Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it so? I would like to get some HID's, but I'm afraid I might get a ticket or not pass inspection. What's going on?

·
Blowjobs........ for the ULTRA low-low price of $3
1,995 Posts
there not illegal!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Actually, Stew600, they are illegal if your headlight housing was not made for HID's. It has to do with the beam and how the reflector focuses it. and heres the article i got it from

9. Are HID's legal?
Installing HID's into a vehicle not originally equipped with them from the factory is technically illegal. Practically speaking, you stand little chance of being cited for them provided you educate yourself on the requirements of HID lighting and take the necessary steps to ensure you have the right equipment and adjustments to keep it safe. That is, make sure your vehicle's headlight assembly uses an appropriately designed projector lense (as opposed to a reflector), and of course that your headlights are properly aligned after installation. Many newer vehicles use projector lenses because stock halogen bulbs also benefit from the "light shaping", but having just any old projector lense does not necessarily ensure that the beam pattern will be correct. It is absolutely essential for HID's to give the light output a sharp cutoff line to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. As HID's become more popular, aftermarket projector housings are being produced for some vehicles.

The Department of Transportation (DOT) states that improperly-installed HID's are getting a lot of complaints. Vendors will usually include a disclaimer that they are intended for offroad use only, but it's no secret that people don't follow this rule. Now, there are a lot of aftermarket automotive parts that qualify as illegal but aren't strictly enforced. Logically, the safety implications of blinding oncoming drivers are more serious than, say, an exhaust that exceeds the legal noise level. So the DOT has actively gone after vendors of HID conversion kits, threatening monetary fines if they continue selling them, and consequently there are now fewer places to buy them.

Be responsible. Do your research. Nearly every vehicle make and model imaginable has an enthusiast community on the web. The people there take this kind of stuff seriously and can help you understand the HID requirements for your car.

UPDATE 01/29/04: I received the following email from Richard <last name omitted> of the NHTSA:
SUBJECT: Why don't you tell the truth about the 'HID ban'
No HID retrofit kit can be legally sold. It is that simple.

Richard x. xxx xxxxxxxxx
Chief, Visibility and Injury Prevention Division
400 Seventh Street, S.W., Room 5307
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Washington, DC 20590
001 202 366 xxxx V
001 202 366 xxxx F
[email protected]

The opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily the
official position of NHTSA on this matter. Should you need an official
confirmation of an answer or need a legal opinion that would be used as a
basis by you for making a decision on a business or legal matter, you
should write to:

Chief Counsel
400 Seventh Street, S.W., Room 5219
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Washington DC 20590
001 202 366 3820 F
[email protected]

·
Blowjobs........ for the ULTRA low-low price of $3
1,995 Posts

·
Magic Pro-Troll®
22,861 Posts
Basically, if they didn't come OEM, then you cannot use HIDs legally.

If you want to pay for the DOT to stamp your lights if you think you can get them to pass...then that is all you.:lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
See Steddy Win
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing