Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to have the bike apart here shortly for some new parts, and one of the previous owners chromed the front wheel, and left the rear white. Nobody in my town chromes auto parts, I think Louisville is the closest city with a dip company. I need to make a decision pretty quick, do I try to dip the rear to match the aging front; dip both (could be out of budget range); or use my company's paint booth (and baker) and paint the rear to match the bike, black, and bake on the Matthew's acrylic enamel black after I blast the wheel?????? My buds are trying to talk me out of blasting both wheels and painting them black, but the front is getting some rust spots......

------------------
Twist this

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Blast'em I say.. if the front is starting to rust fresh new black will lookm better anway as well as not having to hose of the wheels whenever you want to ride........
just my 2cents
...Karl J

------------------

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TESTING

------------------
[IMG=http://a.postmypic.com/a.nsf/Z/88+750+JMJRI/$file/88+750+J.jpg

Twist this

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been leaning towards painting them anyway, so might as well do it. Do you think I should cut the old tires off, blast, paint, bake, then get the new ones on. Or, get the new tires on and mask them off to keep them from getting burgerd up when they put the new ones one?

------------------

Twist this

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Depends on if your tires are worth keeping, or not if you can just deflate and remove them, if you take the whole wheel to a service shop they might take your tires off.
blasting them of with a sand blaster is going to be messy and possibly hazzardous.

Karl J

------------------

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got access to a sandblaster that uses aluminum oxide sand (powder realy), so it will not pit the rim much as all.
I'll deflate the tires, (after I take the rotors off) and blast, prime, paint, bake, and then let them put the tires on. I already bought Metz MEZ3's, so I can't do the dunlop thing. I've noticed the race bikes have Dunlop's or Michelin's, but my buds just bought 01 SV650S, and 01Aprilla Falco, with Metz on them, and they are high priced like the Pilots, little less, and I found a wholesale price. Still set me back 220 after shipping. still good tires right?

------------------

Twist this

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
You'll be fine with the speeds you say you do.
Karl

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts