Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mr Creepy McCreep
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im wanting to buy an ar my problem is should i do a custom build make it indivivualized for me and how i want it from the get go or buy a prefab (dpms, colt, bushmaster, ect) and then do the custom work. any ideas or comments?

·
Mr Creepy McCreep
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the problem is the budget i could probably get away with a piece here and there vs running out and buying a new rifle all together

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
the problem is the budget i could probably get away with a piece here and there vs running out and buying a new rifle all together
In that case, your power is self-control and willpower. If you can buy piece by piece over time, then you can save bit by bit over time towards a complete rifle.

·
Mr Creepy McCreep
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would it be cheaper i guess is the question i should've asked to piece and part it together vs a complete rifle

·
Registered
867 Posts
I say go with a complete rifle. What are you looking to build? A tacticool rifle with lights and lasers and 13 point slings and bottle openers and red dot sights, or a match ready internally upgraded shooter, or just a good all around home defense rifle? If you really want to get into match grade barrels and trigger jobs, etc, id say build it from the ground up. If youre looking to build a military style AR i say buy a used flattop complete rifle and add accessories here and there. I guess what im trying to say is it depends what you want to do with it

·
Mr Creepy McCreep
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just something to goof off with don't need lasers but i tac light would be nice to take care of some armadillos occasionally but mostly just to plink with. a buddy of mine has a dpms and that bastard is heavy i don't like the weight of his i would prefer to go lighter so i guess its just about shopping around then

·
Registered
867 Posts
just something to goof off with don't need lasers but i tac light would be nice to take care of some armadillos occasionally but mostly just to plink with. a buddy of mine has a dpms and that bastard is heavy i don't like the weight of his i would prefer to go lighter so i guess its just about shopping around then
Sounds like buying a complete rifle would be best. Not sure what they go for nowadays but i picked mine up in 2007 for $800 shipped with over $700 of accessories. Check out gunsamerica.com. Should find a good deal on there for sub-$800

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get a lower parts kit from Spikes Tactical and a complete upper from Noveske. The lower is easier to put together, and the main contributing factors to accuracy are the bolt and the barrel. You can't beat Noveske for quality on uppers.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,416 Posts
Stale thread. I'm looking at carbines right now. Most of what I've read points me to the Colt LE6920. You can slowly accessorize. The Bushmaster Superlite Red Dot is a red dot site equipped AR for about $700. But I've heard that they have some durability issues. It's hard to get any real input on guns. Most is either marketing material or individual reviews. Usually, gun owners are bigger brand whores than sportbike riders.

I work with a guy who is a hobby gun smith, ex-military who spent a lot of time in the jungle, and an all around good guy. I'll probably just tell him what I'm after and give him a budget number. I work on his computers all the time, so he'll be happy to set me up right. He's got 2 mil-spec M4s in his gun safe. And when I say mil-spec I mean the real fuckin deal.

From what I've been told, you've really got to do your homework. I just learned tonight that the S&W M&P ARs are outsourced. The only real fact I learned tonight is that I need to talk to a couple different gun stores, my buddy, and do a whole lot more reading.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Geek. Bushmaster had a problem with the bolts a while ago. I'm pretty sure that problem has been rectified. Other than that, I own one and a couldn't be happier with it.

·
I dont love OG's cack anymore
1,590 Posts
I had a riverarms AR15 with the collapsible stock and I eventually added the forearm grip, the accessory ribbed rail. From there we attached a green dot laser on one side with a grip control and a tactical light on the other side. As far as the scope went we look a long distance scope and mounted it on the top rail with a close quarters holographic mounted on top of the long distance scope. All in all, it was a fun toy to play with in the back yard and let friends and family play around with or just to show off. It was not necessarily needed but it was fun. I had good experiences with the Buschmaster ARs and the Colts. Personally I do not care much for the Colt style.

We bought the gun as stock, and added parts as we came across things we cared to get. Gun shows are a nice place to go to pick up on things versus the nearest gun store.

·
13,416 Posts
Geek. Bushmaster had a problem with the bolts a while ago. I'm pretty sure that problem has been rectified. Other than that, I own one and a couldn't be happier with it.
I was hearing about more problems than that. Threads stripping, soft materials, etc. This was all based on the superlight. Lightweight materials often sacrifice something else. Still a lot of homework to do.

·
13,416 Posts
Ended up buying a Smith and Wesson M&P15 flatop. Went to the gunshow a couple weeks ago, and I've got everything I wanted except a bi-pod and rail moutned light.

Added:
Troy floating forearm
NcStar 4x scope
Liongears 1" riser
Liongears 45 dgree offset rails
Midwest Industries flip-up irons
5 gov't issue surplus mags.
A nice softside case.

2012-10-30_20-18-30_170.jpg
2012-10-30_20-20-38_972.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts