Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of something better than the standard purple stuff they sell for 6$ at any parts store?

The reason I ask is because I lay a thick coating every time I change tires, but its pretty dry the next time - even if Ive only done a couple trackdays and no street riding.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Why are you greasing the axle? All the axle does is pinch and hold everything together, nothing spins on or anything like that. The only reason would maybe to have it come out easier next time, i see no point it in. Your probably better off just keeping it as clean and dry as possible.

·
Registered
115 Posts
^ so what rides on your axle? that big black thing called a wheel and tire. :biggrin

you can buy axle grease at any bike store. also lithium grease works too.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
^ so what rides on your axle? that big black thing called a wheel and tire. :biggrin

you can buy axle grease at any bike store. also lithium grease works too.

Negative

There's only 1 thing that rides on the axle........these things

And they are already greased. The only thing that laying a thick layer of grease on the axle will do is attract dirt. All that is needed is a very light layer of lubrication to keep the axle from seizing to the inner bearing races. Anything more than that just makes a mess.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Negative

There's only 1 thing that rides on the axle........these things

And they are already greased. The only thing that laying a thick layer of grease on the axle will do is attract dirt. All that is needed is a very light layer of lubrication to keep the axle from seizing to the inner bearing races. Anything more than that just makes a mess.
exactly wheel bearings. have you ever handled a dry axle off a bike after a hard ride? have you ever tried to spin a wheel with a dry axle compared to a lubed axle?

a lubed axle will help the wheel turn better. :burnout

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
"exactly wheel bearings. have you ever handled a dry axle off a bike after a hard ride? have you ever tried to spin a wheel with a dry axle compared to a lubed axle?

a lubed axle will help the wheel turn better. "

Negative! An axle coming out of a bike thats been ridden is probably pretty warm, the bearing do REST on the axle but they do NOT spin at all.

Greasing your axle does nothing as far as the wheel spinning because the axle does not contact anything that is spinning. The inner races on the bearings themselves get pinched by the two outside spacers and the inner one between the bearings when you tigthten down the axle. Thats the reason the spacers are there, to clamp it all together. So by greasing your axle your just making a mess and making it funny for me watching the guys that superlube their axle thinking it makes them go faster. A small amount of grease or whatever to make sure the axle slides out of the races is fine, but its doing notta as far as the wheel spinning.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
"exactly wheel bearings. have you ever handled a dry axle off a bike after a hard ride? have you ever tried to spin a wheel with a dry axle compared to a lubed axle?

a lubed axle will help the wheel turn better. "

Negative! An axle coming out of a bike thats been ridden is probably pretty warm, the bearing do REST on the axle but they do NOT spin at all.

Greasing your axle does nothing as far as the wheel spinning because the axle does not contact anything that is spinning. The inner races on the bearings themselves get pinched by the two outside spacers and the inner one between the bearings when you tigthten down the axle. Thats the reason the spacers are there, to clamp it all together. So by greasing your axle your just making a mess and making it funny for me watching the guys that superlube their axle thinking it makes them go faster. A small amount of grease or whatever to make sure the axle slides out of the races is fine, but its doing notta as far as the wheel spinning.
What he said.

DH

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts

Thanks for saving me the typing :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where does all the axle grease go then?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Either pop the seal off (carefully) pack it and put the seal back

or

just buy a new bearing, they aren't much money