Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Married his Fleshlight... And Also touches people
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know i should save myself the trouble and not post this here but i will anyway.

Riding my favourite mountain range today, on my 750, went up fine, then went down again and well...

i came around i would say a 70degree turn at about 80kmh..nothing unusual, i wasn't pushing it. Mid corner, was off the gas and the front just washed out, no brakes..nothing. i slid across the oncoming lane, narrowly avoidng a car coming the other way. I slid across the road and the bike and i bounced off the guard rail and i jumped back up on my feet running. I just ran over to the bike picked it up, got it running and just headed home.

The bike isnt bad considering. the frame slider broke off but it still saved the bike a bit. Left side fairing has road rash and the tail section is cracked a little. Broken brake lever and gear shifter. So it is not as pretty but mechanically sound still.

I was wearing gloves , alpine star textile jacket, and kevlar jeans. I got a small amount of road rash on my elbow and knee but i have had worse from riding bicycles as a kid. My left nail on my pinky is nearly ripped off and i hurt my right hand pushing off the guard rail.

I am very very lucky i got off as lightly as i did......i am not going to blame oil but i didnt ride any different than i had the other 1000 times up that mountain.

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear it man. Glad to hear you're ok.
Thanks man. I really dont know how the bike and i got off so well. The bike went across 2 lanes...bounced off the guard rail and slid downhill back in to the left lane.

Ill post pictures soon.

Needless to say im going to stick to trail riding for a while. A lot less scary when you have a spill...

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Honestly shit just sometimes happens , iv had a couple of uneventful “off’s” ...

More than likely it was something on the road that broke the front end traction.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Honestly shit just sometimes happens , iv had a couple of uneventful “off’s” ...

More than likely it was something on the road that broke the front end traction.

Glad you got of lightly mate

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Glad you got of lightly mate
Yeh i dont want to be the guy who says he crashed "because there was gravel and a bit of jizz on the road", but this was just a complete wash out, no warning signs.

On all my bikes i have lost front wheel traction but there was always a bit of chatter or something, this time it was %100 traction to %0.

Anyway another valuable lesson...you think you are a good rider until it all goes wrong. Still hasnt effected my love for riding.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
Shit happens. Glad you're OK. Bike doesn't sound too bad. How clean was it pre-crash?

Remind your GF of this next time she refuses to gear-up!

·
Registered
55 Posts
That sucks, I'm glad your not banged up any worse than you are.
Hearing about accidents like this makes me paranoid. I think this winter I am going to buy news tires. My wife says she can feel the back tire slipping.

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm i was looking and its only $270AUD for a brand new left side fairing..not bad

·
Super Moderator
14,940 Posts
I'm curious...did you do a few sighting laps before you hit your favorite road hard to make sure there wasn't anything on the road?

Also remember that our front ends are never happy mid corner AND off the gas. Once we're mid corner we need to be rolling on the throttle, smoothly, evenly, and constantly.

Just a few things to consider as you try to reconstruct your accident in an effort to make sure it never happens again. As has been said though, Shit Happens!

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Also remember that our front ends are never happy mid corner AND off the gas. Once we're mid corner we need to be rolling on the throttle, smoothly, evenly, and constantly.
I noticed that off throttle comment as well.
A couple of months ago I posted that a K6 front I just purchased slid big time mid turn, didn't go down, I knew that corner, or at least thought, Ive been through that corner heaps over the years.
That turn is uphill, I was on my K4 on the weekend and I realised that right on the apex the surface flatens out just a bit and I did roll off ever so slightly.
I am now certain that the K6, despite the tyres being shit, the cause of the slide was me rolling off.
In my case, familiarity of the corner bred contempt for the fundamentals.
Glad your OK mate. Can fix the bike :cheers

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh..i would like to understand fully why it happened. I've ridden 10s of thousands of kms in the twisites and this road it was a lot of them. Its a bit hard thinking back on what happened. The part going around around the corner is not so memorable.as my exit ass sliding on the ground haha.

I did go to the gas station before hand to put air in the tyres. I hadnt ridden it in a few weeks, set front 36, rear 40. If the pump actually was accurate, who knows. Running pirelli angels

I went up first run a lot quicker than i did going down. Perfect clear sunny day, about 27 degrees

Corner itself i set up my body postion, braked, then turned in, i remember entering the corner, i said i was off throttle mid corner but i hadnt reached the point of where i should be accelerating, i still couldnt see the exit of the corner so to speak. but it was as i started leaning the bike over at some point traction completely disappeared. There was no warning or nothing. I just tipped it in but the bike it didn't turn it just washed out and i headed straight on into the guard rail.

I have lost front wheel traction on this 750 before but to a certain degree it was progressive and i didnt crash.

you get a lot of old shitty cars and big trucks going up there so it is very likely there could have been oil

I mean im definietly at fault in the end...if i hadn't of been going as fast as i was then i likely wouldnt be here posting this. I guess riding a sports bike quickly on the road is like gambling...you can reduce the risk but there always a what if

Im just happy i am alive and well and my bike will ride another day!

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,099 Posts
The throttle would likely be even more relevant to the incident if it had been rolled off immediately prior to loss of traction (although this is hard to be sure of in such circumstances) as the ensuing load transfer and geometry change would be more disruptive than simply going through the turn with an improper attitude. This could be more or less grave depending on damping settings (especially compression I would think). At any rate, I would expect this to lead to an accident only if the front tire was already near-critical in terms of traction and given that the tempo was "not pushing it", this shouldn't be the case, unless the local road conditions were somehow deteriorated at the spot.

It has happened to me, under otherwise seemingly ok conditions and without "pushing it" for the rear to simply break free mid-turn scoot over a little to the outside and resume normal operation without much drama. I could only explain this in terms to a very localized slippery spot (although other explanations may exist, and probably have to do with my control) and have wondered what would have happened if the front were to go through there. Perhaps this would be it. On the other hand in another case I could be certain I had gone through a local slippery spot when crossing a small stream created on the road mid-turn for some reason or other. I spotted it too late and couldn't shed enough speed, so I went through it at perhaps 60km/h or so. The front hydroplaned and I started to fall, but once on dry road again it immediately regained traction and arrested my fall (the whole process repeating itself with the rear a few milliseconds later). So even after going through a half-meter band or so of zero traction, the bike didn't have the time to capsize. Doubtlessly the amount of lean will have a major contribution. A few turns later I had a very similar accident to the OP's, luckily sans the oncoming traffic and with a friend ensuring me I was pushing it, having a pretty high amount of lean, which I found hard to believe, although it would seem to explain things. My tire probably went over the edge, traction-wise, when it crossed the paint of the road line; the rest is mostly the same.

Anyway, the most important part was the "narrowly avoiding a car coming the other way"; all else is secondary, but consider redefining your threshold of "pushing it". I suppose sometimes "shit just happens" and it's out of our control, but other times our control does contribute and as long as we can't accurately predict when we're "asking for it", leaving a greater margin for error would probably be a good idea.

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the aftermath

Don't ask me how i rode home with that clutch lever...adrenaline is a helluva drug.

I dont know how the bike is not totalled...it was not a simple low side..., it bounced off the guard rail. I think it hit the exhaust which is why it is a bit pancaked and the rest of the bike isnt too bad..

Yeh been thinking about it more...as said above i need to redefine of what i think not pushing it is. The fact that it was avoidable if i had of been going slower.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,099 Posts
If you hit the guard rail with the front wheel, make sure the forks are all right, i.e. both straight and still properly mounted. Mine (an old 400RR) felt funny after hitting it with the nose, but the forks turned out to be fine; just shifted inside the triples. Other than that, it was mostly fine.

Also, I will ask: how did you ride with that clutch lever?

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you hit the guard rail with the front wheel, make sure the forks are all right, i.e. both straight and still properly mounted. Mine (an old 400RR) felt funny after hitting it with the nose, but the forks turned out to be fine; just shifted inside the triples. Other than that, it was mostly fine.

Also, I will ask: how did you ride with that clutch lever?
I pretty much had to wrap my whole hand around the control switches, managed to have enough strength and leverage to pull it in. Luckily i only had to use it to get started twice. I live in a small city so there are not too many traffic lights. That and i could shift up and down without the clutch.

Looks like all the force of the guard rail was put on the exhaust. It was ripped out of the hanger and pancaked a bit. The front end seems untouched. The clip on is not even bent...i guess i was already leaning over far enough i didnt hit the ground too hard...

I wish i had a video so i could analyze the whole thing better

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha yeh a little short for my liking. Luckily i still have stock levers, good excuse to throw away the chinese garbage on there.

Here is a photo of the left hand cowling...i dont know how much i could clean it up. A new piece is $300AUD

I went and sprayed the engine cases already.

Next problem is that it hit the exhaust so hard its stuck in the mid pipe -_- anyone got any ideas??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
bentoverhard69
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing