Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to go on a road trip tomorrow to pick up a bike but I don't know anyone who has lived with an Aprilia V4 so hopefully, some of you can offer your insights and opinions. It's not too late to back out, although it would take some bad stories at this point.

A week or so ago, I spent the day on a KTM RC8 and that one day was enough to convince me that I had to have one. What a bike - motor, chassis, suspension, handling characteristics etc... mostly everything about it blew me away. I had noticed that I felt stretched forward more than I'm used to. My wrists were a little sore after almost 500kms in a day.

WHAT a bike.

So fast forward a week of bike shopping and after looking at the RSV4 to compare to the KTM, I noticed the Tuono, which is basically an RSV4 with handlebars. It's a 'super-naked'. The reviews and ride reports are all stellar. It's fast, handles well and they come very well equipped, if you buy the 'Factory' edition. And everyone raves about the SOUND of that V4, even with the stock exhaust.

Here's a pic from the classified ad of my new-to-me 2018 Tuono Factory. I'm a total weenie about OEM bikes so luckily, the guy kept all the OEM parts.

The guy just changed it's first rear and the front is still original, which suggests it hasn't been thrashed too much yet.

It's a 404 pound 1100CC V4 with 175 hp. It's a neutered RSV4, which they made gruntier to be used more in the midrange, which suits my riding style fine.

2017-2018 highlights for the 'Factory'
  • Ohlins front & rear
  • Ohlins steering dampener
  • Brembo M50s
  • ABS
  • Cornering ABS
  • TC
  • Wheelie control
  • Launch control
  • It even has cruise control lol
  • And an auto-blipping quickshifter
2019-2020 Same as above, with the EC2 electronically controlled Ohlins, like on the Panigale V4S and the R1M. With my riding style, even on the track, I'm pretty sure I'll be OK with the 'normal' Ohlins on this 2018.

Anyway, if anyone out there wants to share their Aprilia V4 opinions from the maintenance and ease-of-living-with perspective, I'd certainly love to hear 'em.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I'm about to go on a road trip tomorrow to pick up a bike but I don't know anyone who has lived with an Aprilia V4 so hopefully, some of you can offer your insights and opinions. It's not too late to back out, although it would take some bad stories at this point.

A week or so ago, I spent the day on a KTM RC8 and that one day was enough to convince me that I had to have one. What a bike - motor, chassis, suspension, handling characteristics etc... mostly everything about it blew me away. I had noticed that I felt stretched forward more than I'm used to. My wrists were a little sore after almost 500kms in a day.

WHAT a bike.
View attachment 573189

So fast forward a week of bike shopping and after looking at the RSV4 to compare to the KTM, I noticed the Tuono, which is basically an RSV4 with handlebars. It's a 'super-naked'. The reviews and ride reports are all stellar. It's fast, handles well and they come very well equipped, if you buy the 'Factory' edition.

Here's a pic from the classified ad of my new-to-me 2018 Tuono Factory. I'm a total weenie about OEM bikes so luckily, the guy kept all the OEM parts.

View attachment 573191

The guy just changed it's first rear and the front is still original, which suggests it hasn't been thrashed too much yet.

It's a 404 pound 1100CC V4 with 175 hp. It's a neutered RSV4, which they made gruntier to be used more in the midrange, which suits my riding style fine.

2017-2018 highlights for the 'Factory'
  • Ohlins front & rear
  • Brembo M50s
  • ABS
  • Cornering ABS
  • TC
  • Wheelie control
  • Launch control
  • It even has cruise control lol
  • And an auto-blipping quickshifter
2019-2020 Same as above, with the EC2 electronically controlled Ohlins, like on the Panigale V4S and the R1M. With my riding style, even on the track, I'm pretty sure I'll be OK with the 'normal' Ohlins on this 2018.

Anyway, if anyone out there wants to share their Aprilia V4 opinions from the maintenance and ease-of-living-with perspective, I'd certainly love to hear 'em.
Wow..congrats to you that things absolutely gorgeous! I have one friend who has the same bike and a SuperDuke and he prefers the Tuono...says it’s easier to ride fast.

I’m looking to add a naked to my stable soon...I been looking at the 890 DukeR but now you are making me want one of those!

·
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow..congrats to you that things absolutely gorgeous! I have one friend who has the same bike and a SuperDuke and he prefers the Tuono...says it’s easier to ride fast.

I’m looking to add a naked to my stable soon...I been looking at the 890 DukeR but now you are making me want one of those!
Given my love of that RC8's amazing big twin, I was seriously looking at the Superduke but I just love the 'lazy' approach Aprilia took to making their supernaked offering - just stick a handlebar on their superbike! It does go beyond that but that is the jist of it.

The list of goodies above is a copy / paste of the goodies on the RSV4 Factory.

·
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had intended to pick it up today but the seller preferred cash so I have to wait til tomorrow when the bank is open.

The guy was nice enough to put the big, stock, dorky can back on for me. He's out in the Styx so he ran an Arrow. I live in suburbia and don't want the town I live in to hate me. And he was also nice enough to send me a couple of pics afterward.

I wouldn't mind an Akra slip-on but per all the reviews, the big, dorky stock can has something akin to a SET valve that actuates @ 5K and apparently, it sounds pretty badass as the revs climb. TBD. I've still never ridden one of these. Looking forward to tomorrow.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Don't know about reliability but Great choice Skid !

Definitely return and give us a ride review.

·
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leaving now..... gotta pick up a rental van, hit the bank for a withdrawal and hopefully in around 6-7 hours, I'll be loading up my second Italian bike.

Road trip!

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,999 Posts
Only negative is parts availability can be an issue sometimes. That and it eats rear tires if you're greedy with the throttle.

·
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only negative is parts availability can be an issue sometimes. That and it eats rear tires if you're greedy with the throttle.
There are two big Ape shops here in MTL and even for my SXV 550 which is an actual race engine, they said sometimes they have to wait a few weeks for some items but they keep a big inventory of parts - time will tell.

I'm home after one boring-ass day of ~700 miles in a van. I only took it out for a little spin but wow, it sure sounds amazing. T'was worth a big, boring day on the highway.

Looking forward to actually trying this thing after it's been gone-over A-Z.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Congrats, I've owned an Aprilia before, although I wouldn't compare it to what you've bought, I do like Aprilia's, I definitely have a soft spot for them and I'm sure you will soon.

I've only heard good things about them, keep us posted.

·
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked-up a fresh battery at the dealer this morning. While I was there, I asked for a season's worth of oil & filters. Filters are backordered but coming soon!

And so it begins lol.

·
----------------
1,768 Posts
There are two big Ape shops here in MTL and even for my SXV 550 which is an actual race engine, they said sometimes they have to wait a few weeks for some items but they keep a big inventory of parts - time will tell.

I'm home after one boring-ass day of ~700 miles in a van. I only took it out for a little spin but wow, it sure sounds amazing. T'was worth a big, boring day on the highway.

Looking forward to actually trying this thing after it's been gone-over A-Z.
View attachment 573236
Awesome, congrats! Love the sound of that V4

Do you still have the gixxer?

·
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, congrats! Love the sound of that V4
Thanks - today is the first time I've ever been on one so I was tooling around, taking some turns and such. The sound is Jeckyl & Hyde. It sounds and feels like a big lazy twin while cruising the lakeshore but when I finally hit the highway and opened it up a bit, it has the equivalent of a SET valve that opens-up at 5K. Holy shit it goes from sounding like a Burgman 650 to a howling, angry monster... but the absolute BEST is all the farting and popping that follows. I was literally laughing out loud in my helmet!

Do you still have the gixxer?
Nope. It seems I've gone off the reservation. I just have an Italian V twin sumo and an Italian V4 flatulent super-nekkid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No experience with Aprilia ownership, but what a beautiful bike! Congrats

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
About 'living with' an Aprilia V4', the maintenance schedule calls for the first time and subsequent valve adjustments........ drum roll please...... every 20K kms so that's good news!

Some thoughts after a few days.

The reviews all say the same thing and it's easy to see why. As @Whippet's friend so aptly put it, it's EASY to ride fast. The motor make so much torque down low that a pull from even 5000 rpm is very rewarding both to your ears and your butt dyno. Anyway, I won't waste your time repeating what everyone else has already said ad-nauseum. It's a total blast and the sound is the BEST!

I did take a stab at going through the generous electronics package that comes with, as all of that shit is new to me.

Just some highlights - There's a lot going on here for a 100% bone-stock front end.

• The Tuono Factory has forged rims, which the RR does not
  • Rotors are 330 mm, not 320
  • Those are Brembo E50 monoblocks which are apparently good
  • They come stock with Pirelli Supercorsa SP
  • And of course, the 43mm Ohlins front shocks, personalized with the Aprilia V4 logo
Brembo radial master cylinder comes stock

And I'm seeing the Brembo logo on the rear master cylinder too.

I didn't know it had an Ohlins dampener after until peeking down in there, of course it does. I also didn't know until I looked at this pic that there's apparently a carbon fiber fender? I'll take it.

Of course, an Ohlins rear shock

They wasted no real estate for cooling. I got stuck in a log-jam of traffic and after 10 minutes of plodding along at less than walking speed, the temp hit 108C but it drops immediately as soon as you're rolling again. I was quite pleased to see it hasn't been beat-up by gravel too much. Just bug splats so far.

Baby's got back. I tried using my rear stand as it was set up for my K6 1K but it would not fit. I had to widen it to max width to be able to grab the spools. The Tuono Factory comes with a 200 in the back.

I'm talking out my ass but it's logically the same beefy swingarm as on the RSV4 Factory.

EDIT: The rear tire had been changed but that chain has never been cleaned so.....

I just love everything about this bike so far - it's all kinds of fun!

·
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Short version: It's pretty-much everything I worked myself up to expecting. It's a great bike all around but even with all the goodies on the Factory version, which make the whole ride feel super-refined, the hands-down best part of the bike is still the motor / sound. Once north of 5K, it becomes exponentially more interesting each 1000 rpm the tach climbs. I'll admit the shift lights hardly ever light-up. Even at 10K the power is where it's easiest to tap.

With a dainty 174 hp compared to the 217 on the RSV4 (both make 90 lbs of torque), I'm regularly reminded of something @TheGeek mentioned earlier:

TC has settings from 0-8 and I hate feeling it come on (same as wheelie control).... but even set at 4, I still feel it kicking it all the time, even though I'm just goofing around in the midrange. So @TheGeek is right. I'd be chewing through that tire in short order if left to my own devices. It came with a brand new Diablo SC SP.... maybe a dual compound would be better on the street.

Anyway, fun bike.... when it works. It's Italian.

The display lit-up like a xmas tree a couple of times. This happened when I was waaaaaaaay up north so I shit my pants. Like an Italian lady, you just need to give her some space for a little while to let her calm down and she'll get you home lol.

I ordered some 'lonelec' cable from London to pull the code with some 'guzzidiag' software on my laptop. Cable showed-up yesterday but I'm prepping for an Island camping boat trip this weekend so I'll figure out how to pull that code next week.

M'eh, if some stupid sensor issue to resolve is my biggest gripe, I think I'm in love. Great bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just sold my '17 Tuono Factory. Yes great bike as long as you keep up with services and valve adjustment, and keep the ECU updated.
I see yours is yet to get the race map and still has the old dash firmware.
The QS timings have also been changed in the new map which make it feel even nicer and new fuel mapping feels great.

·
Registered
03 Gsxr1000
136 Posts
Nice bike!
i rode a friends for a bit and loved how it steered vrs my 1098s street fighter. Hopefully it’s not like other Italian stuff and doesn’t give you a head ache and a lighter wallet

1 - 20 of 29 Posts