Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got one but didn't build it myself.
Check out the forum on RNS and look for a guy called Frankenstein. He build my engine with the 6 speed and has build at least 2 more like that.
Only thing I know is he used the '89 750 gearbox, which fits right in, in a '89 1127 engine and the only difficult part was drilling a hole through some shaft for the clutch.
I'm pretty sure he can tell you a lot about it.

By the way: it works perfectly
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,664 Posts
Hello J.D...i drilled the shaft out for one of these conversions,,tricky but not a issue...here is a number of a shop who does/have done this conversion 905 560 1124...ask for BRYAN...good luck!!ps the bike has over 22,000 on that gearbox with no troubles as of yet...mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Oh damn it now I am going to have to look into this again since I am splitting the cases soon

-Karl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Any information you can help with to let me know if this is feasible let me know...

Thanks,

JDB1371
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
From everything I have heard it is more trouble than it is worth, factory 1100 race bikes came with 6spd, if you could find one of those that would be your option, but the likelyhood of that is slim and none, standard 750 trans even when race cut, will not hold up for long under the tourque of a built 1100 motor, at least this is what I have bben told, but if you have enough time and money it is possible
-Karl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Originally posted by KJ1:
From everything I have heard it is more trouble than it is worth, factory 1100 race bikes came with 6spd, if you could find one of those that would be your option, but the likelyhood of that is slim and none, standard 750 trans even when race cut, will not hold up for long under the tourque of a built 1100 motor, at least this is what I have bben told, but if you have enough time and money it is possible
-Karl
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">KARL,

Thanks for the info, I had a feeling it would be pretty tedious.... OR COSTLY.....

Thanks,

J.D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Originally posted by KJ1:
Oh damn it now I am going to have to look into this again since I am splitting the cases soon

-Karl
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Guys,

Thanks, for the information, I am ready for this, seeing that i have an 89 750 sitting her einfornt of me, and an 88 750 coming out of the bike when this motor goes in....

Gonna use the heads off of the 1989 750 as well, so, I should be in good shape...

Thanks,

JDB1371

Got a guy here with a stock busa, NOS bottle, but not connected to the motor, just going by the local places spraying up the windscreen, can't wait to sray all over him with this new motor...

HIS BUSA is DONE!!!
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there were "NO GSXR 1100 FACTORY RACEBIKES"...... there were however race teams that were factory suported but the 6 speed gear boxes they were using were from GSXR 750's.... If there ever was a Kit 6 speed for the 1100 it has alluded me all these years, if anyone has documented proof of one existing I would love to see it!


[ 05-10-2002, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: GixxerRacer371 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Originally posted by GixxerRacer371:
To the best of my knowledge there were "NO GSXR 1100 FACTORY RACEBIKES"...... there were however race teams that were factory suported but the 6 speed gear boxes they were using were from GSXR 750's.... If there ever was a Kit 6 speed for the 1100 it has alluded me all these years, if anyone has documented proof of one existing I would love to see it!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Agreed,

I have spoken with two motor guys today and they told me they have used 750 trannys in the 1127 motors or drilled out the cases on the 750 motor and used the 1100 internals in the 750 cases in order to be able to use the existing tranny's in their housings, etc.... Don't know about that.

But, I was told the only differences in the 1127 cases and 750 cases are minor boring issues (mainly in the jgs area) and then they are the same....

Thanks for the info guys..... I pick up a 1052 motor this weekend it looks like I have found within 2 hours of me.... I was told the only thing I need to watch about the 1052 is that it uses the smaller starter (like the 750) and the higher end big bore kits will be harder to start with the small starter....

JDB1371
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Okay, I was misunderstood, I meant factory supported 1100 bikes....
now to find a spare motor or two...
-Karl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Originally posted by KJ1:
Okay, I was misunderstood, I meant factory supported 1100 bikes....
now to find a spare motor or two...
-Karl
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Karl,

I just bought two if you need one let me know I will give you the rundown on either one...

One is a 88 1052 and the other is a 92 1127...

Later

JDB1371
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Hell give me the run down on both

too bad you didn't come across an 89 1127
Also let me know if you turn up an 89 750
-Karl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Originally posted by KJ1:
Hell give me the run down on both

too bad you didn't come across an 89 1127
Also let me know if you turn up an 89 750
-Karl
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Karl,

Here's all what I have available to me for sale:

4 1100 motors, 1 750 motor

89 Katana motor has about 12K on it and is
in real nice shape. It came out of a wrecked bike that still had stock
exhaust, saddle bags etc. Cosmetically it's beautiful, no fading or
corrosion. The only damage is the right side ignition cover is scraped but
no case damage whatsoever. It also runs great, had it running before I
pulled it. I'll take $1600 + shipping for it.

90 GSXR motor has about 17K on it,
all stock and runs great. A friend of mine bought a complete 90 that was
wrecked and had the motor in a 750. He was not a racer so when he had it it
got babied . It runs excellent. I'll take $1800 for it.

91 GSXR 1127 has spun bearing it needs a rod and a crank everything else is good ape tranny ,terry reid head mild port. Like to get around 1100.00 for it...

88 GSXR 1052 Need clutch backet and clutch basjet cover, but this is the motro you can use the stronger gears from the newer 1127's in. Like to try and get 800.00 for it.

All motors have clean numbers so you won't have any suprises at the DMV.

Also, these motor can be shipped to you via forward ari at about 60.00 to 80.00 I believe.

LET ME KNOW

THANKS,

JDB1371
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Originally posted by KJ1:
Hell give me the run down on both

too bad you didn't come across an 89 1127
Also let me know if you turn up an 89 750
-Karl
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Karl,

I forgot to tell you about the 88 750 motor, about 34,000 miles on it, but clean & running right now, I RODE IT THIS MORNING....

Like to try and get the worth of the cylinder heads out of it and the tranny which is about 525.00

Later

JDB1371
 

·
YAAFM Mod
Joined
·
3,016 Posts
The endurance bikes that Yosh "unoffically" built in 89 were the first 7-11's with 1100 engines with the Kit gear box from the 750 and the 750 head. This is what got me to build my first 7-11 in September of 89 out of my 88 750. I did not use the Kit box because of the cost (2200.00 in 89) and Yosh told me that the stock box could not handle the HP of a built up 1100. Also some info for you guys the 88-89 750 cases work for the 1100 with just a upper case bore, the 85-87 & 90-92 do not work because of the different shape of the inside of the case with the different stroke and you can not clearance the case because it gets to thin. I still have this bike with the Yosh ported head and Yosh mag flatslides. I am rebuilding this bike agian and I am thinking of trying the 88 six speed with a 86 Dry Clutch to make the clutch the weak link.
Bones
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
982 Posts
All I Have to say is "Why"????????

You wanna be Different?
Try,A CUSTOM PAINTJOB!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I have put a 6 boxes in 3 1127 motors so far, and they all do fine. Some people keep telling the boxes can't handle the power, bla, bla. Might even be true, all I know is that the 3 motors that I have built are motors with slightly more than stock power (-145 rwhp.), they are used on road, track, and a lot of back wheel stuff, and they have stand everything with success.
I have used boxes from 88-91, they are the same. They drop right into the 88-90 1127 cases, for the 91 1127 cases (they have a double row bearing on the output shaft) you can simply use the stock 1127 bearing, but install it inside-out. This will give a perfect line up, the only thing is that your front sprocket will also stick out a little bit more, so you have to line up your chain/sprockets. Of course you will have to drill a hole through the shaft for the pushrod to the clutch. It's pretty hard, but a local machine shop here does it for +/- $100. If you have a diaphragm clutch in your 1127 (I believe 90 & 91), you will have to convert to a 'normal spring' clutch, since the 6 box axle is shorter than the 5 box axle on the diapragm clutch type. (But the same length as the normal spring clutch, so that's easy).
That's about it. I allways take my time to assemble it. It's not a big deal, but I clean up the cases around the box, shim the sprockets if needed, etc.
There are more ways to do it, but I've found this way quite easy and reliable. No promises, but as said, I never broke a 6 box, only 5 boxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Originally posted by JoeyPsychos.com:
All I Have to say is "Why"????????

You wanna be Different?
Try,A CUSTOM PAINTJOB!!!!!!!!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The answer to your question of WHY, is because I want to be different, KICK BUSA ASS, and I ALREADY HAVE A CUSTOM PAINT JOB......

JDB1371
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Originally posted by Frankie:
I have put a 6 boxes in 3 1127 motors so far, and they all do fine. Some people keep telling the boxes can't handle the power, bla, bla. Might even be true, all I know is that the 3 motors that I have built are motors with slightly more than stock power (-145 rwhp.), they are used on road, track, and a lot of back wheel stuff, and they have stand everything with success.
I have used boxes from 88-91, they are the same. They drop right into the 88-90 1127 cases, for the 91 1127 cases (they have a double row bearing on the output shaft) you can simply use the stock 1127 bearing, but install it inside-out. This will give a perfect line up, the only thing is that your front sprocket will also stick out a little bit more, so you have to line up your chain/sprockets. Of course you will have to drill a hole through the shaft for the pushrod to the clutch. It's pretty hard, but a local machine shop here does it for +/- $100. If you have a diaphragm clutch in your 1127 (I believe 90 & 91), you will have to convert to a 'normal spring' clutch, since the 6 box axle is shorter than the 5 box axle on the diapragm clutch type. (But the same length as the normal spring clutch, so that's easy).
That's about it. I allways take my time to assemble it. It's not a big deal, but I clean up the cases around the box, shim the sprockets if needed, etc.
There are more ways to do it, but I've found this way quite easy and reliable. No promises, but as said, I never broke a 6 box, only 5 boxes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">TTT anyone know how to contact this guy? I'm looking to put a 6 speed in my 1216cc motor?

Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Originally posted by ampdog:
Does the 6th gear give you a greater top end?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I do not have the gear ratios in front of me to totally answer that, but for conversation even if they were the same overall ratio in high gear it will still give me more top end becuse i will not need to gear it as low on the sprockets to get it out of the hole since the first/2nd gear ratio should be much better on a 6 speed than a 5 speed for launching the bike.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top