Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a weekend...

Holy Shit. Have I race 3 months in a row? What a fuggin good time...

Anyway, I'll try to keep this short. Basically, the last two months I've been gridded in the second wave of extremely large Novice grids... the first time it was becuase I had no points and the second time the office made a mistake. No matter, it's very difficult to score more than 2 points from the second wave... This month I was gridded in the first wave finally! What a difference!

I knew my lap times were good enough to run near the front in Novice so I just hoped to have some good starts and get through turn one clean.

My First race was Middlewight Novice. I was gridded 13th. Not bad. Got kinda poor start and went into 1. Holy shit. What a mess... lots of contact.... but we all made it through. Picked off a few guys over the first lap and came across the line in like 9th place. The beginning of lap 2 a buddy of mine goes down right next to me exiting turn 2, then a guy loses the front immediately in front of me in 3 then another does the same thing in 4, again immediately in front of me... HOLY SHIT!! Calm down guys we're not even half way through lap 2!! Anyway, the red flag flies. Turned out to be a pretty long delay as my buddy Craig cut his arm open pretty good... felt really bad for the guy. He was riding great all weekend and made A LOT of progress.
On the restart I got a much better start, got through 1 cleanly and began to escape with the lead pack. Ended up battling with a guy for 4th pretty much the entire race. Race ended up red flagged again on the last lap so I didn't get a chance to make a last second pass attempt. Shit. Oh-well... 5th place finish 6 seconds behind the leaders. Nobody close behind. Fastest lap was a 1:31 (well... it was a 31 according to my timer but a 32 according to my transponder...), that's 2 seconds faster than last month. Sweeeeeeeet. And I earned enough points to get out of novice!

Second race was Heavyweight Novice. There's just something about punking guys on liter bikes on the 6. What fun.
I was gridded 17th but got a pretty good start... probably got out of turn 1/2 in about 10th place and went to work making passes. Got several guys in 8/9 on the first lap and then got behind some nut-case on a CBR1000RR. Guy was not that fast but was erratic as hell and very scary to pass. I kept showing him a wheel but the dude would absolutely SLAM the door on me hard. He was holding me up so I decided to get him in a spot nobody expects to be passed. I set him up and got him HARD on the outside of 5 and into the inside of 6. Basically I went outside of him in 5 and then when he tried to slam the door in 6 he got a taste of his own. Once I got around him I went to work chasing the lead pack. I think that put me in 4th place. A lap or 2 later, out of NOWHERE some dude absolutely BLITZES me ont he front straight. Sumbitch. Them liter bikes are fast!!
I figured he'd check out but he didn't... I kept a pretty constant gap and neither of us caught the lead pack. On the last lap I realized I wasn't going to have time to catch him and attempt a pass so I looked behind me to find NOBODY so I backed it off and cruised home to another safe 5th. Fastest lap in Heavyweight was a 1:30 and I never really had any terribly hairy moments other than a couple of serious wind gusts in 8... felt really good the whole time.

What a great weekend!

Thank to TrackDaz, Cycle Gear and Suomy for the help and goodies... it's appreciated.

How long do I have to wait to do this again?

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great report bro. and sounds like your moving along pretty well out there. jamies bike looks darn good too man.
Getting a little bit faster and more comfortable all the time... and having a blast learning the 6. I can't believe how much fun I'm having on that bike.

Thanks. It's a pretty basic job but I think it looks alright...

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice riding man. I remember after the restart we both came in turn one together and then you were gone. I was like, damn, where did he go. LOL. See ya next month
Thanks Mike.

Feeling better out there... having a good time too.

You looked damn good too. What did you finish, like 11th or something? Nice job! Tthat's a bunch better than last month right?

Sorry to hear about your buddy... just read about him over at Socalsportbikes. I hope he has a quick recovery.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congrats Matt! I ended up 7th. Unfortunalty after last months crash in two, I was unble to get back to speed this weekend. Was running 1:30's last month at race pace, and only felt comfy turning 1:33-34's this month. Needless to say I was a bit dissapointed in myself, but knowing there was 30+ riders behind me that would trade places in a heartbeat did bring some comfort once I was home and everything was still in one peace. Good times

I'll be back!!!!!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Good job bringing her home in one piece...Congrats on the BUMP UP...!!!

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone.

And Dustin, even if they did protest me running a 600 in Heavyweight I'd still have my Middleweight points.
I also noticed a few other guys I raced in Middleweight were running Heavyweight too on their 600's...

Now it's time to get out of the Middleweight Nervice and chase you guys around in Expert. I know full well that finishes like this weekend won't happen anytime soon but it'll be nice racing with more experienced riders. Some of the novices are Squirrely as hell!!

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
I gotta aree with Dustin...you looked ood out there...very smoothe in the Omega..
cuzz I sat up there to watch you guys...

Once again nice paint job you did on Jamie's bike...
How much to paint mine when I get it..???
Hopefully NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gotta aree with Dustin...you looked ood out there...very smoothe in the Omega..
cuzz I sat up there to watch you guys...

Once again nice paint job you did on Jamie's bike...
How much to paint mine when I get it..???
Hopefully NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Greg!

Good luck getting your new ride... if you do want it painted we'll work something out.

that was fun.. even if i did suck this weekend. great job Matt.
Damn man... after the get-off you had last month you're bound to be a little shaken up.
I think you did the right thing... got back on the horse and started to build your confidence back up. You'll be back up to speed in no time.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes It was fun hanging out with the Track Daz guys Quig your fast good luck in the Expert races. Looks like I have one more Novice race under my belt since I only have 8 points. Im going to do my corner work next month on sat. Im going to bring my back pak filled with a trash bag with ice and Water and snacks. I know its going to be hot as hell out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.