Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if i could run a water wetter or purple ice in my motor to try to get a little more HP. cooler = faster right? anyone got any input.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Cooler doesn't always mean faster. During the summer you can run distilled water only and it'll act as a water wetter techincally.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Cooler AIR INTAKE temperture will mean more HP than a cooler motor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
not really the max it cools is around 20% cause i just got some today and it lowered mine 4 degrees, and i have a power commander also but mine never really ran hot i just dont like seeing it hit 235 at a red light...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
watch out with the water wetter on the street. It has no anti-freezing properties. If you run it... swap back out to something gylcol based for the winter

We run water wetter in race bikes priamrily for the clean up, not the performance. Glycol does not clean up from the track easily.

*EDIT* Did you by any chance remove your cooling fan thinking you didn't need it and it was "extra weight"? I know it's a silly question, but people do it. You need the fan for stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My 750 has been running pretty hot lately. I frequently get the fan turning on whenever Im at lights, and when riding the bike still runs mid 190's to 200 degrees. My Kawasaki 636 rund very cool. Even when racing it never exceeded 185 degrees.

Im going to adda bit of water wetter to the system and see if it does anything.

You can run the WW with straight distilled water, or just add some into the 50/50 mix. It works either way. No need to flush the coolant.

·
Mama Bear
17,836 Posts
Ok I'm resurrecting this to see what everybody though. I bought a bottle today (actually, 2, one for my crap Mustang and one for the bike). I saw that NESBA approves of Water Wetter use for the track.

Should I flush the system and just run water/WW until it starts to cool off again (like november) and then switch back to antifreeze or just add some water wetter to the current mix?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
i personally ran one bottl of water wetter and the rest bottled water. seems to have taken my temp down about 5-10degrees on average. i road with a couple other new model gixxers yesterday and they seemed to be 5-10 degrees hotter then my bike. i drained all the coolant...but didnt flush it with fresh water so im sure there is still a tad left in the bike but for the most part i ran one full bottle of water wetter and toped it off with bottled water. ran it, let the air out, refilled..did this a couple times and she seems golden now. weather doesnt freeze here in my part of cali so i dont have to worry much about the freezing

·
Mama Bear
17,836 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I've never done any cooling system work, how hard is it to flush/change the system?

I am constantly in traffic so that 5-10 degrees would really make a difference for me.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm running water wetter in my 05 750. To actually flush the old coolant out, drain from the water pump (left side) of the bike. Get a gallon jug and fill with regular water to flush out the coolant, youll have to do this a couple times to get it all out. Keep draining from the water pump side. You can mix the water wetter with distilled water. I think 4 capfulls to a gallon is the right mixture. Make sure to run the bike with the radiator cap off to get all the air out. Fill resivour as needed.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
i think its 4 caps to a quart isnt it? whatever the case just toss a bottle of it int he radiator
it says use the whole bottle to treat 12-20quarts. i tossed 3/4 of the bottle in and filled the rest with water.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
yeah its a quick 30 min job

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
Easy swap to water wetter...just did it this past weekend.
in St. Louis? you better remember to change it back to anti freeze when you put it away for the winter......or you wont like it when your bike comes out of hibernation in the spring time

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Easy swap to water wetter...just did it this past weekend.
in St. Louis? you better remember to change it back to anti freeze when you put it away for the winter......or you wont like it when your bike comes out of hibernation in the spring time
Trust me I know. Had to change it for the trackday (actually didn't have to but it was highly encouraged).

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You can use more water wetter than recommended without problems. It's main purpose it to lubricate the water pump from what I've been told. Distilled water alone won't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you just run the motor with the water pump removed and a garden hose dumping water into the radiator for a minute to flush the engine. Will you do any damage?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts