Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So probably herniated a disk in my lower back and am getting an MRI tomorrow. I pinched l4/l5 going to my right leg it kinda HURTS!!! Got a spinal block and it was very nice!
Just curious if anyone has done the same.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
So probably herniated a disk in my lower back and am getting an MRI tomorrow. I pinched l4/l5 going to my right leg it kinda HURTS!!! Got a spinal block and it was very nice!
Just curious if anyone has done the same.
3 times, 3 operations. I now have the bottom 3 fused with rods.

·
19,104 Posts
No thanks:banghead They said it will probably heal on its own. Does it hurt to ride with your spine fused?
It's actually better than riding with them fucked up like they were from the first 2 operations. Give PT & epidurals as good a chance as you can, the discectomies & laminectomies rarely turn out so hot if you are trying to stay active & athletic. I know several guys that only went through one series of injections & PT & were good afterwards with no issues.

You just have to learn to be carefull & not be stupid with your back. Get religious about doing the stretches they will teach you in PT, that is a giant help. I also got a Teeter inversion table to hang upside down on, that helps too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My back is healing up slowly but still get shooting pains in my legs. Not sure If I'm going to need surgery yet. I'm falling apart at the ripe old age of 25.:lol
Thanks for the advice oldfart01.

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
I have issues with L3 & L4 rotating about 1/8 of a turn, and when they do I'm screwed for about 3 weeks or more. So bad when it first goes out that sometimes I can't even get off the floor.

I just try and be really careful with it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I feel for all of you with back pain. Mine has been coming and going for a little while now. 2 weeks ago it was so bad that I actually went to the ER. The pain had gotten so bad I was pretty much on the couch in the fetal position. So basically I paid a 200.00 co-pay to get some pain killers which at least let me sleep.

I'm flat footed and I think I'm just very compressed in my lower back because of that. Years of weight training..and I still do, probably isn't helping. I actually have an appt with my ortho in a few weeks to see what the hell is going on with me. Man when it hits, it f'n SUCKS!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the results back from the MRI and lucky me no herniated disc! :punk
They are not quite sure how I acquired nerve damage coming off L4 and L5. So yes I still have some nerve damage but it's slowly healing up. I also have central neuropathy, so that never helps anything.

To the rest of you suffering with back problems I feel for you. Hopefully if i ever finish my degree in pain management, opioids, neurochemisty, etc...
I might have some solutions for you.

Stay strong and take care!

·
19,104 Posts
Got the results back from the MRI and lucky me no herniated disc! :punk
They are not quite sure how I acquired nerve damage coming off L4 and L5. So yes I still have some nerve damage but it's slowly healing up. I also have central neuropathy, so that never helps anything.

To the rest of you suffering with back problems I feel for you. Hopefully if i ever finish my degree in pain management, opioids, neurochemisty, etc...
I might have some solutions for you.

Stay strong and take care!
Keep an eye on your neuropathy, sometimes a simple operation to open up & widen the channel the nerves run through can help you a lot. Glad yo didn't have anything worse.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
3 times, 3 operations. I now have the bottom 3 fused with rods.
My mom had this procedure done. It helped her a lot. The doctor said however it's common for the discs above the rods to start to deteriorate over time. So now she is in a lot of pain from that. Several falls didn't help either.

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
L4/L5 had to have most of the disc removed as it had moved over so much it was pinching my nerve. Now the one between lS/S1 is in need. Gave up on shots when I read that too many over time can mess with your vision and break down bone density

·
Registered
146 Posts
OP, have you tried acupuncture? It helped me with nerve issues when I was younger . Hate taking the meds:dissapointed.
If you decide to try it, ask around to find a recommended licensed one that others have had luck with.
I blew up a disk when I was 50 and they epoxy it back together (high sides are a bitch!) and used acupuncture as part of the pain treatment. My results were not as good as when I was younger but still made a difference.
I will tell you one thing, once you have a weak link in your back it is always there. Proper stretching is your friend.
Good luck.
DT

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
My chiropractor did miracles for me.
Some say they are witch doctors but like anything else...when you find the right one, It's magic!
I was carried in and walked out though I didn't walk right for several months.
Typical lower back issues from disc movement and pinched nerve.
They talked about possible surgery but I said no-no-no to that!
Worst offender is the wallet in the back pocket and have been wearing the fanny pack ever since.
Sciatic nerve pain comes and goes and I'm thinking it's just old age creeping up on me in 1 form or another.
All in all my pains are few and far between but after finding the right chiropractor I swear by him not at him!

·
Registered
62 Posts
#threadrevival

I've had lower back issues for the last 6 months (not riding related). I have a bulge at l4/l5 and a tear at l5/s1. It causes constant lower back aching and intermittent pain. I find riding to be more comfy to driving. However I want to make riding as pleasant as possible. The only time I've felt pain during a ride was when I last hit the mountains and the constant body movements set it off. So far, physio and cortisone is all the treatment I've had. Wound moving the foot pegs help reduce the stress on the back? If so, would it be to move them back or down?

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,034 Posts
^ dont know if your still checking this dude, but wear a strap together back brace, it'll help, leg position is going to be different for each person and on each bike.
my back is rooted so i know where your coming from.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
XCSEDAN
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing