Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Natorious of gsxr's with stator/rectifier goin out. Change one, change the other of course.
My delima is my harness for the rectifier is burnt!!!! Has this ever happened to anyone? I cant find a harness anywhere. I have the 07 GSXR6 and he has always ran hot, causing me to put a new stator/rectifier on every year. I run ICE, and have put in new thermostat, but he still runs hot to the point he shuts off (a good thing).
Any thoughts??
Thanks
Five-0
20200408_024836.jpg
20200408_023930.jpg

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Hi. Search this site. I thought this topic has been beaten to absolute death. You need to get quality parts. And you are gonna pay for them. I went with oem replacements. Costed at least 500 bucks, I don’t remember the exact amount. I got mine from motosport.com and they sent me the updated parts so the reg/rec was actually a mosfet and i changed the stator as well. Never had a problem since. Some here have been using some quality aftermarket parts that may be a little cheaper priced but still pricey! A search will bring up some info on that. You may want to solder the connection. Stay away from the 30 dollar ebay reg stator sets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the respons 2017 Dave. I have read some of the posts, but nothing referenced to the burnt wiring like this or where i can find a harness, kind of hard for an 07.
And guess i should have said I do use OEM. I do work on my bike myself, and do research.

·
Registered
03 Gsxr1000
104 Posts
when my 03 did that I stripped the wires of all the burnt stuff. Cut them back until copper was clean. Then hard wired all of them and soldered everything . Make sure you have the shrink wrap already on all the wires. Works perfectly .

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Glad to hear that you do all the work yourself. I may have misread your first post. I thought you were going to replace the regulator and stator again, now I see you are just trying to fix the harness. Is it possible for a loose harness connection to cause the reg/rec to go bad??? Nice color on the bike.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Let me get this straight.

You bike runs 'hot' so you changed the coolant too, and somehow you think this is why the connection to the stator/rectifier/regulator burnt?
It often is due to a weak/bad ground wire, sometimes.

And, please tell me you don't ride dressed like that? Eeuuwww

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am replacing them both, but never had the wires burnt. He just runs hot so thats why it burnt it up. None of the connections were loose, so baffaled on it burnin the way it did. I am gonna have to add another fan or something.
And ty, its a custon saphire with mother of pearl

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I service my bike all the time keepin it ready. So yes i am saying that since there r no loose connections or frayed wires groundin out. The heat could most deff cause this. It gets to 240- 260 WAYYYY to hot, and he has just shut down.
I was askin if this has happened to anyone else and for an 07, hard to find parts. So was askin.
And fyi, yes i ride in shorts and tank, tennis shoes n my vest. To damn hot out, plus with a hot runnin bike, gotta keep cool

·
Registered
164 Posts
The wires burning up had NOTHING to do with what temperature 'he' runs at. LOL

People that dress that way when riding are put into a category.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Thats a squid. You should know, this is a common problem for that connector. The solution is to solder it. The connection points inside are not tight enough. That is what causes the excessive heat. A good fix is to dolder it. . The temp of the bike is a separate issue. Check that the radiator is clean and that the fans are turning on and check the coolant pump too. Make sure it is working properly.

·
Registered
03 Gsxr1000
104 Posts
I agree with Jimmyboy. Solder the wires together this time. The harness melting is due to a poor connection in the harness.
Dave is correct the connectors are a problem and after a while resistance becomes so high that the heat melts everything .

1 - 20 of 57 Posts