Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it to buy riding boots for just normal riding? I have got my eye on some alpinestars (middle of the road boots) for like $220. I don't really ride hard, and its not like there are any twisties around here. Also, I wear leather boots now, soo its not like Im rocking "Nikes" around town.... alright sometimes its Nikes.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Yeah, proper riding boots are worth it - I've crashed in both my old Hi Tec Magnums (summer combat boots) and my Sidis - and the Sidis provided much more protection. I'd take those over the A-Stars, though - I've heard of too many A-Stars coming apart where they are glued while I've never heard anyone complain about the durability of Sidis

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a pair of Alpinestars SMX-3 boots for sale. They are size 45 in blue and have been worn twice. They are a little to big for me.

$160

Let me know

·
Registered
445 Posts
http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/91.html

http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/87.html

Look for the CE label, Footwear standard EN 13634:

Protective footwear for professional motorcycle riders – Requirements and test methods

Based on the wealth of available industrial footwear standards to draw from, EN 13634 provides an adaptation suitable to the demands motorcyclists place on their footwear. There is a minimum height requirement of 160 mm, measured inside the boot from the footbed up the rear of the boot to its topmost edge.

The strength of the bond between the sole and the upper is tested, the thickness and cleat height (depth of “tread”) of the sole must both be above prescribed mimima and its resistance to abrasion is tested. The sole is also required to demonstrate a minimum specifoied level of inherent rigidity – too soft a sole could collapse in an accident and increase the risk of severe foot injuries, which a more rigid sole might help to prevent.

The uppers of the footwear are subjected to the impact abrasion test described in EN 13595 Part 2, although the impact cut test follows a different method to that used for garments. The water absorption and desorption characteristics of the material worn closest to the wearer is also assessed.

Optional requirements include testing of impact protection which may be fitted to the ankle and shin, water resistance and fuel oil resistance of the outsole.

Alpinestars now claim that their racing boots meet the CE criteria, as do the Sidi Vertigo Corsas, and the entire line of Oxtars.

·
Registered
171 Posts
IMO, they are worth it.

I have A* Supertechs. While I haven't crash tested them, they have served me well for 40K miles. I submitted them once for warranty for just normal wear and tear, and A* warranty was extra nice and responsive.

Supertechs come up on Ebay for ~$220. At that price, they are definately the best boots out there, and the best value.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a pair of Alpinestars SMX-3 boots for sale. They are size 45 in blue and have been worn twice. They are a little to big for me.

$160

Let me know
Sorry I want all black. I need to get somewhere to try some different boots on first, I would never by with out knowing how they fit first. I have bought enough shoes to know they all fit a little different.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd take those over the A-Stars, though - I've heard of too many A-Stars coming apart where they are glued while I've never heard anyone complain about the durability of Sidis
I got the smx plus, and the only place I can find where there is gluing is on the sole. but I have never once heard this. maybe on the cheaper models like the gps or gp tech, but mine are pretty solid.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
I'd take those over the A-Stars, though - I've heard of too many A-Stars coming apart where they are glued while I've never heard anyone complain about the durability of Sidis
I got the smx plus, and the only place I can find where there is gluing is on the sole. but I have never once heard this. maybe on the cheaper models like the gps or gp tech, but mine are pretty solid.
Could have been older models
If they've improved it -

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just bought a set of alpine stars about a month ago and unfortunately they were already crash tested. After having my gixxer land on my ankle and my knee my ankle is only a little sore. The boot is chewed up but I have no road rash on my lower leg.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn.... I want to buy those boots! I have some wide feet, (duck paddles), and I have been told that SIDI's are a lot wider than A*'s. I have been looking for a decent priced pair of Vert 2's, but I wear a 10-10.5 depending on the shoe.... I would hate to buy and have them not fit.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I am also in the market for some boots, looking at the A-Stars S-MX3 or the Oxtar Evo, anyone with experience with both?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have the Astar S-MX they are comfortable and I can wear them all day. They make shifts feel really solid as opposed to my old steel toe Docs.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Boots are always a good idea man!!
I have the Sidi's but only becasue Astar doesnt make them to fit my gunboats... Both are excellent quality!!!

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I have a pair of AlpineStar SMX boots and they are very comfortable. I also crashed tested them and not only did they hold up well, but they saved my right ankle from getting broken. So as far as I am concerned, they are definitely worth the cash.

gixxerman

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a pair of SMX plus boots fit great not uncomfortable at all, haven't crashed with them yet.

·
Ask me about Thermodynamics
20,587 Posts
I have a pair of Alpinestars Supertech, and I can't complain at all so fra! They work perfect on the track and on the motorway, or just for cruising, the ventilation is really the best I have tryed so fra, I have never been cold or been to hot in them, and the sliders have placed very carefully and really good.
Get them!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a pair of Alpinestars Supertech i bought new for 220 and i like them a lot.. I've crash tested them twice on the track and they held up great!! not only that, my friend has the smx plus and the rubber on top of the foot cracked after about a year of riding with them and the store (cycle gear) that they were purchased at replaced them with no questions asked.. so alpinestars has good service to for them to do that.. the Sidi's also are great boots. i wanna try a pair of those for my next boots..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts