Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
13,783 Posts
I have a soft spot for Apes ... I had and loved an RSV a few years ago.
Not sure I’d get another that old tho ... maybe a RSV4 next time.

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I just sold my '17 Tuono Factory. Yes great bike as long as you keep up with services and valve adjustment, and keep the ECU updated.
I see yours is yet to get the race map and still has the old dash firmware.
The QS timings have also been changed in the new map which make it feel even nicer and new fuel mapping feels great.
Well, there is the sport / track / race maps, along with the TC, wheelie control, ABS, launch control etc... but all that is hidden under the 'urgent service required' red square at the moment I took that pic. When that red square goes-out, all that other crap appears underneath.

I just got back from the dealer who told me it's probably just that I'm approaching the 2nd service check @ 10K kms (I'm at 9300). Luckily, they only need valves adjusted every 20K kms so that's not too bad. It turns-out there's recall in need to get done (front pads) anyway so I think I'll just go for a couple of big rides to bring it up to 10K kms, bring it in for the check-up / recall and be done with it.

I have a soft spot for Apes ... I had and loved an RSV a few years ago.
Not sure I’d get another that old tho ... maybe a RSV4 next time.
I'm living 'the Italian experience' for the first time now. Between the SUMO, which is waiting on back-ordered parts for 2 open recalls and the oil filters for the Tuono which have been on backorder since I bought it, it's uhhhh..... it's 'different' from owning a jap bike lol. It seems that their scam is to sell bikes that you can never get parts for so you'll just have to buy new ones every few months. I'm up to two now :)

So far though, I'm loving everything about the Tuono, except the dashboard bullshit. And I'll let the TC take all the fun out of it or I'd already have chewed-up a rear after not even 3000 kms in the saddle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tracked and raced a 2012 RSV4 for about 4 years. I had a great experience with it until the voltage regulator went bad and fried a bunch of stuff. Not sure if that is still an issue with newer models. My best advice is to check out apriliaforum.com. Tons of knowledgeable people on there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, there is the sport / track / race maps, along with the TC, wheelie control, ABS, launch control etc... but all that is hidden under the 'urgent service required' red square at the moment I took that pic. When that red square goes-out, all that other crap appears underneath.
le skid, mate I'm not being a smart arse here, I'm just trying to help you out.

The different maps "modes" available to you are race/track/sport and yes it's under the urgent service display currently on your screen.
The race mapping is done when you install either a slip-on or full system and the dash display is as below.
Number 1 shows whether you have race mapping installed. aRacing is displayed of it has been installed into your ecu.
Number 2 shows the dash update. If you have V4 you have the old dash software. If you have the link bubble you have the latest version.
Yours;

What it should be;

Just trying to help. I do the software myself.
Cheers.

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Heheh, you're not a smart-ass, you're smarter than I am. I bought the Tuono a month ago so I'm a complete noob. The Aprilia forum told me to buy a lonelec cable from London, which showed-up last week. I still haven't had a chance to read-up on the steps to setup guzzidiag and the lonelec cable on the bike / laptop to pull the code or whatever it's called in the Aprilia world.

If you're telling me there's an updated map, firmware or whatever it's called, then great! But if I'm just going to bring it to the Ape store for the upcoming inspection, may as well let them bring everything up to date?

I read about people buying ECUs flashed with race maps. I want the most street-conservative midrange grunty / rich map with the stock can and the flappy valve. That combo of exhaust sound / induction howl above 5-6K rpm is friggen beautiful as-is today, even down under 10K. I wouldn't mind the Akra slip-on though.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'd love it if you don't mind chiming-in as I try to figure things out over here.

Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No worries, that's cool.
Yes definitely ask them to bring it up to date. The race map they may not do but great you're getting the Lonelec cables. The latest for your bike that brings it back up to full power is 7614LD20. There's a thread on that forum now with the correct map for your bike to so grab that and hang on to it till you're ready.

The RACE ECU is the exact same ECU you have except with the race map already loaded. It was only when GuzziDiag came out they were able to turn a stock ECU into the race version.

The dash update is done with PADS so cannot be updated using your software/cables. It actually connects to a different port for the dash itself. The dealer can do this one ok and it's a freebie. There's been 2 updates with the latest giving a more stable connection between bluetooth devices (if you have the V4-MP unit installed)
Hope that helps mate.
Cheers.

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey FastR1Red

I took it to the Ape dealer this morning to pull the code and do the 10K km inspection. He already called me to say my bike is ready and that there was no code, the battery connection was loose, which was causing the weird behavior.

He also told me there is no update available for my serial number.... and you seemed pretty credible above. You sure there's supposed to be an update for my 2018 factory?

·
Registered
15 Posts
He also told me there is no update available for my serial number.... and you seemed pretty credible above. You sure there's supposed to be an update for my 2018 factory?
From a dealer;

Firmware 105

This update improves the following functions and features:
  • key recognition.
  • connection between phone and AMP.
The aforementioned operation is considered part of the normal scheduled maintenance required for the vehicle, and must be performed at the same time as other scheduled maintenance operations either during the pre-delivery procedure, for new vehicles, or at the first available opportunity when the vehicle is brought to the service center, in the case of vehicles that have already been sold and are in use.

le skid do you have the V4-MP module fitted?
If not you won't "see" any difference if you have firmware 103 or 105 installed. I'm just extremely pedantic when it comes to manufacturers applying fixes to things we've already paid for.
You can leave it as is, there's tiny change to functionality (lighting sequences and the key recognition etc) The updates were (mainly) to implement a new bluetooth algorithm for a more stable connection (the new BT chips have different standby power management) and some internal dash behaviors that presented on a very small amount units.

If they've not updated PADS they won't see the dash update. Updating PADS (which they should do regularly) does take a couple of hours as it's downloaded direct from Piaggio. I actually did it myself for the dealer here in Australia.
What will catch them out almost every time is as you scroll through the dash options it looks like you may have gone to the last option, in fact if your arrow down you will see the dash update highlighted. Stupid resolution settings show this with a white background so it's impossible to see. Just arrow down one more and the dash update will be there provided they've updated PADS (within the last 12 months)
Pads has to be plugged into the harness on the left side of the subframe for the dash update, not the ecu.

Hook up to charger after removing seats and left under seat panel. Then connect special PADS cable to either dash or dash and AMP module, proceed with dash update, then AMP update (if you have V4-MP module fitted), then swap cables and connect to main Ecu, update if needed after clearing codes, finish with throttle and handle self-learning.

Cheers.

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I picked-up the bike, rode it for around 100 kms and no more lights or issues. I had underestimated the odometer, which was actually just under the 10K kms mark so the 'service required' was correct / coincidence, piling-on to all the other lights and bullshit, which in the end, appears to have been due to a loose battery connection that my dealer reported.

No charge either so at least I know my local Ape dealer is cool. They could have told me whatever they wanted and taken me to the cleaners. Excel Moto FTW!

As for the firmware version, I don't care. I will never load a race map and the bluetooth crap, I couldn't poossibly care less about.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts