Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have an 01 GSXR 2001. It won't start when hot. It slow cranks a couple of times like a dead battery each time I press the starter. It used to either start after a few goes or with a bit of throttle, now it just fries the starter motor, it's done it two starter motors immediately after each other! Starts fine cold and runs well aside from this.

If I start the bike and run it at idle up to hot enough for the fan to come on and then shut off it starts fine. Bike needs to be ridden and then have some heavy traffic to get hot enough to cause problems.

No other electrical issues, hasn't blown any fuses or anything

Cleaned the earth wire to the engine, contacts are good.

Battery is a few months old, with 13+ volts (I forget what the charging voltage is)

I don't think it's the temp sensor cos the temp seems pretty stable

Checked the valve clearances, all well within tolerance.

90K KM, serviced a few times since I've had it in the last 12 months, some Ali in the oil once but not in the most recent service.

Any advice or ideas of what to check next greatly appreciated

·
Registered
286 Posts
Have You checked the stator?
I had 750 GSXR Y model and had similar problems where the stator wiring was a bit burnt. But it did not burn the starting motor.

On the other hand my previous 750 GSXR k6 had hot start problems where I think it could have been starter motor brushes (adding a bit of throttle was helping) which is not the case here as You installed new starter motors and fried them (you did not turn them for too long, did you?).

Have You done anything recently to your starter motor gears cover? Is it right hand side on K1? If the cover is too tight it might be stopping your starter motor from turning on hot engine... on k6 You could easily check it taking off the little cover on that gear but I don't think it's the same on K1, I don't really remember well (maybe under CAP, STARTER IDLE GEAR you could check if gears turn freely, always one way). It is worrying that starter motors got fried - it never happened to me with that sort of problem.

I did not help much I reckon but good luck with it Mate!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have You checked the stator?
I had 750 GSXR Y model and had similar problems where the stator wiring was a bit burnt. But it did not burn the starting motor.

On the other hand my previous 750 GSXR k6 had hot start problems where I think it could have been starter motor brushes (adding a bit of throttle was helping) which is not the case here as You installed new starter motors and fried them (you did not turn them for too long, did you?).

Have You done anything recently to your starter motor gears cover? Is it right hand side on K1? If the cover is too tight it might be stopping your starter motor from turning on hot engine... on k6 You could easily check it taking off the little cover on that gear but I don't think it's the same on K1, I don't really remember well (maybe under CAP, STARTER IDLE GEAR you could check if gears turn freely, always one way). It is worrying that starter motors got fried - it never happened to me with that sort of problem.

I did not help much I reckon but good luck with it Mate!
Thanks for the info. No, I didn’t fry the starter by pressing the button too long, it just does it straight away! I’m starting to think something is causing too much resistance for the starter, hence it’s poor cranking and now frying. Don’t think it’s the cover cos I’ve had that off and no damage.

Could dodgy stator wire burn the starter motor out?

Cheers

·
Registered
286 Posts
I doubt that dodgy wire would burn the starter motor... however I'm not an electrician ;)
If the cover is too tight you won't see any damage to it, it pushes the gear and stops it from turning - I had alternator cover (cheap one) from China installed onto my k6 and its part going onto the axle of starter clucth gear was blocking it from turning when You tightened the screws on the cover but my starting motor was not turning at all just doing 'click' and I could hear it not turning. I had to file that bit and it was okay but that's a different story. If You did not fiddle with the cover, changed it or the gasket it should be fine.
I would still check the stator wiring if You don't need to replace it. You may need a spare gasket for generator cover if it's not been touched for a while :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone that suggested stuff. I've been away in Bali doing some MX for the past couple of weeks.

Got back to my GSXR, fitted the new (used) starter motor which came with a new lead to the starter relay, fitted a new CCT as the old was was loose at low ambient temps on first start up (common fault I hear) and then took the starter cover off and put back on with new gasket and the bolts only just snug. Seems to have fixed the issue for now. Not sure which of those was the culprit but I guess it could've been any. The issue better not come back!!

Anyways, a big thanks to all that commented cos I just needed a few things to check to keep me motivated.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have seen an issue in the past where the starter clutch was sticking so the starter was turning the entire time the motor was running. He burned out two starters before we figured out what was happening.
My bike had the hot start issue a while back. Disassembled the starter and cleaned the brushes and contacts thoroughly. Hasn't returned since.
I have heard several 'guaranteed' fixes for this issue, but seems like each bike has been fixed by different things. ??
Agreed on the ground check. Anything electrical needs a solid ground. Corrosion can cause all kinds of odd issues.
Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
tsonksen
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing