Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking my k5 in a few day and had a question on motoman's break in. I will be breaking it in on the street and I keep reading his article about street break in and its just not giving me too much. here is what it says and ill give you my questions after.

On the Street:
Warm the engine up completely:
Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want
anyone to get hit from behind !!

Ok now how many times should I open it up in 2nd,3rd and fourth? do I have to redline it or not.
My last question is after I do this is the bike all broken in, can I treat it like it has a 1000 miles on it and redline it as I like or should I still wait till 600 miles before it is truly broken in.

thanks in advance and here is the link to his website in case anyone wants to read the whole article.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I don't think i'd redline it at 0 miles.... the point of the hard acceleration is to put as much load on the rings as you can. the most load is when your engine is doing the most work... aka WOT. you don't have to be going 100 mph. in a best case scenario your bike would be pulling something that kept it from going too fast and you vould put stress on the engine that way. that's all he's saying.

·
Registered
565 Posts
zactly wat wolph69 said! but for some reason i think i read to do it like 3 times in all indicated gears, but i am not sure so i would like this aspect of the question to be answered. Also it says to wait till bike is bike is warmed up completely. now wat is completely? should i start it and let it run to full temp? will it even get to full temp from just running and not riding? or should i start her up let it run for a few and ride it to warm up the rest of the way? He also says that the first 20 miles are crucial to i dont want to do anything wrong.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is what I did....1st I warmed up bike completely. Meaning not by temp gauge. I let it warm for 5 mins to get all engine components warmed up.

I took bike to a open road early in morning with no traffic!!!

1st 3 runs......1/2 throttle 4th gear up too 8 grand RPM.....get off throttle let it engine brake.

2nd 3 runs.....3/4 throttle 4th gear too 10k rpm.....engine brake

3rd and last.....WOT.....4th gear too 12k rpm......this was hardest to do as the bike gets up too speeds of over 130 mph.
This method is not for rookies as getting up too that speed is dangerous for inexperienced.

I wanted too change oil at 20 miles...but was already away from home. I changed it at 100 miles. It was very black and mirky...looked like a 3000 mile change looking oil.

I really cant say if this way was better as i would need to either rn it against a reg break in bike or dyno it against a regualr break in bike.

JC

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did the motoman street break in on my k5 similar to that posted above except I did a couple more repititions at each lvl.

I did 4 or 5 runs in 3rd gear up to 6k rpm at 1/2 throttle
5 or 6 more in 3rd to 8k at 3/4 throttle
then about 5 or 6 in 3rd at full throttle up to about 10k

Everytime I made sure to let the engine bring me back down to speed - did not use the break

I then went back to the shop and they changed the oil for me. I think I had 28 miles on it.

I have since put on about 550 miles of varied riding with bursts of hard. I still have not brought it up to redline. I plan on bringing it in for it's 600 mile check on tuesday. I'll probably bring it out and get on it at that time.

I don't have access to a dyno so I can't tell you if it was more successful at seating the rings then any other method. I just know that it's fast (like there is such thing as a liter bike that isn't).

·
Premium Member
41,722 Posts
This is what I did with my K3 and my wifes 04 750. After its nice and warm in 2nd and 3rd gear I would open up the throttle 75% up to 9K and let it engine break down to super low rpms then back up to 9K. I did this over and over and over all the way home and that was a total of 25 miles.

·
Registered
565 Posts
This is what I did....1st I warmed up bike completely. Meaning not by temp gauge. I let it warm for 5 mins to get all engine components warmed up.

I took bike to a open road early in morning with no traffic!!!

1st 3 runs......1/2 throttle 4th gear up too 8 grand RPM.....get off throttle let it engine brake.

2nd 3 runs.....3/4 throttle 4th gear too 10k rpm.....engine brake

3rd and last.....WOT.....4th gear too 12k rpm......this was hardest to do as the bike gets up too speeds of over 130 mph.
This method is not for rookies as getting up too that speed is dangerous for inexperienced.

I wanted too change oil at 20 miles...but was already away from home. I changed it at 100 miles. It was very black and mirky...looked like a 3000 mile change looking oil.

I really cant say if this way was better as i would need to either rn it against a reg break in bike or dyno it against a regualr break in bike.

JC
the motoman web site said you do not have to go over 60 its just needs you to open the throttle quick so the force sets the rings. I dunno but i think im gonna have to talk to motoman in a lettler or something to get this straight cause we are not gettin the rite answers here.

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
Use the dyno method but use 3rd gear on the street. You will not get a straight answer from Motoman because if he tells you to go wfo on the street you can sue HIM after YOU do something fucking idiotic like try the break-in on the freeway during rush hour. Blame the trial lawyers. Those blood sucking scumbags should all be sent to France. Kill two vultures with one stone.

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
what info? I did my last two bikes that way. Strong, use no oil, and the break-in takes 15 minutes. It's perfect.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Take it to the track and go balls to the wall for an hour. Acceleration and Decceleration are all in a track day.

DO NOT GO TO SYNTHETIC OIL TILL AT LEAST 2500 miles.

·
Registered
565 Posts
what info? I did my last two bikes that way. Strong, use no oil, and the break-in takes 15 minutes. It's perfect.
then i dunno maybe you can illaborate more on this topic. another words write it like you tellin someone that does not know anything about it and then i probly will understand better.
i dont get how you say use 3rd cause it says to use 1 2 3 4 and do it 3 times each. and then you said no oil so im just a little lost. write this like your writing for a dummie and it will help me alot thank you

·
Registered
79 Posts
then i dunno maybe you can illaborate more on this topic. another words write it like you tellin someone that does not know anything about it and then i probly will understand better.
i dont get how you say use 3rd cause it says to use 1 2 3 4 and do it 3 times each. and then you said no oil so im just a little lost. write this like your writing for a dummie and it will help me alot thank you
No offense, but you really sound clueless about everything involving this subject.
If you driving skills are like your mechanical ones please use the manual to break in the bike because it will not end up well othervise.

·
Registered
565 Posts
No offense, but you really sound clueless about everything involving this subject.
If you driving skills are like your mechanical ones please use the manual to break in the bike because it will not end up well othervise.
and what fuckin help was that? sometimes people need to keep quiet. I just do not want to fuck it up so i want to be extremely clear on wat to do. but nah you gotta bust balls, dude it was not nessesary

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Moto man's methods are great to get some great results from engines. But his methods are for power, not life. Do u want you engine to last, or to make the 1-3 more h.p.

Straight from the Tech Reps of suzuki.

Engine has 3 critical areas.
1. Plain bearings (crank)
2. piston/cylinder condition
3. valve train components

Each one of these areas are made of different alloys (or metals), and have different hardining techniquies.

Your plain bearings establish their wear pattern at lower rpm's. Which is why they tell u to keep rpm at low, or below 6,000.
Piston cylinder wear is established at mid rpm.
Valve train or more importantly the face seat of the valves is established at high R's.

U all can do what u want, and how u want. This is just what i was tought in my F.A.S.T. program.

Stick to what the manual says, they do it for a reason, and no its not to keep them from getten sued.

D

·
Registered
565 Posts
thanks 420 good look but he does not say you have to go over 6 grand just that you need to open the trottle for a waaaaaaaatttttt and rush or flood the gas in to set the rings

·
Registered
79 Posts
and what fuckin help was that? sometimes people need to keep quiet. I just do not want to fuck it up so i want to be extremely clear on wat to do. but nah you gotta bust balls, dude it was not nessesary
Wasn't trying to be a dick.. just wanted to let you know that it's not recommended to jump on it (if you are a new rider) for the first time and twist the throttle up to 10k rpm in 3-4th gear..

If that's not the case my bad..

·
Registered
888 Posts
thanks 420 good look but he does not say you have to go over 6 grand just that you need to open the trottle for a waaaaaaaatttttt and rush or flood the gas in to set the rings
anyone seeing that the question is does he even have to go over 6 grand?? can he do a proper break in without redlining or going up to 10 or 12 grand?

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
I knew I did somthing wrong.

When I picked up my 05 1K at the dealer which by the way is my first bike ever and no i do not hve a motorcycle licence. I jumped on it and reved it to 13,500 in neutral for 3 minutes while the motor was still cold so I could warm it up.

Next I did a 2 minute burn out to warm up the tires.

Finally I stunted in the parking lot bouncing the bike of the rev limiter showing off before I rode home 45 miles keeping the rpms at 13000 all the way there.

I wish I would have read this post sooner.

Well i guess I am going to go out and crash my bike while stunting so I can get a new one and also make all your insurace rates go up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I knew I did somthing wrong.

When I picked up my 05 1K at the dealer which by the way is my first bike ever and no i do not hve a motorcycle licence. I jumped on it and reved it to 13,500 in neutral for 3 minutes while the motor was still cold so I could warm it up.

Next I did a 2 minute burn out to warm up the tires.

Finally I stunted in the parking lot bouncing the bike of the rev limiter showing off before I rode home 45 miles keeping the rpms at 13000 all the way there.

I wish I would have read this post sooner.

Well i guess I am going to go out and crash my bike while stunting so I can get a new one and also make all your insurace rates go up.
HAHAHAHAH, that's great, it's nice to see a sense of humor on here! I think i'm going to use the rraiderr method on my next bike! I'm actually thinkin about starting up a "Break-in your bike" service. Give me your bike for a weekend and $129.99 for "Labor" and i'll "break" it in nicely for you!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts