Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salute! I've been lurking for a few months now. I was wondering if anyone had any good info about the Aprilia RS50. Is it essentially a scooter? Can it go highway speeds, etc? Is it absolutely rediculous?
Is there anything weird about maintaining a 2-stroke or anything I should know about 2-strokes that's important? I'm interested in the RS50, ninja 250 etc mainly cuz I'm a broke-ass stoodent, but the Aprilia looks cool, minus the weiner exhaust, forks, and wheels. Believe me, I'd like a gix6, but I guess poverty is the better part of sensibility.

·
Super Moderator
15,073 Posts
The RS50 is a cool little bike, but I can assure you that you'll get bored with the power fairly quickly. I'm pretty sure it's capable of a top speed somewhere in the neighborhood of 65 mph. You're pretty much fucked if you have to get out of a sticky situation because the thing accelerates literally like a moped.

If your looking for a first bike and you were considering the 250 ninja, I suggest going with that. You'll have more power availble and you'll be less likely to get bored with it so quickly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would get the ninja 250 in a heartbeat if it didn't look like it was from the 80s. I swear if the manufacturers made cool, modern 250 or 400cc relatively inexpensive sport bikes, they would sell like hotcakes. Well, that's debatable, but I would get one. I don't care too much about naked vs full fairing; I'd love to have an SV, but for that price, I'd have to wait until next winter probably to get one. And all the cheap (3k and under) sportbikes I see on cycletrader are either wrecked, have "polished frames," or are used ninja250s/buell blasts whose prices are still close to new msrp.
So in that price range am I pretty much stuck with a ninja250 or the Aprilia race scooter? I've seen mention of used SVs for around $3k on this board, but have never seen a classified ad for one that cheap.

·
Registered
221 Posts
RS50's are mopeds, trying to be a sports bike. It'll see 40mph if yer lucky, unless you de-restrict it and tune it, then it'll just go bang. And seeings as you seem to know little about 2-strokes it's best to avoid a tuned one because they need looking after. I'm guessing you can't be that poor if you are thinking of getting one. Any reason why you couldn't get the RS250? Stonking bikes them. If you are on a cheap budget, I would higly recommend a Yamaha TZR250, handle like a demon and quick to boot. Avoid 250 4-strokes altogether because a 125 two-stroke is quicker. A well built and looked after two-stroke is just a reliable as a four-stroke, believe me.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Originally posted by MotoPosse Cowboy:
I would get the ninja 250 in a heartbeat if it didn't look like it was from the 80s.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, they don't all look that bad. You're probably thinking of this...

...but there are models that look like this...

Kawi Ninja 250R

Sorry I couldn't find a bigger picture. This other 250 looks much better, especially in the front. The wheel doesn't look so distant from the rest of the bike, and the colour is way better than the typical bright green.

[ 02-01-2003, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Brolo ]

·
Super Moderator
15,073 Posts
Shop around bro...I'm sure you can do a little better than an RS50 with $3k. Don't shy away from older model 600s either.

Early Honda CBRS F, F3, F2 etc.
Yamaha FZR600
Kawi EX500
Suzi, GS500

These are all pretty good beginner bikes that you should take a look at. I made sure to name bikes that you could get on your budget.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
I had a collegue once who had a de-restricted RS50. After two years the engine was totally wrecked. BTW it looks rediculously small unless you're more than, say, 5'4". Not to mention the destinct moped sound! I would definately get a 250 (at least) 4-stroke. But remember to spare out some money for proper gear!!!
You'll appreciate it the day you crash...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the gear budgeted I think. I want the Kushitani Real Ride pants and jacket. When I'm ready to buy, I'll try to find them for around $600, which I think have seen once or twice, but usually they're like $800. Helmet I need to try on, so I won't say without trying I want an arai, but I'll see; gonna spend no more than $300. Then maybe $100 for non-robocop looking boots, something like sidi city boots if I can find that. I already have violator pro gloves. I might also get a back protector if I try one on somewhere and it's cheap.

But anyway, I've done lots of research and those are good recommendations Carnage. I'll keep searching for one of those used or if I get too impatient I'll just snag a ninja250. What is Kawasaki implying when all the pictures of it on their website have it ridden by a girl?
Whatever, the haters don't know shit anyway.
Thanks for the info about the Aprilia anyway and Looney, the TZR250 must be a Euro model, not on Yamaha's website.

On a totally unrelated note, my first banana:
. Badass.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
I have the gear budgeted I think. I want the Kushitani Real Ride pants and jacket. When I'm ready to buy, I'll try to find them for around $600, which I think have seen once or twice, but usually they're like $800. Helmet I need to try on, so I won't say without trying I want an arai, but I'll see; gonna spend no more than $300. Then maybe $100 for non-robocop looking boots, something like sidi city boots if I can find that. I already have violator pro gloves. I might also get a back protector if I try one on somewhere and it's cheap.

But anyway, I've done lots of research and those are good recommendations Carnage. I'll keep searching for one of those used or if I get too impatient I'll just snag a ninja250. What is Kawasaki implying when all the pictures of it on their website have it ridden by a girl?
Whatever, the haters don't know shit anyway.
Thanks for the info about the Aprilia anyway and Looney, the TZR250 must be a Euro model, not on Yamaha's website.

On a totally unrelated note, my first banana:
. Badass.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good thinking about the gear
And so what if the Ninja 250 is a "girl's bike"? Some say that about the SV650 too, and the Hardley
guys say that about the 883 Sportster
. So what? It'll still outrun any car (or RS50)...

·
Registered
90 Posts
thats what i was going to mention look at a rs250 and then put mirrors and a head light and tail light and blinker to make it street legal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, that's definitely an awesome bike, but the reason why I asked about the 50 was because it's relatively cheap. That's ok though, I'm starting to see better used deals out there now that I know what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea, that's definitely an awesome bike, but the reason why I asked about the 50 was because it's relatively cheap. That's ok though, I'm starting to see better used deals out there now that I know what I'm looking for.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">should be able to get a 250 for between 2K and 2800 ... good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
look at this guy, wining that he has no money to spend on a bike, then wanting KUSHITANI leathers! yeah, you'll look real cool and pick up a lot of chicks doin 45mph in your kushitani leathers on your RS50 moped

Doesn't the RS50 cost around 3 grand? For 3 grand, you can have a brand new 250, with top speed around 110mph. Better yet, why would you buy a brand new beginner bike? Most likely you'll wreck it, so it won't be so new any more..and besides, you'll outgrow its power in 6-12 months depending on your abilities, and will sell it to get a bigger bike. Go on www.cycletrader.com and get a used 250 for around $1700 in excellent condition.

The RS50 won't teach you anything, unless you're 15 years old and weigh 120lbs. It's more of a collector's bike, like a pocketbike. If you got no money to waste, forget about Kushitani's.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sounds like you have something against Kushitani. I'm not "wining" and dining anyone and neither am I whining. I already got some good replies about the RS50 and I think we determined that it's a cool looking scooter, but thanks for your concern about my propensity to pick up chicks.
I'm not overly worried about that, but I do like the Kushitani style and reputation for safety.

Thanks for the recommendation about 250s on cycletrader. I'm gonna keep looking for used F2s, F3s, hawks, gs500s, sv's, etc, but if I don't find a good example when I'm ready to buy, I'll pick up a 250. The way I figure, there's such little difference between a new 250 and a used one almost the same price, so if I couldn't find a used bigger bike, I'd just buy the 250 new. I can always sell it for damn near what paid for it a year later.

·
Registered
779 Posts
chill Spiderman, the reason i went off about Kushitanis...funny you mentioned them, cuz when i was looking to buy a 1-piece, my mouth started watering when i saw their line. they got the fanciest looking leathers..and i'm sure the reputation is good. but, superexpensive...and the quality, i mean, them holding up in a crash, are just as good as any regular joe rocket or vanson leather at like 1/2 or even 1/3 the cost of fancy pretty-boy Kushitani's.

i ended up getting the suzuki 1-piece for $400...coulda had it for $300 if waited one more month... still, better than spending $800-$1600 on fancy colored leathers...btw, my Suzuki suit held up great in a crash. if you're a beginner, and got the money to waste on Kushitani, , and i do mean "waste", better invest in a better bike and/or performance mods, Spiderman

it ain't about having fun looking good, it's about having fun riding good

·
Registered
779 Posts
look at this guy, wining that he has no money to spend on a bike, then wanting KUSHITANI leathers! yeah, you'll look real cool and pick up a lot of chicks doin 45mph in your kushitani leathers on your RS50 moped

Doesn't the RS50 cost around 3 grand? For 3 grand, you can have a brand new 250, with top speed around 110mph. Better yet, why would you buy a brand new beginner bike? Most likely you'll wreck it, so it won't be so new any more..and besides, you'll outgrow its power in 6-12 months depending on your abilities, and will sell it to get a bigger bike. Go on www.cycletrader.com and get a used 250 for around $1700 in excellent condition.

The RS50 won't teach you anything, unless you're 15 years old and weigh 120lbs. It's more of a collector's bike, like a pocketbike. If you got no money to waste, forget about Kushitani's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts