Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a bit cheeky since I only own the front 1/4 of a GSXR
But I just finished putting a front end constructed out of K2 and SRAD 750 parts on my '00 SV650S, and I'm a little short of cable clearance under the clipons. I'm also finding it puts a wee bit more weight on my wrists, which isn't so good for a big girly-man like me.

So I just wondered if there's a good solution that'll give me taller clipons, slightly wider if possible... I thought I'd hit on a winner with CBR900 clipons but they're 45mm. I'm aware of the riser kits that cut your stock bars and bolts the tubes on in a new bracket but I don't fancy that much...

Thanks for any advice you have

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/northwind-frombehind.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TL1000S bars are the solution... Give about an inch of rise over stock bars and fit perfectly. Bit cheaper than the alternatives...

·
Registered
157 Posts
DO The TLS bars line up underneath where the "alignment" bolt under the tripple tree goes?
If it sits the bars back I think I might want to give them a shot

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost certainly not to be honest. I'd just say don't worry about it. Almost all aftermarket clipons lack the positioning bolt as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not actually got it done yet, I got a friend with a TL to compare sizes and shapes... I'll post back here when I manage to find the parts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got it done... No pics- well, they just look like clipons
But basically they;re about an inch and a half higher than stock GSXR bars. They bolt to the top yoke the same as stock as well, and also retain the mounting bolt for the brake reservoir as well as being the same length. They're solid though, so just a little heavier- but this means the bar ends screw in instead of having the wee expanding rubber things. Good if you use protector bar ends, since they tend to just pull out with the stock rubbers.

The only thing that I'm not so sure about, is that they're angled a little more than the GSXR bars- few degrees more from vertical. Whether I'll even notice that on the road remains to be seen, not riding just now, but I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally roadtested this after a month off the bike, and they work a charm. I'd expected the raise in height to make it slightly less settled in corners but it doesn't seem to have caused any problems. Well pleased...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is, aye. I think TLR would be the same but can't promise it. Oh yeah, one thing I noticed today was that there's practically no clearance between the reservoir and screen now- so I'd check yours to see how much space you have there, you'll either need 15mm or so space at the top, or you'll need to relocate the reservoir a bit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't get photos that actually show anything useful
I don't have "before" so they just look like clipons. Sorry folks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts