Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting one, but I'm not sure which color (red or blue) readout would be easier to read when the suns directly overhead. Any ideas????

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I didn't post in the Mod/How To section is I could care less how the thing works when riding on the street, just track day use. On higher speed shit (especially at TX World) I'm in 5th or 6th at the end of the front straight and need to be 4th for turn 1--Last year I went into turn one in 3rd gear with the engine screaming and scared the piss outta myself.

So this is the proper place to post the particular question..........

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts
no you do not need it on the track,. if you do ., you should not be on the track,., and should always know what gear you are in on the track at any given time.,

this would be a crutch and means you are riding above your head on the track if you do not know what gear you are in ?!!!!!!

2 pennies..

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
no you do not need it on the track,. if you do ., you should not be on the track,., and should always know what gear you are in on the track at any given time.,

this would be a crutch and means you are riding above your head on the track if you do not know what gear you are in ?!!!!!!

2 pennies..
I agree with Dave . . . as you are screaming into a corner full on the brakes in traffic on the track, you don't need to be focusing on a guage indicator somewhere down by the speedo worrying about what gear you might or might not be in, there are a few other more important things to be concerned with.

As for always knowing what gear you're in . . . hell, I never know what gear I'm in . . . I know I do two down into T1, one down into T3, one up out of T3-4, one up out of T10, bla, bla, bla. I couldn't tell you what gear any of those corners are unless I sat down and really thought about it. Its just a matter of memorizing the shift pattern for what works in a particular corner and stringing them all together of a for a particular track. Jotting down your shift patterns on a copy of the track map for a particular track is helpful so when you head back to that track you start where you left off.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I can't count the gears for shit. Our track has some really tight corners at the ends of the straights and I lose track every now and then. I'd love to try out a gear indicator. It's not the solution for everyone but it can be a solution for some.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Well put Gecko. I have a routine where I know where I shift up and down and a rough idea of how many but not much of an idea of what gear unless I start counting back from 6th or up from first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll just answer the question versus continuing the debate about whether its needed for the track or not. I have the red LED gear indicator and love it for both the street and track. I have not had issues with visibility for it on my 02 R6 and just ordered anotherred one for my recently purchased 04 GSX-R750. I don't spend much time looking at it, but it is reassuring to "confirm" what gear you are in as you are scrubbing off speed before turning into a tight turn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts