Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any swingarms swap with a 87\' 1100

Well just as the title said. I just bought the bike off a friend. And want to update it a little bit. I have a 92 gsxr whole front end, now I need to know what to do with the rear..Thanks Gerry

·
Registered
805 Posts
Re: Any swingarms swap with a 87\' 1100

What are you wanting to accomplish with the rear end?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I want to fit a wider rim "a 180 or 190" on and use a different rear brake configuration...Gerry

·
Registered
805 Posts

I saw a '94 1100 swingarm on an '88 a few months ago. The person that put in on there said it took a little work, but it was not too hard. He did not go into detail on what all was involved, but I will try to get in touch with him if you need me to.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
3,509 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to fit a wider rim "a 180 or 190" on and use a different rear brake configuration...Gerry
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my '86 RG I put the front end and wheels for my 7/11 last weekend. I left the stock swingarm of the '86 on, I didn't feel liek monkeying with the '94 1100 swingarm for the 7/11. The rear wheel is from a '92 gsxr600 ('17x5.5 with a MeZ3 170/60) After switching the disc to the smaller diameter of the '86 it easily fit right in. The aluminum linkage between the brake and the area by the swing arm pivot comes within 2mm of the tire, but there is plenty of room between the tire and the swingarm on both sides. I have an extra brake linkage that I put an "S" into to get it around the tire better.(translation- vise + deadblow hammer = S) I also have a Bridgstone BT010 180/55 that I'll use as soon as the Metzler is toast. It should fit nicely too.

I was impressed by the stability of the more modern radial(vs K591's) and the extra rear width seems more stable through corners. Less squirm, more propulsion.

·
Registered
434 Posts

am just in the middle of installing a new arm on my 86 750. My 86 arm looks very similar to your 87 1100. A 17x5.5 will fit just on your stock arm. In testing of the stock arm to later arms even unbraced later models there is a huge diff in stiffness there is also a lot of variations it seems in models will post info later meanwhile back to reassembly

·
Registered
2,491 Posts

I ahve a polished 92 1100 arm for sale 170.00 OBO I'll take care of shipping.
-Karl

·
Registered
434 Posts

just back from a test hop with the new arm installed, mondo improvement you must do it. There is a fair bit of work involved to swap the early arm it a'int a bolt on but its well worth the work. If you needa blow by blow of the mod let me know and I will post it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well thanks for everyones input. I have one more question though, What is the latest year swing arm I can fit in the my 87? Thanks again..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts