Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trackday this weekend in intermediate group, felt great and fast all weekend but got pushed to the outside by someone blowing a line in the most unsafe way i have ever witnessed (we are talking tip in towards apex for 2 seconds - then turn outward towards wall) while i attempted passing on the outside around a dangerous VERY fast left hander all the way to the edge of the pavement. Result my front gave out as the pavement ended, bike slid out from under me i rolled flipped once or twice into a soft tire barrier/some grassy area behind. Bike did the same but landed completely upside down balancing perfectly on the tank. My gloves/boots/helmet and the budget leathers i impulse bought are all completely toast but i am mostly uninjured

Pics to come of the aftermath tonight when I get home from work. Verdict is shes track only now as I do not even want to think about the $ to get it back street "legal"

obvious things broken ( i am sure there is more)

1. key bent but it still works in ignition
2. rear tail section taillight nearly falling out
3. left engine cover case is ground down significantly but is not weeping or dripping oil (most concerned about this)
3. 1 or both clip ons might be bent or front end is twisted (hopefully former rather than latter) as it looks a tiny bit "off"
4. tip over sensor needs to be reset or kickstand switch went? bike wouldnt start only tried to crank for a milisecond then it stopped while check engine light was flashing
5. kick stand significantly bent but still holds bike up albeit poorly
6. front brake reservoir was actually bent sideways and causing the brake to not have any pressure, once i bent it back it seems better
7. rear brake lever bent sideways but still appears operable
8. side plastics are barely hanging on on right side/very damaged on left (front unit scuffed but ok and totally intact)
9. tank scuffed but very minor
10. clutch lever bent significantly and ground down
11. there is dirt and grass in every nook cranny and orifice of this bike, it was spotless before, all stock 17' base model 1000

what should i look for? i hear don't start it til you pull the plugs since it might be hydrolocked from the upside down aspect. hope to be back out there as soon as I can but not looking to spent thousands to make it perfect, but if the frame is bent i dont want to waste any $

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
Reading a description of accident damage is as informative as listening to a baseball game on the radio. Post up as many close-up pics as you can, including multiple angles of the front end so we can hopefully rule-out obviously bent forks or a tucked frame.

The important thing is that you're OK :thumbup

·
Registered
369 Posts
Unlucky....

Hydrolocked? I was looking for the bit where your bike ended up in a lake....Thats when you hydrolock an engine.

You'll need to strip it down..

There will be gravel and road crap every where so if you can hoist the front end up and balance the bike somehow on the rear wheel, you can get rid of most of it...Otherwise its rocking it side to side for an age...Are you good at 12 oclock wheelies?

Check the airbox and empty of all the crap.

Check the forks and make sure they are not twisted in the yokes (British English for what you call Triple Clamps)...also check the forks themselves for any dents or bends and pray they are ok because those gas charged forks don't look cheap.

Check the clipons...Bent...cracked....twisted?

Check the rims...Any dents or cracks?

Check the front stay that mounts the headlights...the frame (this is a Suzuki, but I hope they've learnt some since my K5)....and the subframe

Other than that...It's going to be things like levers, bar ends, and rearsets that may need replacement.

After that...Visit

R&G Racing

and...

GB Racing

Consider trackbike insurance or a dedicated track bike as crashing these 20k road bikes at the track (when you're not even gonna get a trophy) starts to get expensive fast.

·
Super Moderator
14,982 Posts
That sucks man. Sounds like someone tried to stuff you in the corner, couldn't hold their line, and fucked you in the process. We are glad to know you are ok!

Unfortunately you have a bit of work to do to get that bike track ready again based on what you listed. As long as you don't have any frame damage you'll just need to go parts shopping.

We'll wait for the pics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks much worse in person. Id rinse it off but it’s pouring and my ankle/neck are hurting like a mfer. The front brake is seriously messed up pretty much goes right to the bar, is it possible one or both of my calipers are trash now? Or can the master cylinder get messed up? Lever looked ok More pics in next post

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t even know where to start. Rear sets one appears twisted although not exactly bent so I’m assuming rear sets + clutch lever w/ perch to start for necessary parts + stator cover guard + lots of zip ties

Attachments

·
7,744 Posts
That doesn't look too bad but there's only one pic that lets us see the forks. It does look good and straight from here but this isn't exactly a good angle to assess.

Can you shoot some from different angles to see if the forks / triples / steering head don't look visibly tucked?

Pics from these angles are what you're looking for
and

You get the idea

EDIT: great, and now, linked-in pic aren't displaying correctly anymore... friggen VS :facepalm

·
7,744 Posts
See, I open that one pic in ms paint to draw that line and it looks good but I can't actually see the top of the fork so I'm guessing where I think it should be.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Hi Joe, it’s Dave, It was fun meeting you at the track. It looks like you are the first here to crash one. There are lots of smart people here to help you get it sorted out.
Joe was doing very well and going really fast, he even passed me a few times during the day!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Joe, it’s Dave, It was fun meeting you at the track. It looks like you are the first here to crash one. There are lots of smart people here to help you get it sorted out.
Joe was doing very well and going really fast, he even passed me a few times during the day!
Dave! Had a great time riding with you and was a pleasure meeting you as well. Hope the guy who ran me out didn't give you any trouble all weekend.

So everyone sees what happened and the sheer insanity of my luck I used my paint skills to draw the scene. Keep in mind at turn in im probably 7000rpms into in 3rd

Attached pic key
blue line = me
black line = him
orange cone = apex
black circle/square = x for race line turn in
red line = edge of track
2nd red line = cliff after jersey barrier/hard tire wall
yellow circles = soft tire wall
blue x = front tire gives

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, if you haven't crashed a track bike, you aren't pushing yourself or the bike hard enough. I can't imagine doing it on a newer bike though. I simply can't afford it.

It just sounds like you should have been a little more selective or patient on your pass. Let's face it, the vast majority of the riders are not professionals and will make mistakes. Passing on the outside is always dicey as you can run out of pavement or have the guy on the inside go down and take you out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess we all get a bit cocky and expect others to do predictable things. Took some more pics after the hose down today.

Forks and frame appear straight to me actually upon closer look. Any way to measure them to assure things are aligned? Can’t seem to figure out why my brakes don’t work though I may just use this as an excuse to buy a Brembo RCS master/ Speigler lines. I lose pressure fast after a pull of the lever or two.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Here is the Brembo RCS Corsa Corta and the Brembo reservoir. I have not ridden with this setup yet but the feel of the lever is so much different. It is the opposite of the stock brakes. Instead of being so squishy you could squeeze it to the bar they just stop firmly. The Corsa Corta has 3 settings on it for how strong the response is. I would also recommend the Brembo reservoir. You could make the stock reservoir work but the hose fittings are different sizes and the alignment will make a tight bend in the hose. Here are the Spiegler lines. As usual they will fit perfectly. 8533E7AE-8EC7-423B-A2A2-1155C082C070_1559210847043.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hmm, the picture did not show up. Here you go.
very clean setup, the instructor at N2 who had an L8 1000 had the regular RCS, i assume that one fits exactly the same? I believe the corsa RCS is an extra 50-100$ lol

gotta take a socket set and pull the plugs to see if there is any oil on them/in the cylinder this weekend or early next week and most certainly a new kickstand as this thing is sketching me out, any one got a good parts source for this?

ill keep this thread updated for those curious

·
7,744 Posts
Forks and frame appear straight to me actually upon closer look.

Yes, if we just use a straight line over top of the forks in your picture, it does look like they're nice & straight. That's certainly not conclusive but it beats seeing obvious bending. :thumbup

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts