Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
looking for any idea how to refinish this exhaust instead of buying a new one.. i was thinking about a light sand
and a clear coat?? Think they use an epoxy resin to protect the carbon but im not sure , any suggestions... Tried to upload some photos but they are too big , it kind of looks like clear coat bubbling .

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
If there is yellowing of the fibres, you're not gonna be able to get rid of that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've repacked a dual outlet, pulled it apart, cleaned it the best I could and then repacked with the fibre stuffing...

As far as the carbon fibre itself I didn't have to much of an issue with. You could purchase I genuine bit itself and transfer it, I know they do self them, you should contact your yoshi dealer. Alternatively you could purchase a copy, there are a number of places that do them.... I'd personally rather the genuine faded one... Just an FYI.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
I've never seen one that bad. My R77 is yellowing slightly but it's nothing like yours. I think it's actually the epoxy that yellows from exposure to heat. AFAIK the carbon fibers are close to the surface. Some very light sanding could be used to prep for a high temperature clear. Anything more will get into the fibers. But that won't solve your problem. Frankly yours looks like brake fluid, paint stripper, or something else was spilled onto it while it was hot. Suggest that you either paint it black or buy a new shell from Yoshimura.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
That exhaust kinda looks like it has seen some nasty solvents in its life. Do you know the history?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had the yosh since day one , never had any chemical on it other than honda (spray clean and polish and soap and water). The pipe has about 34k miles on it , the blemish started a few years ago (small patch) then progressed larger over time . Last year i repacked it but , it was messed up before that just not as bad. Whats weird is that the other side of the pipe looks ok..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've never seen one that bad. My R77 is yellowing slightly but it's nothing like yours. I think it's actually the epoxy that yellows from exposure to heat. AFAIK the carbon fibers are close to the surface. Some very light sanding could be used to prep for a high temperature clear. Anything more will get into the fibers. But that won't solve your problem. Frankly yours looks like brake fluid, paint stripper, or something else was spilled onto it while it was hot. Suggest that you either paint it black or buy a new shell from Yoshimura.

Ive contacted yosh on a $ for the sleeve and cap but its cheaper to buy the whole muffler , the sleeve was around 170 and end cap 70. the whole complete mufff was around $350. Being the bikes age and mileage i dont want to spend too much $$$$... i just recently painted the engine cover because they were chipping paint all over, now the muffler is standing out to me.. Hoping there was a fix to match the freshly painted side covers

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
Maybe your wife/gf spilled something on it and won't admit it. I've never seen anything like that.

You might be able to take it apart and swap the shell end-for-end so as to put the stain on the inside. Ebay prices for used TRC's with damage are too expensive to think of in terms of a source for parts. Paint it black.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
Carbon fiber is epoxy resin over the carbon fiber sheet themselves. You can get sand paper and sand off the epoxy, then apply new epoxy over it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Just_Nick
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing