Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual APE tensioner installed and it's about time for me to adjust it but I lost the packaging for it.
DOes anyone know the cam chain slack measurements for proper adjustment?

Also, after you adjust and tighten the chain a few times..doesn't this keep stretching the chain-when when should the cam chain be replaced?

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Replace the cam chain when your tensioner is getting to the maxed out point or when you apply tension and it is not doing anything

Straight from the packing slip:
To set the tensioner adjustment, remove the cam cover. Remove the cam chain guide. Rotate the engine in the running direction. Push down on the chain between the cams and screw the tensioner in until there is between 1/4" and 3/8" deflection in the cain. Lock the jam nut on the tensioner. Replace the chain guide and the cam cover.

jontflesh

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tahnks man

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Hey fleshy.... Just so you know.. In the 99 750 they use a new guide. If you wait for the CCT to bottom out, it will never happen....

Replace the chain before you get to 30K miles. If you dont do it sooner... I would change it at about 20K just because i know what it did when mine started to break.

John

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's up John!..I'm gonna be home for the summer in just one more week-I'm gonna give you a call so we can go riding.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by Sergio:
What's up John!..I'm gonna be home for the summer in just one more week-I'm gonna give you a call so we can go riding.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Cool but you have to wait till I have a bike to ride... I am not sure how much longer till I am going to be able to put my motor back together...

John

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long have you had your motor apart?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
well I took it apart last week... and I hope that APE can have my crank done within a few weeks...

John

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
koo...well let me know if you're gonna need any help. I'd like to watch you work on it at least so I can learn more about my engine.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well it is all about money at this point.. APE says the crank might be done at the end of the week

Then I have to get the cash for the rest of the parts I have on order... lol

John

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
koo..well I'll give you a call anyways when I get back. Good Luck John.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts