Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The look of the new 05 can has grown on me, but i want a little more sound. If I were to drill a big hole right through the center of the can, would I regret it? Anybody do it, and if so, how does it sound. Is it gonna run the same?
What about drilling a hole in the muffler and then welding a striaight piece of pipe in ? Anyone try anything like this?
Search isnt working. Thanks

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
The stock pipe is the result of countless development $$ and many hundreds of hours of design and dyno work by eminently qualified engineering people. Ditto for the more well-known aftermarket exhaust manufacturers. I get miffed everytime I see someone try to second-guess the designers - I fail to see how any "drilling" or chopping anywhere on an exhaust pipe by a well-meaning (but misguided?) owner can be beneficial. If you want more sound, go with the aftermarket and get your bike dyno tuned. By the way, the entire muffler system is made out of titanium. What sort of straight pipe will you be welding in? Heavy steel? Is that an improvement? How would you return it to stock condition if you needed to.

Sorry, I just don't think its a good idea.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The stock pipe is the result of countless development $$ and many hundreds of hours of design and dyno work by eminently qualified engineering people. Ditto for the more well-known aftermarket exhaust manufacturers. I get miffed everytime I see someone try to second-guess the designers - I fail to see how any "drilling" or chopping anywhere on an exhaust pipe by a well-meaning (but misguided?) owner can be beneficial. If you want more sound, go with the aftermarket and get your bike dyno tuned. By the way, the entire muffler system is made out of titanium. What sort of straight pipe will you be welding in? Heavy steel? Is that an improvement? How would you return it to stock condition if you needed to.

Sorry, I just don't think its a good idea.
+1

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
One more thing - I sprang the equivalent of USD1.1K for a Yosh TriCone, PC3 and BMC race fliter and 2 hrs of dyno tuning to obtain a custom map. Sure, I got 173 rwhp and close to 82 ft lbs of torque on this set-up with a sweet mid-range that was better than stock. But guess what? The stock setup was much, much better anywhere above 9,000 rpms with way more accelleration. I'm going back to the dyno, but this point just illustrates the quality of the stock set-up.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Well, to be perfectly honest, the stock exhaust on the K5 is pretty restrictive. In the mid-pipe you have the SET valve and the actual end can itself is pretty convoluted looking on the inside. Someone on here chopped one short and put a straight through core in it. Do a some searching and you will find it.

The stock pipe is the result of countless development $$ and many hundreds of hours of design and dyno work by eminently qualified engineering people.
I certainly agree with you on this, but at the end of the day, they still use the design that will allow the bike to pass EPA noise restrictions, not necessarily the one that provides the best sound and performance

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
But why would you want to ride a bike if you don't look cool.....and more importantly, sound badass???

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
But why would you want to ride a bike if you don't look cool.....and more importantly, sound badass???

OK, let me rephrase that.

Any top race teams out there utilizing the stock exhaust can?

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I was just joking, but seriously....
I'm not really sure that at my skill level a different can will really make that much of a difference for me . I'm not going to be out there timing myself around the track or anything. I just want to be able to fly down the road and tear through the twisties. I didn't like the stock pipe at first, but it's growing on me, so I probably won't be in too big of a hurry to replace it. I still haven't seen one in person though, so I have no idea how it sounds. If it sounds like a pussy then I may have to swap it out fairly soon. Speaking of pussy sounding bikes....does anyone else hate the way the TL sounds. The bike may kick ass for all I know, but it sounds horrible. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
The TL sounds awesome. Love the twin pipes. I've been looking for a 2003 used one but only found one and the dude won't sell it to me. Personally I like the stock can on the K5. People come up to me and ask if it's aftermarket and are suprised when I tell them it's stock. Of course they are bikers but it does looks different. The stock can is quiet but I'm real happy with it.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
The TL sounds awesome.
The stock can ('05) is quiet but I'm real happy with it.
To each his on on the TL I guess. It's just not my cup of tea.

Does anyone have an audio or shit...any video of an '05 in action? I'd love to see or at least hear it, with the stock pipe that is.

·
Registered
919 Posts
about cutting the stock pipe - save urself the headache - get an aftermarket - you'll like it better anyway

about the TL - yeah they switched to the SV1000 in 2003 or 2004 i think - main difference is that the TL1000R twin (which was great in its day) was in effect detuned 'for more mid range' when put in the SV1000

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Well whenever they stopped making it.....
.....it still sounds gay. I've never ridden one though. The SV on the other hand IMO is GAY. I have riden one and I felt like I was on a little kids toy. It was an SV650, I'm sure the 1000 is much better, but still just not for me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My problem is that I really like the looks of the stock can, and I dont really like the looks of any of the other pipes, esp with what they cost and all. I would like a little more sound, thats all. Even my buddy said my bike sounded like a vaccum cleaner when I passed him doin 90 on the highway, he was broken down (on his Harley Davidson) . Also when im riding above 60, with my helmet and wind noise, I cant hear my bike at all.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The stock pipe is the result of countless development $$ and many hundreds of hours of design and dyno work by eminently qualified engineering people.
Oh? I didn't know that every part on a motorcycle was engineered for maximum performance.

Would that be why even a stock bike will benefit from a Power Commander?

NOT!!!!

Wake up to the reality that an engineer has many other things to think about than maximum performance. If that's all they had to do, we'd all have 400hp bikes by now. They have to deal with production limitations, equipment constraints, suppliers, materials, price of the final product, and more.....SOMETIMES EVEN LIMITING POWER is what they design something to do!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts