Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you went to the hotter plugs with the Stage 3 jet kits????

Also is there a website or place that sell the jets for Mikuni carbs or do I need to buy jet kits to get those????

Might be a silly question, but i am foreign to carsb abd carb problems....

Thanks,

JDB1371

[ 06-12-2002, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: J.D. ]

·
Registered
178 Posts
for my 91' 1100, the factory manual calls for a ngk jr9b or jr9c. i am not for sure if one is hotter than the other, but the jr9c has four electrodes on the plug. the jr9b just has one electrode like a standard plug. to answer your question though, i have a stage 3 kit and i run the jr9c plugs. i am not for sure on were to order mikuni jets- i do know that mikuni jets and dynojet jets are two different sizes. hope this helps....

[ 06-12-2002, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: cide ]

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by cide:
for my 91' 1100, the factory manual calls for a ngk jr9b or jr9c. i am not for sure if one is hotter than the other, but the jr9c has four electrodes on the plug. the jr9b just has one electrode like a standard plug. i am not for sure on were to order mikuni jets- i do know that mikuni jets and dynojet jets are two different sizes. hope this helps....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Cide,

I am using the jr9c but my plugs only have two electrodes, and i knew the jr9b had the one elctrode, but my manual say a hotter plug would be the jr8c I belive I do nto have the manual in front of me, but not sure of the electrode count, etc.

Maybe that is my problem, if the lectorde count should be 4 and I have 2.... Are you sure it is 4 electrodes????

Thanks,

JDB1371

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The NGK numbers break down like this:
JR9C is:
J for 12mm thread size
R for resistor plug
9 is the heat range
C is the electrode style

So they are both the same heat range. The higher the number the hotter the plug.

Why do you want hotter plugs? Are you having problems with the plugs fouling? If so what do the deposits look like?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by J.D.:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by cide:
for my 91' 1100, the factory manual calls for a ngk jr9b or jr9c. i am not for sure if one is hotter than the other, but the jr9c has four electrodes on the plug. the jr9b just has one electrode like a standard plug. i am not for sure on were to order mikuni jets- i do know that mikuni jets and dynojet jets are two different sizes. hope this helps....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Cide,

I am using the jr9c but my plugs only have two electrodes, and i knew the jr9b had the one elctrode, but my manual say a hotter plug would be the jr8c I belive I do nto have the manual in front of me, but not sure of the electrode count, etc.

Maybe that is my problem, if the lectorde count should be 4 and I have 2.... Are you sure it is 4 electrodes????

Thanks,

JDB1371
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">sorry j.d., my mind was in outer space. the jr9c plugs have 2 electrodes, not four.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You do not get any real benefit from having four electrodes rather than one. The four are there to extend the plug life by maintaining the proper gap longer. This is because the spark will only fire to one electrode at a time. So as an electrode wears the gap increases and the resistance increases, so the spark will jump to another electrode until it wears...on so on.

I am running standard single electrode plugs without any problems. They just leave some more money in my pocket

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Rbike:
The NGK numbers break down like this:
JR9C is:
J for 12mm thread size
R for resistor plug
9 is the heat range
C is the electrode style

So they are both the same heat range. The higher the number the hotter the plug.

Why do you want hotter plugs? Are you having problems with the plugs fouling? If so what do the deposits look like?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Rbike,

JR10C is what my manual say is the hotter one to use.

I had thought of using the hotter plug because, yes, I am definitley fouling plugs, but it is the dry fluffy carbon build up on them and can be cleaned I have done that. The white around the tip in themiddle is even dirty right now, so, that is why I was thinking hotter plug, more air to even out the richness perhaps??? I probably just need to get better carbs than the CV's huh???

Also, are resistor plus better than non-resistor plugs???

Just curious if it would help cut down on fouling or not.

Thanks for any info. or suggestions.

JDB1371

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Do *NOT* go to a hotter plug to remedy a jetting prob... main jets are widely available, you should be able to find the mikuni "large round" style (which is what our bikes use) at almost any bike shop in town... if not, Ron Ayers can hook you up, as well as wherever it was that you got the jet-kit from. "hotter" plugs simply have a shorter path for the heat to travel to get to the head... all it will do is increase your cylinder head temperature, and that won't do anything for your plug-fouling problem... it *can* cause other problems for you though... don't do it. The only time it would be appropriate to go to a "hotter" heat-range plug would be if you're in a cold climate and you are having trouble getting the engine up to operating temperature.

Yes, the CV's are a pain to tune... but if you're patient, you can get very good results from them... I spent all day on a dyno doing it, but I got my 38mm CV's dialed-in for a FAT, smooth powerband. it *can* be done. Yes, the FCR's or the mikuni radial-slides are easier to tune... but they will foul plugs too if you don't take the time to set them up properly. Have a beer, relax, order some smaller main jets, and keep fiddling with it til you get it right... your checking account will thank you, and it won't be *much* more trouble than jetting new carbs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by Rbike:
You do not get any real benefit from having four electrodes rather than one. The four are there to extend the plug life by maintaining the proper gap longer. This is because the spark will only fire to one electrode at a time. So as an electrode wears the gap increases and the resistance increases, so the spark will jump to another electrode until it wears...on so on.

I am running standard single electrode plugs without any problems. They just leave some more money in my pocket
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">rbike, you are correct. you will not feel any difference between a two electrode plug and a one electrode plug. the only reason i am running jr9c plugs is because i found them for the same price as the jr9b's.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by J.D.:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">jr10c is colder than jr9c....if the manual says otherwise, it is wrong.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the resistors in the plugs are there for emi (electromagnetic interference) suppression.....one isn't really 'better' than the other, it's just a matter of what the ignition was designed to use.....

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by jeff:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by J.D.:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">jr10c is colder than jr9c....if the manual says otherwise, it is wrong.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the resistors in the plugs are there for emi (electromagnetic interference) suppression.....one isn't really 'better' than the other, it's just a matter of what the ignition was designed to use.....
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Jeff,

I have the manula in front of me and the manual states JR8C, so going down in numbers would be hotter.

Thanks,

JDB1371

1 - 12 of 12 Posts