Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please read this......and anything else you might find on the Act online, this is just one place to get an idea of your rights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

The Magnuson Moss warranty act in short says that a warranty must be clearly written and understandable by an average person. Also any statements that are ambiguous are held agaisnt the drafter of the warranty, NOT the consumer.

It states that the burdon of proof falls on the manufacturer to prove that something you did DIRECTLY effected the part or parts being warrantied for failure.

This basically means that they CAN NOT void your entire warranty based on the replacement of any part. They can ONLY void it on parts that are directly affected by the part you replaced.

A few examples

If you change your exhaust, and you can show that the air fuel ratio was corrected and/or within a range that would NOT cause a failure the warranty on your motor cannot be voided unless stated so in the warranty. They obviously can void it on any part of the exhaust affected by the parts changed.

If you change your brake lines, and your motor blows... they can not void the warranty on the motor. Even to the point of changing motor parts. they have to prove it CAUSED the failure. Example being you put an aftermarket slipper clutch in PROPERLY, and the pistons seize. Mechanically one cannot effect the other if installed properly, and thus the only voided part of your bike is the clutch... nothing more.

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS, and cover your ass. Dont let anyone try to tell you your warranty is voided when you take it in to a dealer, and you know there is no way anything you did caused the failure.

If they do, and refuse to work on it, escalate the problem to a higher office. It WILL get remedied.

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
Excellent read Joe, great post :thumbup

·
Premium Member
11,621 Posts
If more people would read their warranty paperwork they'd see that it says pretty much the same thing about aftermarket parts voiding warranties only if they're found to be directly responsible for the damage, which unless you get into some serious engine work ain't gonna happen.
Too many people take the word of some numbnuts behind the counter of a dealership

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hope I Never Have To Use My Warranty. If So I Know To Give Em Hell.

·
Registered
69 Posts
when I had a major problem after buying my bike...

I was told with super low miles on my bike(I think under 300) that it was my fault for not having my chain tight enough, and it wasn't probably going to be covered under warranty, when ACTually it was a speedo bolt that backed out and bound up in my front sprocket that was the cause of cracking my transmission case cover....

they covered it along with eating some major crow.
exhibit one.... numbnuts behind the counter!! exept this guy was the service manager!

Don't take their word as final that is for sure! I was ready to take it higher.

I knew that even if it was the chain being lose, I wasn't gonna pay for it when my bike didn't even need to have it's first service done yet! I do remember that!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Service managers can be the worst. They like to act condesending so you feel stupid and leave them alone. Then they feel smarter and can continue being lazy while riding on their high stool. Thats why they get paid the big bucks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
im new to the forums here (just bought an K7 600) but also own an Mitsubishi Evolution and Mitsubishi is the WORST when it comes to warranty work. They find anyway to void a warranty. So examples are:

1 - Checked online for evos that registered in SCCA track events and voided their warranty. When they came in with a 100% stock evo they were told the warranty has been voided due to racing the car in a organized event.
2 - Evos are know for a 5th gear grind from the factory and people have tried to bring it back to get fixed (was a TSB out for this). When the dealer saw a mod as little as a K&N filter to an aftermarker muffler they said the drivetrain and powertrain is voided due to the extra HP added. If something goes wrong its b/c of the extra stress that was added by the HP increase.
3 - If you lower your car the drivetrain is voided due to the different angle the driveshafts are at now. They are not meant to perform at those angles and extra stress is added.

Now that kind of stuff is rediculous...

But like what was said in the original post, you have to prove that the mod is the cause of the issue...and if you really think about it these cases i have listed COULD possibly be grounds for voiding if you are looking at it that way. If you are altering something, anything that is connected to that is technically compromised. These are extreme cases i have mentioned but it is plausable. Im not saying i agree with this but its how shit works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im a new user and cant figure out how to post a new thread. So I just wanted to ask a question off the back of this one. Does it make sense to purchase an extended warranty? I have a 07 gixxer 750, its my first bike and its a year old, I dont know if its worth it or not to get the warranty. Thanks for any answers.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For some people yes..... it really depends on your mechanical knowhow. There really isnt much taht is going to happen to the bike mechanically, that wont happen in the first year normally. But some prefer the piece of mind, as well as the fact if something DID happen they cant fix it themselves

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am ok with maintainence and basic modifications (bolt ons), but I doubt its in myself to change the clutch and feel good about it. I know the warranty won't cover wearable items (brakes, clutch, tires) but how reliable are the forks and motors, and rear shock. Have you heard if there many problems linked to their failure from use just as a street bike, as I don't plan to race anytime soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, so since we are on the subject of warranties. I recently found a crack in my engine block "i believed" caused by a rock getting stuck in between my swingarm pivot and the engine. Then the next day I found two more cracks that were on the opposite side of the engine. Obviously not caused by the rock.

Well I and a friend J.B. Welded the first crack and all is well on that one but after seeing the other two I brought it into the dealer and was told that bc of the Weld that the warranty if void.

My question and argument is this. The weld did not cause the other two cracks and considering the bike is 1 1/2 yrs old and has never been crashed, only fell from a stand still once, the engine should NOT have any cracks in it.

I'm considering removing the weld and bringing it into another dealer.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You have a valid fight on your hands......

Are you SURE it was a crack (leaking or anything) and not just a casting mark though? frequently in aluminum castings there will be wht appears to be cracks, but they are not

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, so since we are on the subject of warranties. I recently found a crack in my engine block "i believed" caused by a rock getting stuck in between my swingarm pivot and the engine. Then the next day I found two more cracks that were on the opposite side of the engine. Obviously not caused by the rock.

Well I and a friend J.B. Welded the first crack and all is well on that one but after seeing the other two I brought it into the dealer and was told that bc of the Weld that the warranty if void.

My question and argument is this. The weld did not cause the other two cracks and considering the bike is 1 1/2 yrs old and has never been crashed, only fell from a stand still once, the engine should NOT have any cracks in it.

I'm considering removing the weld and bringing it into another dealer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am just wondering, Is there a warranty rageding paint and finish on all GSXR's? for some reason i seem to have lots of paint chips on my fairings paint, I ride on paved street not even on rain or winter. so im wondering if there's any waranty on this?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
27 Participants
Talent750
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing