Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 gsxr1000. I had a shop install SBS street excel sintered front pads and they are gripped fairly tight on the left side without the brake lever being pulled. They state that the pistons are stuck, or do you think the pads could be too thick? looking at you guys for opinions on how to go about this thank you. They have replaced the brake fluid, cleaned the calipers and all of that but the pads seem to be sticking.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I really think you need to get in there and measure. Go to the shop with calipers. Measure the thickness of the pad on one side versus the other. Then with the pads out, measure how far down the piston seats into the caliper on both sides.

If the caliper piston is truly not going all the way in, it should be obvious. Your question basically has us trying to second guess their diagnosis. If the piston isn't fully retracting, then the caliper needs to come apart to find the source of the obstruction.

Personally I don't trust motorcycle shop mechanics at ALL. I have NEVER had to bring my motorcycle in for service in almost 40 years. It would have to be a truly special shop where I completely trusted the lead mechanic before I let them touch my bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2017 gsxr1000. I had a shop install SBS street excel sintered front pads and they are gripped fairly tight on the left side without the brake lever being pulled. They state that the pistons are stuck, or do you think the pads could be too thick? looking at you guys for opinions on how to go about this thank you. They have replaced the brake fluid, cleaned the calipers and all of that but the pads seem to be sticking.
Mine just have slight leak on the left nipple valve. Replaced them with speed bleeders now, no other issues.
Though i did get rear ended before which wrecked both me and the bike bad.

Using SBS pads as well. No issue on the thickness. Something easy to inspect is the brake fluid level. Make sure its not fully topped off, there is a need for some gap so that the fluid can flow back into the tank when the caliper's pistons retracted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine just have slight leak on the left nipple valve. Replaced them with speed bleeders now, no other issues.
Though i did get rear ended before which wrecked both me and the bike bad.

Using SBS pads as well. No issue on the thickness. Something easy to inspect is the brake fluid level. Make sure its not fully topped off, there is a need for some gap so that the fluid can flow back into the tank when the caliper's pistons retracted.
Thank you I will look into it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really think you need to get in there and measure. Go to the shop with calipers. Measure the thickness of the pad on one side versus the other. Then with the pads out, measure how far down the piston seats into the caliper on both sides.

If the caliper piston is truly not going all the way in, it should be obvious. Your question basically has us trying to second guess their diagnosis. If the piston isn't fully retracting, then the caliper needs to come apart to find the source of the obstruction.

Personally I don't trust motorcycle shop mechanics at ALL. I have NEVER had to bring my motorcycle in for service in almost 40 years. It would have to be a truly special shop where I completely trusted the lead mechanic before I let them touch my bike.
I will do this, thank you

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you're lucky it's just related to brake fluid level, wheel-caliper alignment or even a defective piston seal/dust seal. In the worst case the ABS unit may be blocking the fluid return

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're lucky it's just related to brake fluid level, wheel-caliper alignment or even a defective piston seal/dust seal. In the worst case the ABS unit may be blocking the fluid return
I have the 2017 base model without abs, so that is 1 thing I believe that wont be the problem, shop opens on monday and I will take a look. The last time a i took the wheel off i did have to adjust the alignment numerous times to get it perfectly even. I'm not really a mechanic so I try to be careful with this stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine front calipers have some problem. Pads wear out from another disc and are like banana. An other disc pads are almost new.

I wash my brake calipers and pistons after every day so cant say that dust cause some kind of stuck.

I have ridden my bike four of times now. One full day and several couple hour sessions. I have felt that braking power is not so good as i supposed to be. Im riding without abs system

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine front calipers have some problem. Pads wear out from another disc and are like banana. An other disc pads are almost new.

I wash my brake calipers and pistons after every day so cant say that dust cause some kind of stuck.

I have ridden my bike four of times now. One full day and several couple hour sessions. I have felt that braking power is not so good as i supposed to be. Im riding without abs system
That looks like a burnt pad. Overheating pads can cause the back plate to distort. And yeah most of overheating problems are due to stuck piston. Better get that caliper checked pronto.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts