Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First i need to thank all u guys, you have been a great help anytime i get stuck.

For a change my bike is on the road and working almost right.

I am having a problem that is baffeling me.

I had a small accident in the shop about a month ago. The bike fell off it's stand, i caught it almost in time. Unfortanatly the gas tank was on the ground beside the bike, and a bolt for one of the side covers made a nice hole in the side of the tank. The bike was otherwise OK.

I braised (sp?) the hole shut, and furred the tank. (would rather be riding than painting).
Unfortanatly, the welding left some slag inside the tank.
I have been putting inline fuel filters into the line, untill slag clears out. Just $4 filters from local auto parts store. Been changing the filters whenever they get dirty. They are clear, so it is ovious when they are dirty.

Well my promlem this time is that i seem to be getting vapour lock from the tank. Fuel stops flowing into the carbs (as can be seen through clear fuel filter). I have replaced all fuel lines, removed the screens from petcock, checked breather on top of tank.

Thinking about getting a fuel pump, and force the fuel out of the tank, but this should not be nessary IMO.
I have tried 3 different types of filters.
Problem only happens once or twice a week, usually when bike is hot.

I can't figure out why this would be happening?
any ideas?

weas

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
You need to be more spacific... Is fuel visible in the filters? If you pull the fuel lines from the carbs does it flow? Where does the fuel stop? Your petcock could be bad. The vac line to it could be bad. Lots of things can go wrong in a fuel supply system and as they are gravity feed the fuel filters could be the problem.
Bones

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Is the breather tube free and clear? (that's the tube on the top of the tank that goes to the hole in your steering stem) But as BONES said...there are many tubes to look at and it could me any one or more of them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
what you are describing was similar to what I encountered with my 86 when I was trying inline filters. I found the paper filters would work for a very short period of time then there was not enough flow to feed the carbs and the bike would starve for gas and run very inconsistantely. Found the only solution was to use the Purolater inline clear filter that has a fine mesh screen even tho the package says not for motorcycles for soom reason I found they worked perfectly and you can dissasemble and clean them,also tried sintered bronze inline filters but they will not flow enough under gravity conditions they are made to work with fiuel pumps not gravity feed. Also all the intank filters are fine mesh screens so I assume you have removed the intank filter.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'd look inside that tank at the filters on the petcock. Remove the petcock to see if the screens are dirty from the slag. Otherwise, the inline filters shouldn't be making a problem with a gravity feed fuel system. I use them on another bike without any problem...they are the sintered brass style. I haven't ever tried the paper style so I don't know if they are causing a restiction. You can take them out and blow through them to see if they have any restriction. You should be able to blow through very easily, or you can compare the resistance with that of a new unused filter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thx for the ideas. checked them all out.

I now know that paper filters don't work with a gravity feed system.

learned this the hard way

jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts