.

Recovery is going to depend on a lot of things, make sure you are eating properly, hydrating properly, stretching properly. I would take some ZMA before bed, I find it helps me sleep/recover better.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input!

Yeah, unfortunately I would like to keep these 3 days for workouts. Thats a good idea to throw in ab work in between!

so you really think creatine would be a waste of time? I do remember getting dizzy/nausea after taking creatine years ago.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,808 Posts
Eat enough lean red meat and you'll get enough creatine. But consider what I said about splitting your upper body into 2 separate days. Doing it all on 1 day is not a good plan.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, how about this approach:

Tues = cardio, legs, etc.
Weds = arms & pecs w/ ab work inbetween
Thurs = shoulders & back w/ ab work inbetween

Whats your take on whey protein?

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
I would schedule at least one day a week of camping cardio. It's very important for your overall health.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Eat enough lean red meat and you'll get enough creatine. But consider what I said about splitting your upper body into 2 separate days. Doing it all on 1 day is not a good plan.
Truth.

Here's my recommendation:

Day 1: chest and backs
Day 2: lower body
Day 3: arms and shoulder

Reasons being is that arms and backs/chest don't work well together due to chest and back will use arms anyways so by the time you do arms .. You're kinda worn out. Shoulder on the other hand does not.

Cardio and light abs workout all three days with lightest with leg days.

This is my work out:
*Mon: warmup cardio 20min, circuit 12-20min, incline dumbbell bench, curls, posterior traps, dips, 20min cool down stairs, abs roller
*Tues: warmup cardio 20min, power clean, front squat, back squat, deadlifts, dumbbell bench, dips, 20min stairs,
*Wed: same as Mon but no arms or abs roller, add lats & oblique
*Thurs: same as Tues
*Fri: same as Mon
*Sat: same as Wed, max out day, or cardio and circuit only

Rest day is always Sunday and another day if needed.

I eat mainly fish and chicken for meat; broccoli, kale, spinach, and asparagus for veggies; brown rice for bread; apples for fruits. And a scoop of 20grams of whey protein for muscle recovery after each workout.

·
I have NO balls....
963 Posts
Always do your cardio after you weight train if you are doing both in the same session. if you are looking to target fat loss specifically keep your heart rate between 125-150

At the end of the day diet is 80% - download "myfitnesspal" on your phone - its free and track everything that you are putting into your body and aim for a split of 40%carbs 40%protein and 20% fat and adjust the ratios from there. As long as you are managing your diet properly and eating 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight you can make small adjustments to the overall macro nutrient breakdowns to see better results.

I also recommend keeping a log of all workouts and progress pics for motivation.

Good luck in your journey - remember its a lifestyle not a fad diet or magical pill that will get you results.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, Ill be the 1st to admit my current diet isnt the greatest.

Just got back from the gym and was talking to the trainers and this is what we came up with:

Tues = chest/triceps
Weds = cardio, legs, abs
Thurs = back/biceps

·
Premium Member
957 Posts

Just got back from the gym and was talking to the trainers and this is what we came up with:

Tues = chest/triceps
Weds = cardio, legs, abs
Thurs = back/biceps
My recommendations:

Tues: chest, back, lats , cardio, light abs
Weds: legs, cardio, light abs
Thurs: biceps, triceps, shoulders, traps, cardio, light abs

Bench: better to use dumbbell than bar. Dumbbell allows you to workout solo and forces you to utilize your stabilizer muscle.

·
I have NO balls....
963 Posts
100% agree with using dumbbells.

the lifting and cardio part is the easy / fun part, especially coming off a few year hiatus, most everything no matter what your split will do its job.

Try to really look at your diet and prep your food - it makes a BIG difference!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do Insanity and the program is awesome. There is no guesswork on what you have to do for the day cause its all laid out for you with the provided calender. You will lose weight and get muscle definition. Its tough to keep doing it but the results will keep you going. I take Cellucore BCAAs an hour before the workout and it helps with muscle fatigue. I take protein 3 to 4 times a day. One scoop morning, afternoon, post workout and before bed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Tues = chest/triceps
Weds = cardio, legs, abs
Thurs = back/biceps
In 20 years of training, I've never been able to do anything less than a five day split. For one thing, if you're working your back hard enough, you will have nothing left for biceps, particularly since your bis get a lot of work during most back exercises. I personally hate those splits, though lots of people seem to do it. Did you decide not to do any shoulder/trap work? I think you'll find you need at least a 4 day split to hit everything hard enough to make it worth your time. You're only doing cardio once a week?

Don't waste your money on supplements. Just eat and sleep properly.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im starting to mix in a lil cardio, so today I did my biceps, back and did about 15 minutes on a elliptical. tomorrow will be more cardio w/ some ab work. Thurs will be triceps and chest workout w/ about 15-20 minutes cardio.

As Im getting back into the "flow" its starting to make more sense to me, technically on Im on week 3 now.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting in my groove, now have another dilema......

I have a bowl of cereal around 6:45am, then about 10am I have "lunch"...usually subway. I go workout from 11:50am - 12:50pm. By like 1:30/2pm Im starving!!!!

I went to the market next door to the gym and got a loaf of bread, peanut butter and jelly to make sandwiches when I get hungry. While at the check stand, they had bottles of "muscle milk". So i grabbed a bottle to try it out, the bottle I got is 14fl oz and is boasting 25g of protein and 230 calories.

Whats your opinion on muscle milk and do you think making pb&j sandwiches would be ok to hold me off till dinner? (7pm-ish)

·
Administrator
13,344 Posts
Sounds like you need to prepare food before hand ... A chicken breast with salad would fit in that time ... People forget that muscles never stop feeding , you have to basically keep food up to them at least 6/7 times a day (granted smaller portions)

Bread isn't a good op. , if your looking at cutting a bit of weight off have a look at the paleo food plan ... Basically the 'caveman' way of eating !!!

·
17,009 Posts
Sounds like you need to prepare food before hand ... A chicken breast with salad would fit in that time ... People forget that muscles never stop feeding , you have to basically keep food up to them at least 6/7 times a day (granted smaller portions)
+1.
For starters, eat more for breakfast, I have 5 egg whites along with a bowl of oatmeal. And if you're eating lunch at 10 am, a meal at 2 pm is perfect. I bring 2 pre-cooked meals of 3/4 cup brown rice & 170 g of chicken breast. I also do a baked potato and tuna when I get tired of the chicken/rice combo. And for snacks, raw almonds are good.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,808 Posts
Getting in my groove, now have another dilema......

I have a bowl of cereal around 6:45am, then about 10am I have "lunch"...usually subway. I go workout from 11:50am - 12:50pm. By like 1:30/2pm Im starving!!!!

I went to the market next door to the gym and got a loaf of bread, peanut butter and jelly to make sandwiches when I get hungry. While at the check stand, they had bottles of "muscle milk". So i grabbed a bottle to try it out, the bottle I got is 14fl oz and is boasting 25g of protein and 230 calories.

Whats your opinion on muscle milk and do you think making pb&j sandwiches would be ok to hold me off till dinner? (7pm-ish)

Wait a minute, are you saying that you go to the gym from 11:50-12:50 and upon completion you don't eat anything right away once done until you start feeling "starving" 30-40 minutes later? You need to do some research on "post-workout nutrition". This meal is potentially one of the most important nutrient intake times of the entire day. After you break down your muscles you need to give them what they need to start repairing as soon as possible. And you want it to be something that can be quickly and easily absorbed, i.e. fast acting protein/carb mix. Post workout I mix up about 40-50 grams of whey protein + another 40-50 grams of carbs (usually a 50/50 mix of dextrose and maltodextrin).

Go order some carb and protein powders and have this ready, it will be a lot more cost effective in the long run than buying some bottled stuff off the shelf everyday. Put the powder in a shaker bottle and when done with your workout pour some water in, shake it up and drink it right away after you're done.

You might also want to rethink some of the rest of your diet there. Just a bowl of cereal for breakfast is a pretty piddly nutrition source. Your body has been fasting all night and needs a larger dose of protein in the AM. Subway I'm not terribly crazy about, I would try to find a more nutritious lunch but whatever. Like I said above about a post-workout shake. If your next time you plan to eat after that is dinner around 7pm you need to work something else in between 5-6 hours with no nutrients is not good. So around 4-ish I would add something else.

Personally around 4pm I have a Questbar, they are the bomb.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LoL, yes.......I feel guilty after working out and then eating....LoL!!!

OK, I will re-evaluate the situation and try to work in some beter nutrition.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,808 Posts
Post-workout your body is actually better able to utilize simple carbs (your system is more insulin sensitive plus it also needs carbs to replenish your muscle's glycogen stores), so if there's any time throughout the day to splurge that would actually be it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts