Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Anyone swipe out headlamp with a 100w one???

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  04 Gixxer 
#1 ·
Did a search and couldn't come up with much info.

Stock is 55/60w for low and high beams. I was wondering if anyone has swiped this out with a higher wattage bulb and if you've noticed any problems with this. I've heard random stories about a high watt buld causing issues. Any info?

Thanks.

#2 ·
umm i heard that too with most bikes ....draning out battery as design and afecting other components that will require normal power usage might affect it with higher volatage bulb ...anyway what do i know . or with the R6 it burn part of the housing and problems with burning wiring beeing too hot...

#5 ·
Could be, never exceed the stock rating on the lamps. I really doubt you could put a 100w lamp if it came with a 50-60 watt lamp.

Well, they sell them for the application, so you definately can do, the question is should you?

#6 ·
I made the change with the low beam bulb already and I hope that is doesn't hurt anything but the light that is in there from Suzuki is just not bright enough. I like just a bit brighter light for the night riding and the daytime riding so that people really see me. I know that people will still run you over if you have the sun sitting on the front of you bike but I try to do the most that I can for visibility

This is what I put in and I like it thus far and no problems. Next is the high beam.

PIAA SUPER PLASMA GT-X 6000K
http://www.autothing.com/Products/PIAABulbs/products-bulbs-PIAA-intro.htm

A newer addition to PIAA’s stable of high performance bulbs is the Super Plasma GT-X. The GT-X provides an exclusive violet-toned low beam and an Xtreme White high beam. These bulbs also produce some multifaceted color effects (viewable from a distance) due to the metallic coating on some bulbs.

PIAA H7 Plasma GT-X

PIAA Bulbs H7 >> 55W=110W

$109.95

#7 ·
I upgared my piaa on my old bike(03honda919) to 85watt 10k bulbs. I never had a problem.
There is upgradeable sockets for higher output bulbs. My opion is to spen the extra dollars on a high qulity bulb like PIAA. My 85watt PIAA was as bright or brighter then a cheapy 100 watt..

Just my two cents..

#8 ·
I put the Xenon 100/110 watts bulb in my 01. It lights stuff up like crazy...I lost my low beams after a while, but it was because of a corroded contact that alot of people are having problems with. Other then that it has been awesome.....

#9 ·
put a set of PIAA's newest most expensive 110w bulbs in my K5, i'd say they are 75% dimmer than stock, i'm not joking when i say the turn signals out shine them... same thing when i got PIAA's in my car, last dollar i ever spend with that company

#10 ·
put a set of PIAA's newest most expensive 110w bulbs in my K5, i'd say they are 75% dimmer than stock, i'm not joking when i say the turn signals out shine them... same thing when i got PIAA's in my car, last dollar i ever spend with that company

That's definately a bit disconcerting

#13 ·
I put a 100/90 in the narrow beam (H4?) and a 55/60 "Megalight" (claimed 60% brighter) in the high/low wide beam (H7?) of my K3.

A fuse blew in the narrow beam (100/90) after several months, but no other probs. Neither globe made much difference to vision. They are much brighter up close but make very little difference at a distance.

The newer (dont know about older) Gixxers seem to have poor reflector design, as different globes seem to make little improvement to vision.

#14 ·
Del La Sol said:
hmmm my PIAA's came out very nice.. Maybe you got a bad set. :confused

piaa running lights and low beam on left.. piaa running light on lf vs. stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.