Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at several cams for my 03 750 (Yosh and gsxrzone.com) and am just wondering if they really make a big improvement for the $600-700 (plus install) they go for? Also, anyone know where the best prices are for Yosh full exhausts? I've been thinking about going full exhaust/PCIII, and cams...any thoughts on this? Worth the $1500-$1700?

·
Registered
137 Posts
here's my two cents. i DON'T think full exhausts are worth it. unless your exhaust is welded and you can't unbolt the tip, then it may be worth it. personally, i'd just rip all the baffels out of it. your 750 will sound REAL mean then.

also, cams are worth it. try just the cams before the PCIII. you will notice a difference. heck, find someone that is getting rid of/parting out etc. a gsxr1000 and use those cams.

OR, find a 1000 motor and use that, just swap it out. (that's my plan). so yeah.

cams are worth it. i like ripping the exhaust apart and running like that. BUT, here there are no emissions, so i don't care about sound or anything like that.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Okay as a mechanic, racer and in general GSXR owner with experience doing this.

DO not just rip the baffles out of your can. It will sound like a coffee can and anyone truely into motorcycles and performance will snicker at you the first time you pull away.

Even aftermarket exhausts have baffles in them and inner airflow restriction since each motor size needs a certain degree of back pressure to operate proper and not have dead spots. Stock cans don't truely have a "baffle" they are more set up like a car muffler. They make the air flow one direction and then back on itself a few times to slow it down. When you rip that inner wall out the air flows stright through, reverbs and sounds terrible since there is no comparable packing to muffle things or slow the air.

Welding on the can has nothing to do with anything. Personally a slip on exhaust will yield virtually no added power, but a PC would. Headers and midpipe is where the HP is picked up. The elliminated little restricting cat converter in the midpipe near the header weld will be gone and the header pipes a bit larger and smoother flowing. A PC and full exhaust would be worth a solid 7hp gain on your bike.

As for cams......well they are worth it, but yea expensive. Pretty safe to say with our bikes every 1hp gained costs about 100 bucks or more. Good rule of thumb.

So that said a set of APE cams adjusted can give you a few hp up top. But they are better saved and used when you do head and valve work for a solid 10-15hp gain.

If you want a silly bit of power to play with for cheap buy a little MPS N20 set up for $350. Solid 20+ hp with no real additional tuning needed. And you only need to use it when you want to play. Good conversation goodie at the hang outs too

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.