Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAVE YOU GUYS (& GALS) EVER BRACED OR HAD A SWINGARM BRACED? IF SO WHO DID IT, HOW MUCH $$$ AND WAS IT WORTH IT? I AM SCRAPPING THE 94 BRACED........WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE FOR MY FEEBLE MIND. I JUST PICKED UP A 91 92 11 ARM ON EBAY AND WAS WONDERING IF I SHOULD HAVE IT BRACED (BETTER HANDLING, STABILITY, ECT). THX AS ALWAYS...TALK TO YOU SOON

86 TO 94 BRACED SWAP OVER

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Who you yelling at
For the Older bikes I think the brace is more novilty than function. Unless you really start getting some big HP I don't see it making much difference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, thx fro the tip. i thought it was supposed to make it more stable and have better handling......oh well. do you know if the 91-92 is a move up from the stock 86, or are they the same?

G

·
0 Posts
I had a braced swingarm on my 88' GSXR 750 and to be honest I couldn't tell a difference between it and stock. My old 88 only put out 95 hp so there really wasn't any use in having it braced other than the ultra trick look of it.
It was done by Yoshimura back in the day when they did bracing and other stuff.....

I think you'll have as much trouble with mounting the 90-91 swingarm as you are with the 94-95 arm.

[ 07-08-2002, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: GixxerRacer371 ]

·
Registered
763 Posts
GixxerRacer371,

In reference to your question about the bracing, my place does it for about $110.00

On your 86 to 91-92 1100 swingarm swap, it should be a direct swap, you shouldn't have too many problems. If any it would only be the spacing or the bearing for the arm itself and the can be pressed in either arm to make the arm work.

Also, I believe the 91-92 1100 arm is 1 or 2 inches longer than your arm..

I know it is 2 inches longer than a 88 750 arms....

Good Luck,

JDB1371

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
You will have the same trouble doing the 91\92 swap, the dog bone and shock linkage are diferent between the first generation gsxr cradle fraem and the second gen cradle frame the 85-86 750, 85-88 1100 used an eccentric type linkage, the 89-95 used dogbones and a srs type linkage, either way maching work will have to be done to ensure a proper fit, Mr.Gixxer put my old 1100 arm on his 88 he can tell you the details of the machine work.../
-Karl

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don’t think that the bracing will be needed for performance. But if you like the way it looks go for it. The old frame probably flexes as much as the swingarm. Post any issues because I think I will be doing the same conversion. I welded tabs onto my old swingarm for the wheelie bars and now I'm bummed about it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Mines braced and I reckon it adds loads to the looks from standard !
As everyone has said already, it doesn't really make a difference to handling atc it's more of a looks thing...

It was alread done when I bought the bike many years ago but I guess 100-150GBP here for this sort of work

Having a bike is a lot about having something that is different to everyone elses so that's where I'm coming from, oh and being able to ride it properly, I do that bit too.

Andy

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a question here for you guys. Why do I always see people sayin that you need to do machineing for a 86 getting 92 suspension. If you have the 86 and you have all of the 92 suspension I thought it was all bolt on. At least it looks that way on my 750 with 92 1100 susp on it.

GregW

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no, because the 86 has an eccentric bearing and the 91/92 has a dog bone style swingarm. therefore, you must make a new bearing in order for the 91/92 to attach to the old skool frame.

it is all mind boggling to me.........

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yep, you still run into the bearing problem with the 91\2 arm, so you are better off sticking with the 94 arm which is lighter than the 91\2, talk to Mr.Gixxer or Doug about getting the bearing stuff made...
-Karl

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey kj, i have already made the bearing (with the help from both doug & mr gix). the problem is i am not getting any movement from teh swingarm when it is all hooked up. like i said prior......it would be like riding a rigid harley. as soon as i put he eccentric back in with the stock arm, it was fine. the darn 94 will just not move

i do not know what else to try?? i bought adjustable dog bones to see if it would help to have different setting, but NOPE! still no movement?????? so now i am back to this,

·
Registered
434 Posts
old skool re your poblem with the shock removed will the swingarm assy move freely as in pick up the back end with no wheel and have the swingarm fall by its own weight with the rocker and dogbones attached.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I raced my baby

The original swingarm is perfect ( 1100 only
) perfect for 6" rims.( not very easy
)
You have no idea by mounting light weight wheels 190( 180/55)/50 ,17( on the pic ) can change the bike so much, a dream for the tracks or twisties .

The bike is down too 355 lbs

The 750 frame is a bit lighter but is shit.. twisting too much under power and hard curve No way for me..

[ 07-12-2002, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: GOZR ]

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Originally posted by oldskool86:
hey kj, i have already made the bearing (with the help from both doug & mr gix). the problem is i am not getting any movement from teh swingarm when it is all hooked up. like i said prior......it would be like riding a rigid harley. as soon as i put he eccentric back in with the stock arm, it was fine. the darn 94 will just not move

i do not know what else to try?? i bought adjustable dog bones to see if it would help to have different setting, but NOPE! still no movement?????? so now i am back to this,

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why don't you use the 91-95 shock link and dogbones on your bike vice the 86 link and setup?

Jim

[ 07-12-2002, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: 93GIXXER-6/7 ]

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
ive been having the same prob, first make sure the swingarm brace isnt hitting up top ie. battery, next i had my eccentric bushing made of aluminum; bad move those needle bearings are hardened, they were wearing the alum before the bike even hit the ground so a new one of steel made, next dont forget to bush the bushing like the stocker was im having this done now. you will also need to space out your shifter side rearset to clear the arm. last i could only get about 11 degrees down angle on the arm as the chain wouldve ate through the front of the arm. looks like ill have to get a larger front and rear sprocket to get any more angle. hope to be back on the road the middle of next week if the wife allows garage time. let you know how it turns out then.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi all, sorry i have not gotten back to you. first off let me say, i have since put teh 94 arm back on with the eccentric and machined smaller outer washers/spacers so they do not hit the shock attachment on the frame. i am now getting the movement that i was not getting in the past. DOUG, i was not getting movement at all with the rim on or off. i have the 91/92 frame lying on the floor iin my garage, not even out of the box yet. i figures that i have movement now, so it should be ok. well.........not really, i let the bike down off of the jack stands and the ass end just sank to the lowest point possible. it wqas like there was no resistance at all. i htink what happened is i had loosened the shock too much when i was trying to get it to work in the past, so i need to tighten it back up. i put the spacers in behind the peg assemblly so it would not hit the arm and had a wheel spacer made for the back rim. i am soo darn close i can taste it. as far as the battery hitting i took care of that problem. it worked out great. i will take some pics in a while (battery is charging). this has been such a pain in the A**!! thx for all of the help guys!

·
Registered
360 Posts
We would like a full update and parts list when you are done. Do the 94 forks weigh less then 91's? And I hear the 94 wheels are alot lighter too. Thanks I gota know before I Re-do mine But I got awhile before I start.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I went looking an it seems that about 50% of what I saw in 1994 GSXR's swingarms were not braced. Is this aftermarket?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts