Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The age old question remains. Has anyone successfully done an SRAD fork swap to an oil-cooled bike. I have seen them on RN 7/11 site and I have even seen the F3 forks fit, but I am wondering about bearings and triple tree bolt on ease?

For those who have succeeded, how about Rake/Trail and handling success?

Let me know

------------------
88 Slingshot!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a 97 750 front end on an 86 750 it is a lot of work but I did it because the price was right and I have machine shop capabilities a 95 or earlier complete front end is a bolt on will post pics soon just putting it back together after painting but did ride it about a month ago when the weather was good and with the new front end remote resevoir rear shock and 17 dunlop 207 the handling and the stability is pretty amazing well worth the work.

------------------
86 totally non stock

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug,
Thanks! I am going to get a 93-95 750 front end I think. Might you know which one is the lightest with the most options?

A friend of mine has an 86 with a 90 750 (tele) fork set up and his bike handles like a dream.

Erik

------------------
88 Slingshot!

·
Registered
434 Posts
there is a diff in length between 750 forks and 1100 forks I would try to go as late a model as you can find. PS I believe all the comments about having to have a beam frame for good handling are wrong I did see somewhere a comment about the triple trees being to flexible and that was what caused the bulk of the diff in handling so with later style front end which includes much beafier triple trees the handling is very good certianly more than enough for the street. You also definately need to upgrade the rear shock. My plan is for racetech gold valves front and back and there spring recommendations after I have weighed the bike.

------------------
86 moded one end to the other

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah try to find a 94 or 95 750 front end if you can - for those years suzuki was trimming some of the excess weight that the 93 had, so the front ends from the 94-95 may be a tad lighter. it's not gonna be a huge weight difference, though.

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug/Jeff,
Thanks. I have my eyes open for a 94-95 750 front end.

p.s I already have the rear taken care of with a 96 1100 braced swing arm and an Ohlins shock.

Erik

------------------
88 Slingshot!

·
Registered
434 Posts
one diff on the later forks is 320 brakes vs 310 but the brake discs are flat vs dished on the 310 the solution if you want to keep your mech speedo drive is use a Kawasaki front wheel and 320 Kawa brakes they are dished so with a bit of machining the speedo drive will fit and it is the same ratio as the susuki but it is simpler to use the earlier front end unless you want 6 piston brakes with the bigger discs.

------------------

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a 91 1100 w/ srad forks. I used 91-92 750 triple clamps,96 srad forks wheel and calipers, vortec clip ons and a srad fender. It works perfect. I have the clamps for sale . I also have a conversion kit to fit the srad rear wheel on a 91 1100.

------------------

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes if you measure the tubes off of a 96-99 (not sure yet about the 00-01 sizes)with a caliper and the 91-92 clamps they are the same diameter . spacing is the same also for the front wheel with. I also used a 95 lower clamp once but had to modify the steering stops from let to right. Im going to the garage I will check my 1000 to see if the gold forks are the same diameter as the 96-99. When it comes to the suki's I have done a lot of parts swapping and modifiying .The srad forks on a older gixxer look sweet . You will also loose your speedo buy puting this front end on. I was working on using a 96 srad gauge set up but got side traked when my 1000 came in.

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doug,
So you put a late model Kawi wheel on your old tele forks?

Pete,
Did you use the 750 forks from anytihng SRAD from 96-99? The forks tubes will fit right in the 91-92 750 tripples?

------------------
88 Slingshot!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pete thanks. How much for your triples? Do you think you might have tubes laying around for the 96-99...Ebay has been dry for a few weeks so I am out of luck until I find some. Email me later if you want.

p.s. good luck with your 1000, you definately wil have your hands full.

[email protected]

------------------
88 Slingshot!

·
Registered
434 Posts
put kawa wheel and 320 kawa rotors on 97 gsxr 750 forks the axles are the same dia. The 97 gsxr uses 320 rotors instead of the 310 rotors of the earlier forks the reason for the switch to a kawa wheel is because susuki never made dished basket 320 rotors they are all flat this would be no problem if you have an electronic speedo driven off the motor like th later bikes but the earlier bikes have mechanical speedos so the choice is change the speedo or do what I did or go to the earlier front end with the 310 rotors

------------------

·
Registered
389 Posts
I may have a set of 96 forks in the next week or so with the 91 clamps. Just remind me .

------------------

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I know it is rude to tease but I've done the math...

The difficulty in putting a fork from a '96 or newer gixxer is that the top bearing is larger than that of a '86ish bearing. Why? The '96 has an aluminum steer tube. The bottom bearing is the same for both. I was able to find a bearing at Motion Industries. I'm at work at the moment and don't have my notes handy but I'll get you the dimentions and part numbers if you want. Oh, and the '96 triples work fine with those pretty blue '94 fork legs. And '96 wheels work too if you change the bearing innner diameter to match the '94 axle...just center it with alloy spacers and every thing works great...

If I could only find a motor...

------------------
'86 750 RG for nice days...
7/11 project for driving my wife nuts...
'82 GPZ550 for trashing without worries...

·
Registered
434 Posts
the larger bearings used on the later model front ends are axial ball bearings not tapered roller bearings and the axial ball bearing for a given dia does not have the load capacity of a tapered roller bearing. You will also find that the early stem shaft will not fit in the later lower triple clamp the shaft dia is slightly smaller, so what I did is machined a new stem shaft and used the late model triple clamps upper and lower and made a spacer for the upper triple clamp to the smaller stem shaft dia. If you look at my other reply shows how to have 320mm brake discs with a mechanical speedo drive.

------------------

·
Registered
434 Posts
for that all that would matter would be the dia of the fork tubes themselves some have dia changes in diff places so if you can tubes with the appropriate dia should be no problem other than that I know of all late model tubes take the large dia hollow axle which is why I went to the kawa wheel etc to retain the 320 brakes and the mech speedo as the hollow large axle which I think was 25mm is the same size from kawa to suzuki In fact I was looking at a zx7rr front end that could be mader to fit as well.

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bcklrcr/doug,
I am more interested in putting 96-99 fork tubes in my 91 triples. This way I won't have to mess with bearings and such. Then I just install my set of EBC 320mm rotors and away I go.

It must not be that simple, becasue here in N Cali there are a million gixxers, but I have not seen an SRAD front end yet. (last weekend i did see an 86 with 94 ZX7 front end)

E

------------------
88 Slingshot!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Like I said before 91-92 gsxr 750 clamps are the same tube diameter as a 96-99 srad fork tubes.You will need the
1)upper and lower clamps
2)after market clip ons or fartory 91-92 750 bars
3)srad fork tubes
4)srad rotors, calipers
5)srad front wheel and fender
You will loose your speedo. But does it matter every time I ride Im speeding anyways!
The reason u dont see it that often is the price of all the parts.
I also have a srad rear wheel on the back of my 91 1100.

------------------

·
Registered
434 Posts
the other choice for a speedo is to use a bicycle one.

------------------

1 - 20 of 23 Posts