Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
44teeth is currently running a Budget Bike Battle series between an R1 '06 and 1000 K6 and in the run up to the actual challenge, the K6 has been filled with Gremlins
They finally managed to find the culprit and I was actually quite surprised

Apparently, the camchain was stretched a fraction of a mm by a manual cam chain tensioner

I replaced about 3 of them on my 750K6 during its lifetime (57K miles), and thought about putting one of those in, never heard about them causing these kind of problems

·
Registered
299 Posts
And they installed a manual one on the R1... I guess if it's installed and used correctly it won't stretch the chain but I've always had my doubts about them, thats why I've never installed a manual one. I rather have the peace of mind that comes with an OEM one, it's not like GSXRs were known for their crappy CCTs.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,826 Posts
it's not like GSXRs were known for their crappy CCTs.
I guess you haven't been riding GSXR's for too long then :ROFLMAO:

The older models were quite well known for crappy CCT's that would fail and need replacement.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Really!? Which ones? First GSXR was a K8, then L1 and the last one a L3. I've now got a GSX-S 750, which is related to the K4/5 750 and I don't recall those having bad CCTs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I really enjoy watching their shows and look forward to hearing their reviews.

Disappointed they get a k6 and it's a lemon.

Team Suzuki ftw.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,826 Posts
Really!? Which ones? First GSXR was a K8, then L1 and the last one a L3. I've now got a GSX-S 750, which is related to the K4/5 750 and I don't recall those having bad CCTs.
Quite a few years earlier than that. By the K8 they were all sorted.

You can look it up and see stuff posted about the older model bikes.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah I watch 44t funny as fuck to be fair tho that k6 was a dog fucked ex track bike lol as for crappy cam chains being well known on gixxers I personally have not heard this iv had 2 600k1's a 750y a 750k4 1000k5 and now have a 1000k1 and have never had this issue put loads of miles on each of them as well the only major issue I ever had was one of the 600 k1's fucked 2and gear (too many wheelies) the only other issue I had was minor the clutch switch on a 600k1 and 750k4 £12 for a new one so minor and easy fix 👍 maybe I've been lucky

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And they installed a manual one on the R1... I guess if it's installed and used correctly it won't stretch the chain but I've always had my doubts about them, thats why I've never installed a manual one. I rather have the peace of mind that comes with an OEM one
Pretty much my same thought at the time,

it's not like GSXRs were known for their crappy CCTs.
Yeah I had my issues with CCTs
I replaced 2 on my '98 750 SRAD (which including the first were modifications of the original ones AKA the "improved" version) in 15000 miles.
and 3 on my K6 750 in 59000 miles
And AFAIK, this was well known in the time by all GSXR-Owners, but it also was an easy and pretty cheap fix and (IIRC, a Honda Regulator blowing out was about as frequent ans more expensive to fix
and let's not talk about Kawa's gearbox issues it was known for in the past)

But I was still amazed that such a small bit of length in the chains (though the gears might have worn out a little more as well) would result in such big issues

1 - 10 of 10 Posts