Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know how difficult it would be to cut the fairing since the two fairing seems to meet where the hole would be. Pictures would help to.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
wats yr model? i see if i got pic of my customer bike with e slider on:)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, Its a 06 750. I figure since this is the 06 600/750 section I didn't need to put down the year and model. If you can get pictures or ask him how it was to cut the fairings that would be great.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
junglicious said:
I'm sorry, Its a 06 750. I figure since this is the 06 600/750 section I didn't need to put down the year and model. If you can get pictures or ask him how it was to cut the fairings that would be great.
you need only drill one side of your faring. no other modification. in fact i jus did one for my customer few days back. a hand drill wil do the job, start with asmall hole from the bolting area. use the screw as a guide line

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zord said:
you need only drill one side of your faring. no other modification. in fact i jus did one for my customer few days back. a hand drill wil do the job, start with asmall hole from the bolting area. use the screw as a guide line

Yes, my question was the side you drill (left side) do you drill/cut throught both fairings or just one, cuz it seems like where you need to drill/cut is where the two side fairings meet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not to repost this over and over, but there seem to be new folks on here all the time. Here is a step by step install directions for 'cut' sliders.

Here is what you buy:

1) One inch hole saw drill bit from Home Depot $6.50
2) Dremel sanding tool bit from Home Depot $4.00
3) A can of Play Dough - Toys R Us or somewhere cheaper
4) Rent a torque wrench from Auto Zone for free (or buy one from Sears like I ended up doing for $25)

Here is how you do it step by step....

A) Remove the left side fairing and note the general area where the engine bolt is in relation to the left fairing.
B) Loosen the engine mount bolt, but leave it in.
C) Apply a gob of "Play Dough" to the inside of the fairing where it touches the bolt.
D) Reinstall fairing temporarily.
E) Remove the fairing again. - You will notice a nice indentation in the play dough of where the bolt was. Drill a small pilot hole from the inside of the fairing dead center of where the bolt mark was in the play dough.
F) Masking tape up the outside of the fairing where the pilot hole was
G) Using the hole saw bit, drill from the OUTER side of the fairing using the pilot hole as a guide.
H) Reinstall the fairing completely this time.
I) Using the dremel tool make the hole bigger until the frame slider fits through the hole and up directly against the motor mount.
J) Apply a light coating of anti-seize to each bolt before installing each bolt by HAND to prevent cross threading, and torque to 39 lbs.
K) Relax and enjoy your handywork...you're done.

·
Registered
691 Posts
socalcoyote said:
J) Apply a light coating of anti-seize to each bolt before installl each bolt by HAND to prevent cross threading, and torque to 39 lbs.
Anti-sieze doesn't prevent cross threading. It's a thread lubricant. It also affects the torque you apply.

Great instructions otherwise. I just don't want someone to cross thread the bolt and come in here and say "I used anti-sieze like the coyote said and I still cross threaded the bolt. WTF?!?!" :cheers

·
Registered
169 Posts
greygti said:
Anti-sieze doesn't prevent cross threading. It's a thread lubricant. It also affects the torque you apply.

Great instructions otherwise. I just don't want someone to cross thread the bolt and come in here and say "I used anti-sieze like the coyote said and I still cross threaded the bolt. WTF?!?!" :cheers
I never said anti-seize prevents cross threading. Rather I specifcally said (in caps) to install each bolt by HAND to prevent cross threading. The anti-seize is not for cross threading, installing by HAND is....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info. I did the search and blah blah blah, trust me this isn't the first forum I been on and isn't the first time I put on cut sliders... My main question was do you cut through both of the two piece fairing and if so how difficult is it or how would you do it because I wanted to make sure i wouldn't be missing something or mess it up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
junglicious said:
thanks for the info. I did the search and blah blah blah, trust me this isn't the first forum I been on and isn't the first time I put on cut sliders... My main question was do you cut through both of the two piece fairing and if so how difficult is it or how would you do it because I wanted to make sure i wouldn't be missing something or mess it up.
No biggie, as each bike is different when it comes to frame slider installation. You do cut through both, but not all the way if that makes any sense. If you follow my directions (using the exact size hole saw and finish it off with a dremel tool) there will not be an issue with the fairing pieces. Personally I think Suzuki should have thought about frame sliders when designing the new model. But apparently their R&D money went elsewhere....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far, I like the carftsmanship of my 05 r6 than the 06 750 imo and this has nothing to do with the cut slider location. Thanks again for the info i'll give it a go.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used some gum. Put gum where the bolt was and gently seated the fairing. Removed the fairing and where the gum was drilled a very small pilot hole. Reattached the fairing to see if the pilot was centered over the bolt. It was. Then drilled the hole in the fairing. Use some duct tape and place it over the fairing before you drill. this will give the drill bit something to grab on to start. Nerve racking, but very worth it when done. I don't have any pics..sorry and good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
socalcoyote,
thanks for the how to. I just got my 06 and am intending to purchase a woodcraft set of sliders. I haven't much experience in pulling the front bodywork on and off, so am not sure how much play there is. My question is - will the left side bodywork come off easily with the frame slider installed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.