Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have pics or more details other than it tore at the weld (not sure if was in the weld, or on the seam) but like before it hit a wall at 100+mph at Summit Point in turn 4.

I'm not surprised by this, I knew they were gonna disintegrate at that point anyway, but jsut a heads up.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I really don't want to ride on the tracks that you visit if running into walls is a common occurence.......maybe it's doctor time ?
Si

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ok, so a bike going down happens alot at the track, but bikes have been racing for years...Have we just not heard of frames cracking at a weld before, or is this just being brought out because its a new bike?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Suzuki gets targeted by other brand whores. If a frame snaps it's "build quality". If a Honda frame snaps the guy must have "fucked up and put it into the wall at a weird angle."

Directly related to short guy syndrome.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You know I read on another board what a professional welder wrote about the pictures of the first Frame break. His reply was that of course it will break at the weld because the weld doesn't flex. Its not poor craftsmanship or poor penetration its just the way metal is. Very rigid at the weld. And into a wall at 100mph.... snap. Im not worried (anymore).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Suzuki gets targeted by other brand whores. If a frame snaps it's "build quality". If a Honda frame snaps the guy must have "fucked up and put it into the wall at a weird angle."

exactly, lets get sport rider of some one to do the 100 mph in the wall test to see which on is best - No bike could do well in that test.

As per the welding quality, what most people do not know is that Aluminum welding does not penetrate like Steel, That is why they can not make nice flush welds, they can only weld over the joint to make them join.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the past frames just bent up real good and needed either extensive repair or a new frame.

The newer frames from ALL the manufacturers are relying less on stamped aluminum and using new casting methods.

This allows for frames with less flex, as well as lighter.

A lighter item which is more brittle (from less flex) just breaks, as we are seeing.

The R6 swingarms and subframes do this all the time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can someone explain me why somebody should give a shit about a broken weld after hitting a wall at 100 mph!!!??? Is that a joke or what???

I'll be more than happy that every weld and parts broke on the bike if it can make it easier on my body.

That weld failure propaganda is the joke of the year!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
people need to stop stressing until a weld breaks from normal or even hard riding on the street. ya if you ride any bike into a wall stuff will break. the K5 is built good and is a strong bike but if you crash it into somthing at a high rate of speed then something will give. It only goes to show that the frame is built strong (stronger then the welds) which is a good thing.
Don't think for a min a honda kaw or yam wouldnt break something. There welds are just as strong as our K5's its just there frames arent thats why there frames bend or crack. UNDERSTAND?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Perhaps some penis envy mixed in too.

This whole discussion is starting to sound pointless. Perhaps in next year's liter bike shootout, one of the tests should be how well frame holds up after goin headlong into a wall at 100mph, and after all the testing is done they can launch all 4-5 of the test bikes into a concrete barrier and see what happens

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
In the past frames just bent up real good and needed either extensive repair or a new frame.

The newer frames from ALL the manufacturers are relying less on stamped aluminum and using new casting methods.

This allows for frames with less flex, as well as lighter.

A lighter item which is more brittle (from less flex) just breaks, as we are seeing.

The R6 swingarms and subframes do this all the time.
the R's were infamous for this problem.. expecially the R1 subframe when they first came out...

its a little distressing that casting is turning out this way

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not to sound like a broken record, if my frame breaks due to a 100mph crash INTO A WALL, cool with me as long as I live. Seriously who gives a shit, do you honestly think an R1 of ZX-10 frame is going to fair much better in this circumstance? I think not.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
It might actually be a good thing that the frames are splitting down the weld seam so the segments remain intact. You could then easily repair the frame instead of throwing it into the scrap bin.

It seems to me the way these K5 frames are designed is that we are going to see them break like we are seeing. It certainly doesn't mean that the frames are at risk of failing on their own. Although it was interesting to see the weld segment on the first pictures we saw in Colorado, which was certainly not a complete 100% solid weld. Whether that was done for a reason or not remains unanswered.

As I've said before the two opposing metal types that Suzuki is using requires special attention in order to get a 100% quality weld into. It is not an easy thing to do welding stamped aluminum to cast aluminum.

In my opinion Suzuki needs to improve on their welding procedures to bring up the quality. I have several weld seams on my K5 frame that are not 100% quality visually but that in itself doesn't necessarily mean the weld will fail especially on it's own from normal fatigue. It's just a visual queue that can be eliminated if the process is perfected on the assembly line.

I will be interested in seeing next years production run to see if they change or improve constancy. Still for all of us it is nothing to worry about. These frames are relatively safe and until we see any failures apart from 100+ mph crashes into walls then ride on with confidence.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.