Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen on several recall sites that the 1998 GSX-R 750 SRAD does not have a bad CCT and that there is no recall on it, only one recall and it's for a faulty gas line fitting comming loose so is the 98 auto CCT good or bad??? I have a 98 750 and wondering if I should put some money in a manual CCT or just trust the one I have now. I did get the bike checked by my dealer a couple of weeks ago and the mechanic told me everything was fine including the CCT (just got the bike a couple of months ago) so I really don't know who to trust.

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
from what i can tell by checking the recall site..theres no recall..mines fine so far and i have 25k on my 98..

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
yeah I've got almost 13K on my 98 and I've never experienced the problem...

but if it does arise, shut off the motor and get the manual CCT asap... I was thinking of replacing mine this winter but I got wayyyyy too busy polishing

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well. do you want to trust it? I will never own a bike without a manual CCT. I have seen what happens to motors that jump timming..

It is a good investment for your bike. A Auto CCT can back off for a spilt second even if there is nothing wrong with it. That is all it could take to blow the motor.

A Manual CCT can not back out unless you didnt adjust the lock nut correctly...

John

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
Well. do you want to trust it? I will never own a bike without a manual CCT. I have seen what happens to motors that jump timming..

It is a good investment for your bike. A Auto CCT can back off for a spilt second even if there is nothing wrong with it. That is all it could take to blow the motor.

A Manual CCT can not back out unless you didnt adjust the lock nut correctly...

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Amen to everything John has said here, I know first hand myself.
The only thing about the manual tensioner is you need to pay attention to what you are doing while adjusting it. Over tighten it and you can blow your cam chain very quickly, under tighten it and it can jump teeth on the cams. Both bad M'kay

Most of the CCT probs were in the 600's but there were 750's with the problem too.
If your bike is clicking I would recommend getting a manual one

jontflesh

·
Registered
30 Posts
i think they sucks big time.i got 60k on my bike and i've changed the CCT twice and the fuel pump once.Too bad my area doesnt carry manual CCT,so i juz have to stick wif the OEM CCT.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 98 750, 12k on the clock, cam chain jumped teeth 2 weeks ago (with auto cct), I had no warning at all (until the engine stopped dead), am now facing a repair bil of £800 for valve damage.......

The choice is yours, approx $35 for a manual cct or a bill like mine (or worse....). I know what I wish I had done....

I am not alone in this scenario.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I do want to get a manual CCT but I was just wondering if it was the same part number on the 600 and 750. It's funny that the 600 has problems and not the 750 and funny that the 97 600s don't have any recalls yet the 98s do??? What gives, isn't it the same part number or did they change the design in it that would account for the problems everyone is having with them. Why so many 600s have problems and alot less 750s? I'm still getting a manual CCT just a simple question.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by Zomby:
Well I do want to get a manual CCT but I was just wondering if it was the same part number on the 600 and 750. It's funny that the 600 has problems and not the 750 and funny that the 97 600s don't have any recalls yet the 98s do??? What gives, isn't it the same part number or did they change the design in it that would account for the problems everyone is having with them. Why so many 600s have problems and alot less 750s? I'm still getting a manual CCT just a simple question.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The 600 and 750 are the same part.

I dont rememeber if it is the 98 or 99 CCT that replaces the 97-96... something like that.. I know that you can no longer buy a new 97 CCT, it was replaced...

Get the manual one and your problems are done.

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks GSXR-Freak, that's what I thought about them being the same part. My manual CCT is ordered and I'm not riding the bike till I get it. I'll install it myself so I might get back to you if I need help. I already have the manual and everything and it's not the first time I do something on my bike but it will be the first time I change a CCT.

·
Registered
251 Posts
ok so im gonna get one, but where do i get one and how hard is it to install i dont even know what one is but im pretty crafty...any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Call APE in Burbank, CA and they can get you one.. about 50 bucks or so...

DONT FORGET TO CHECK THE CHAIN BETWEEN THE CAMS.

Also, a tip for you. Before you remove the stock CCT, open the valve cover and if you turn you motor over by hand, there is a point were you will be able to put a zip tie in the hole on the cam sprocket and around the chain, Do this and pull it tight. The goal you are looking for is to keep the chain from trying to jump when you take the CCT off of it... Because it will jump if there is enough pressure pulling on the chain (the cams do this). Also, check your cam timming JUST IN CASE. Check it a few times... Before you take out the stock CCT, after you put the MCCT in, and just before you put the cover back on...

Do not cut the zip tie will after you have the MCCT tight on the chain...

You will also need to go get a shorter blot or some washers. The APE CCT is not as thick as the stok one.

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks but I actually got a Yoshimura manual CCT, that's the only one I could get up here in Canada. Thanks for the tip with the tie rap, I'll do that.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If you run into any problems... Shoot me a PM... I have it set to send me mail when I get that so i will know asap...

John

·
Registered
119 Posts
you guys south of the border got it made....you can get almost any part you want for any bike at any time you need it,,,,I want Manual CCT for my 98 and I have to order the damn thing ...I cant even get a manual for my bike locally....Its a lot worse out side the states so...be thankful your market is flooded !!

·
Registered
119 Posts
you guys south of the border got it made....you can get almost any part you want for any bike at any time you need it,,,,I want Manual CCT for my 98 and I have to order the damn thing ...I cant even get a manual for my bike locally....Its a lot worse out side the states so...be thankful your market is flooded !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts