Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys wear back/chest protectors besides what is already in suits/jackets? What do you think of Alpinestar's bionic jackets?

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
I run a full alpinestars back protector when I race or run track days. The stock is fine if you do street, but its always best to have the best gear.

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
I wore a Technic 7 plate when I rode the street. They cost about $70.00 brand new.
I highly recommend one just in case.

My pops got hit last year and now he wears an Alpinestars one religiously.
IF you go down it is a good security measure for your back for real. They really help spread out the impact and your back is very important to say the least

Since I started racing though I got a pressure suit which has a back, chrest, shoulders, torso, and elbow protectors all in one. A bit much for the street

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
I have the same Teknic that John is referring to. Last weekend I managed to run through the gravel trap at t1 @ Summit point and out the back of it. I proceeded to launch myself and the bike over the berm, hit a tree (me not the bike) which sent me flying about 40' through the air and I landed on some boulders on my back protector. The Teknic back protector in hard plastic plates that are riveted onto a .5" closed cell foam pad. The force of my impact drove the back protector into me with enough force that the rivets were driven into my back and left individual bruises on my left side (I'll post up pics in AG when I get them developed so that everyone can see the need for proper equipment). I (eventually) walked away from that because of the protector. Had I not been wearing it I would have at the very least suffered several broken ribs and the potential for much worse injury. I never ride anywhere without my leathers, helmet, boots, gloves & back protector.

Oh yeah, and the Teknic back protector came through without a scratch or cracked panel on it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Oh yeah, and the Teknic back protector came through without a scratch or cracked panel on it.
Glad you are relatively injury free after that.

Are the plastic pieces discolored anywhere at all? It's not a good idea to continue to use it if it truly absorbed an impact, as those plastic bits are will flex and spread impact energy, but will only do that properly once, just like a helmet shell they become weakened. There are more proven choices out there that are CE approved under those guidelines for energy absorption, similar to DOT or Snell helmet labels that are likely even more effective as far as transmitting forces. More recent designs have gone to using more advanced inner core materials instead of the platic plates to pass the newer CE performance requirements.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i know this is a noob questoin but owell...

i have the alpinestar venom leather jacket. can i get one that goes in the back of the jacket where it unzips? some guy showed me one that goes in the jacket but i don't know if they all will or just certain ones...

http://www.alpinestars.com/_lp/moto_protect_frst.htm
i'm looking at teh tech back protector or the tech race one...
any imput?

sorry for the dumb ? but i'm new

·
Registered
445 Posts

i have the alpinestar venom leather jacket. can i get one that goes in the back of the jacket where it unzips? some guy showed me one that goes in the jacket but i don't know if they all will or just certain ones...

any imput?

The Tech will only fit seperately with the use of the straps. A seperate piece like that is better, but you can get the RC protector that will fit in the pocket and at least give you proper CE approved protection, and it's dirt cheap.

There's other options, do a search on here for back protectors, you'll find a number of threads.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Glad you are relatively injury free after that.

Are the plastic pieces discolored anywhere at all? It's not a good idea to continue to use it if it truly absorbed an impact, as those plastic bits are will flex and spread impact energy, but will only do that properly once, just like a helmet shell they become weakened. There are more proven choices out there that are CE approved under those guidelines for energy absorption, similar to DOT or Snell helmet labels that are likely even more effective as far as transmitting forces. More recent designs have gone to using more advanced inner core materials instead of the platic plates to pass the newer CE performance requirements.
No discoloration of the panels at all. However since I trust my gear with my life I would never think of reusing it and I've already got a new one on order which will be here prior to the next race on the 28th. I would, however, have used it for the rest of the races had the bike and myself been capable of continuing.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about chest protectors? I'm looking into back protectors but see different companies offer, armor jackets or combo back/chest protectors. I like the alipinstar bionic but the elbow and shoulder armor doesn't come out. My jackets have this. What about the icon field armor vest?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I like the idea of a jersey-style undergarment a lot, because you could swap into any jacket to keep the same level of protection for all of your jackets, which in the end could be a less expensive and more easily changeable route over the long term. I guess it all depends on how you really want it to work for you on a daily basis.

I think soft armor is a better idea for undergarments, as hard armor will provide less surface area and pressure points that will lead to quicker abrasion of outer layers, and their doesn't appear to be any real evidence of benefits to any hard-shelled impact protectors right now.

The T-pro Forcefield Undergarment has the best armor of any of the options, and looks a lot less bulky than any others as well. You can't beat the Forcefield back protector for protection and comfort, and the limb pads are also the best stuff on the market according to everything I've seen about them. The inclusion of cordura and the other materials looks really nice for comfort and protection in comparison to the other options out there. I'm not sure if you can remove the protectors or not.

http://www.johnsonleather.com/forcefield_undergarment_kit.htm

I would look for CE appproved protectors in all areas, but there is no provision in the CE standards for the chest area, so it is up in the air as to how effective any of the various chest pieces will perform or how much coverage area they will provide. Some will contain the same materials that are used for the limb protectors, which is likely better than any hard plastic or cheaper EVA or dual-density stuff found in some of them.

The Velocity Gear protector is another good option that is less expensive than most. It's got a hogh-perofrmance rated back protector and CE approved limb pads, and chest pieces that look to be made from the same materials as the limb protectors.

www.highvelocitygear.com/armor.html

·
Registered
644 Posts
hmm yeah I was wondering about chest armor myself...I've broken some of my ribs and was thinking about looking into better protecting my chest/sides somehow.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
i wear a knox all in one, back/chest/shoulder/elbow. it helps fill out the leathers, plus means the armours stuck in the right place. i wear it everytime i ride.

·
Registered
654 Posts
What about chest protectors? I'm looking into back protectors but see different companies offer, armor jackets or combo back/chest protectors. I like the alipinstar bionic but the elbow and shoulder armor doesn't come out. My jackets have this. What about the icon field armor vest?
I have the Icon Field Armor vest, and I wear it all of the time. It's good for adding a bit of extra protection to my leather jacket- which I feel has way too little in the back for protection. I've gotten comments from a lot of people that the Icon vest looks like it would do a good job. I have crash-tested it (lowsided on some sand at about 70-80 mph), and it held-up pretty well. I ended up cracking my last rib on one side, but I think that the cause of that was more due to my cellphone being low in my breast pocket of my leather jacket. Needless to say, I've found an alternate location for the cellphone.

Complaints about the Icon Vest: it's one size fits all. If you are a big guy, forget it. I think that the back should extend another inch or two, to fully protect the tailbone. Other than that, it's rather unobtrusive to wear under a jacket. Even if you have a mesh jacket, the Icon vest won't make you much hotter.

Overall, I'd give the Icon Vest the thumbs up
I believe that it helped protect me in my crash, and I will continue to wear mine everytime I ride.

·
Registered
351 Posts

any imput?

I have an insert for my Alpinestars jacket and it’s bulky, not contoured to the back, and uncomfortable. With that being said I would avoid the Alpinestars insert. However, their other non-integrated (strap style) back protection is great.

I do have an insert for my Dainese leather jacket, which fits great and is contoured to the back with flexible fins but it doesn’t give me full protection to the tail bone. Overall I think the best protection is offered by the strap style because they give you full spinal coverage.

I don’t like to ride without back protection on the street or track because you never know how your body is going to land or what you may hit. The last think I want is a bad back injury that could have been avoided by using some type of back protection.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the Icon Field Armor vest, and I wear it all of the time. It's good for adding a bit of extra protection to my leather jacket- which I feel has way too little in the back for protection. I've gotten comments from a lot of people that the Icon vest looks like it would do a good job. I have crash-tested it (lowsided on some sand at about 70-80 mph), and it held-up pretty well. I ended up cracking my last rib on one side, but I think that the cause of that was more due to my cellphone being low in my breast pocket of my leather jacket. Needless to say, I've found an alternate location for the cellphone.

Complaints about the Icon Vest: it's one size fits all. If you are a big guy, forget it. I think that the back should extend another inch or two, to fully protect the tailbone. Other than that, it's rather unobtrusive to wear under a jacket. Even if you have a mesh jacket, the Icon vest won't make you much hotter.

Overall, I'd give the Icon Vest the thumbs up
I believe that it helped protect me in my crash, and I will continue to wear mine everytime I ride.
I have the Icon Field armor vest and wear it under my 1 piece suit. I crashed in November. Plowed my bike into a guardrail and was thrown down the street. Walked away with an injury to my hand. I think the Icon is pretty good gear at a decent price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts